Problem with Gear Box

JBastida

Hi guys.

I`ve a problem with the gearbox (I supose) of my V11 Cafe Sport 2004.

After more than three weeks without using the bike I tried this afternoon:

In put neutral gear, turn on, and everitihng looked like been ok. But.....

I started riding, first gear... and when I tried to put second gear the bike remained in first gear.

My sensaations concerning the lever are: nothing hapens. The lever goes up and down without any sensation or reaction on my foot.

Edit: Not possible to put neutral gear agaqin either.

Do you know if it is a typical breakdown? (expensive?)

Wath could have hapend?

Thanks indeed.

Best regards

First to look at the external linkage at the foot lever. It should pivot up and down, pulling a short rod which rotates a small lever pinched onto a shaft coming out of the left gear box side case.

Does the action of the foot lever appear to rotate the shaft?

First to look at the external linkage at the foot lever. It should pivot up and down, pulling a short rod which rotates a small lever pinched onto a shaft coming out of the left gear box side case.

All external linkage look ok.

I've realized too, that the bike have a small leak just below the gearbox. Really small, as tehe are no oil on the ground of my parking, but there are oil on the cross pipe of the exaust, and a drop of oil below the gear box.

Thanks docc

Thanks docc

If all external linkage is moving and it feels like nothing internally is engaging it is likely a broken pawl spring. Although I didn't know the 04 model was still prone to this. A pretty easy fix once the starter and transmission cover are removed if you are one to try it yourself. Much has been written about this failure here. Do a search.

Thanks docc

If all external linkage is moving and it feels like nothing internally is engaging it is likely a broken pawl spring. Although I didn't know the 04 model was still prone to this. A pretty easy fix once the starter and transmission cover are removed if you are one to try it yourself. Much has been written about this failure here. Do a search.

Thank you very much Dan.

Check out this excellent pictorial by belfastguzzi :oldgit: in the How To forum:

Gearbox Selector Spring and Pawl Arm repair

That is an excellent write up.

I now carry a spare spring so I know mine will never break :rolleyes:

E X C E L L E N T

My bike is already repaired (After less than 48 hours!!!!) as Guzzi had spare springs in Spain. Incredible!

Thank you all guys.

• 10 months later...

By 2004, I should think the bike would have the correct pawl arm? Sorry I can't remember the various details now.

Did you measure the size of the boss on the arm when you changed the spring before?

Unfortunately the springs do seem to just keep breaking and there is no guarantee that a changed spring will last for any particular time. Mine did not survive for anything like the miles that yours did.

By 2004, I should think the bike would have the correct pawl arm?

I would not be shocked if Guzzi just threw anything lying around in there.Possibly an older pawl arm with incorrect sized boss. <_>

It's not a big deal to pull the cover off,but the cost of the pawl arm,@ $70 US is cheaper than a couple hrs of my time to pull the cover,replace spring and put back together.Anyone changing the spring should change the the pawl at the same time if they dont want to open it up again in the near future,...

Last time I trusted in a prestigious guzzi mechanic here in spain. So I didn't measure anithing, and he decided not to change pawl arm.

This time I will check all pieces (old an new ones) and I will compare them, to post it here. May be we will reach to a useful conclusion.

I've already ordered both pieces to Stein Dinse, but pawl arm are not in their stock, so we have to wait for MG delivery time (2-3weeks, may be more in august)

Thanks guys!

To be continued...

...ordered both pieces to Stein Dinse, but pawl arm are not in their stock, so we have to wait for MG delivery time (2-3weeks, may be more in august)...

Have measured the diameter of the post on the pawl arm you have now?

KB :sun:

I found that the way the spring is shaped, it winds tightly around the shaft during shift action. Once it is wound tight, the stress is at one spot near the end of the bend, where it typically breaks.

If you bend the new spring slightly to relieve some of the tension, it will not wind as tightly against the shaft. The spring does not need to have a lot of tension against the arm. It is just there to keep the arm in place against the shift mechanism.