Re-assembling the Tranny Pre Selector Assembly

mznyc

3 hours ago, audiomick said:

Could you tell me (us) which part number you are referring to? The parts must be on this diagram:

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/schaltung-v11-02-le-mansskura-ex-30_3006_300602_30060203_3006020330_300602033012.html

I expect to be going in there in the foreseeable future (maybe this winter), and would like to have those sort of things ready to go before I start. :)

PS:

How does one do that?  B)  :grin:

Item 13 Mick. I'd buy 2 but unless you're a ham fisted moron then snap rings/Circlips like these can be reused many times.

Phil

• Thanks 1

That's curious. The manual starts off the gearbox disassembly section with "make sure the gearbox is in neutral"

page 326 here

https://guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/1100/V11_1999-2003_Atelier(Compil-GB-D-NL).pdf

and when they get around to refitting the selector on page 348, they talk about lining up the dots, and "Important: The fitting procedure for the pre-selector cover
must only be carried out when the gearbox is in neutral."

but the lined up dots is actually first gear? :huh:

That is my recollection, yet it has been a while since I was in there.

Take a look at the discussion on the first page where @mznyc clarified his markings.

As always, y'all check my work. . .

16 minutes ago, docc said:

...the first page where @mznyc clarified his markings.

Yeah, he talks about putting it in first, and maintains that the dots line up in first. Baldini, however, wrote that the box should be in neutral to re-fit the selectors.

As I wrote, curious.

Has anyone been in there recently and can clear my confusion? :huh:

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

Thanks Marty.

Then the workshop book seems to be misleading or incomplete(or I didn't read it thoroughly enough). Who would have thought... :huh2::whistle:

I've done a few of these and my recollection is the dots line up in neutral and not all cam wheels have dots either. There are variations. Early selectors without the banana support and non adjustable overtravel pin and the later adjustable pin and banana support plate and as well as that there was an update kit sold for the earlier gearboxes that included a new cover, adjustable pin and banana plate.

Phil 

• Like 2

So the moral of the story seems to be, read everything here and everywhere else you can find good info, believe it all, and then have a look for yourself and think very carefully about it all despite what you have read up til then. B)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

So the moral of the story seems to be, read everything here and everywhere else you can find good info, believe it all, and then have a look for yourself and think very carefully about it all despite what you have read up til then. B)

Pretty much. I did a how to post years ago. It's all pretty straight forward. High points

Don't attempt to adjust the main eccentric adjuster on the bike. It's a bench adjustment only despite what people do.

The shift returns spring on the stop plate assy can be installed upside down. When installed wrongly the spring arm rubs on the cover

The pawl arm over travel stop if adjustable should be .60mm clearance at the minimum point in the travel

Fit a scudd needle roller to the detent drum

Fit a Chuck spring

Check the pawl arm is straight and fine finish the contact faces.

Phil 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 2:32 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Pretty much. I did a how to post years ago. It's all pretty straight forward. High points

Don't attempt to adjust the main eccentric adjuster on the bike. It's a bench adjustment only despite what people do.

The shift returns spring on the stop plate assy can be installed upside down. When installed wrongly the spring arm rubs on the cover

The pawl arm over travel stop if adjustable should be .60mm clearance at the minimum point in the travel

Fit a scudd needle roller to the detent drum

Fit a Chuck spring

Check the pawl arm is straight and fine finish the contact faces.

Phil 

cheers for your write-up on the gearbox phil- got me thru it.

It was only after i re-re-read it that i realised i should’ve draw-filed the bearing surfaces- i polished them but probably put a slight radius on them.
Working bloody lovely though now 🙂. Makes me appreciate the v11 setup as when it’s good it’s very good.  I got a vfr400 this year and the action thru the box is no comparison. Which i wouldn’t have expected as when i saw inside the v11 guts it looked so… agricultural?

• Like 3