Changing the Scura Clutch.Options for replacments.

mznyc

After trying multiple solutions to solve bad shifting,Ive been convinced by the experts to replace the clutch.

Mike at MPH said they have replaced the bad single plate Rams with California single plate steel flywheel models.Before Greg Field left MI he said a single plater from a Norge may be a viable option,unfortunately he left before he could give me an answer,I'll email Micha and see what he says. Anybody replace one with one other than the standard Ram replacement? Have a source?

Thanks

Michael

Keith did you have some fitment issues with the RAM? The rumor is that Ram is owned by Guzzi,and with the problems of the original ,I'm reluctant to go there and they are about $700.00 US currently.Not eliminating them ,just want opinions on other possible options.

I spoke to Charlie Cole at length today and he feels that when Guzzi went to the 8 spring single plate set-ups ,that they weren't adequate for the amount of torque the big bore motors produced and didn't last nearly as long as a twin plater.(His experience with his race bikes).For someone like me who only rides it for backroad scratching and very little stop'n'go riding a twin-plater and it's extra weight shouldn't be a problem.Also Pete Roper replaced his Scura's with a twin plater,good'n'nuff for me.

If I do go to the trouble and expense to replace it,I dont want to have to go back in there for quite some time :whistle:

New Options feel free to add to it please

RAM-$700.00

MG OEM 04 California Complete Kit Single Plate w/Steel Flywheel New-$831.00

MG OEM California Dual Plate Kit(not sure about year) New-$760.00

MG OEM 04 Lemans Dual Plate Kit(10 springer) New-$540.00

MG OEM 07 Norge Single Plate Kit New-$543.00

Used

Ebay Probably find some of these cheap,but no guarantee what I'll get.

The reputable shops,IE Reeboot ,MI,etc more $ but good reputations and you know what your gettin

You can keep your flywheel with all of these options?

I guess I had the impression it was one of the most suspect parts in the equation. :huh2:

You can keep your flywheel with all of these options?

I guess I had the impression it was one of the most suspect parts in the equation. :huh2:

No docc,Id be replacing the whole assembly

Hi Michael, yes, there was a bit of pissing about with RAM unit: kit was supplied without bolt set so I had to dismantle to fit & centre button was wrong size & I replaced with stock Scura piece. Richard100t's sounds a great offer.

KB :sun:

Hi Michael, yes, there was a bit of pissing about with RAM unit: kit was supplied without bolt set so I had to dismantle to fit & centre button was wrong size & I replaced with stock Scura piece. Richard100t's sounds a great offer.

Keith did you use MG special tools during the operation or fabricate or buy generic ones?

Yup I think it looks great,just want Micha and Pete Roper's opinions of twin vs single plate replacement.

Pete? :huh2:

...Keith did you use MG special tools during the operation or fabricate or buy generic ones?

Yup I think it looks great,just want Micha and Pete Roper's opinions of twin vs single plate replacement.

Michael,

You'll need to lock flwheel whilst releasing bolts that fix it to crank - I use a steel plate which I bolt between crancase studs & outer holes on flywheel - be careful not overstress those studs. You'll need something to centre the clutch plates - I use an old clutch hub. You have to get clutch centred properly or it's a real pig to mate motor to trans. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Keith did you use MG special tools during the operation or fabricate or buy generic ones?

I have Pete's Scura, and he had the single plate changed out before he took delivery. He told me that while some people don't seem to have any trouble with them, he didn't want it to blow up when he was out in urine drinking country in the west.. :whistle:

I have Pete's Scura, and he had the single plate changed out before he took delivery. He told me that while some people don't seem to have any trouble with them, he didn't want it to blow up when he was out in urine drinking country in the west.. :whistle:

H Ha :grin: Thanks Chuck I believe he said he changed it to a twin-plater in a thread could''t find it,hopefully I can get him to confirm/deny.

H Ha :grin: Thanks Chuck I believe he said he changed it to a twin-plater in a thread could''t find it,hopefully I can get him to confirm/deny.

I remember reading that thread too and I also remember him going to a twin plate setup. They are thought to be more reliable but other than the Scura flywheel problem I havent heard much other trouble with the single plate setup. The twin plate is more money too, which is another consideration.

I guess I have been the odd man out on the Scura clutch situation. Although I have sold my Scura, I remember this internet frenzy about the clutch.

I loved the stock clutch and aluminum flywheel. It was the best-performing Guzzi clutch that I'd ever used. Pull is so light and take-up is so clean. The motor revs quickly and with spunk. I loved it.

I was never convinced that the clutch problems talked about were as widespread as many people believed. Yeah, some pics from europe of an exploded flywheel and holes in the engine cases are striking. However, I asked a prominent tech guy and dealer if there was ever any problems with the venerated twin-plate clutch. "Not very often" he replied but occasionally something did happen even to those he said.

So, my speculation was that the incidents of single plate failures may be within some typical rate of incidents, much in the same way as with the twin-plate clutch. I just never believed that ALL single plate Guzzi clutches would grenade. I have known of a good number of them that did not.

I dunno. I think if I was having trouble with my single plate Guzzi clutch, Id remove it and look things over. I'd be sure to check the bolts on the flywheel and maybe try to add some washers to the heads if they werent there. If I didn't see anything amiss, I'd bolt it all up and try again.

• Like 1

I guess I have been the odd man out on the Scura clutch situation. Although I have sold my Scura, I remember this internet frenzy about the clutch.

I loved the stock clutch and aluminum flywheel. It was the best-performing Guzzi clutch that I'd ever used. Pull is so light and take-up is so clean. The motor revs quickly and with spunk. I loved it.

I was never convinced that the clutch problems talked about were as widespread as many people believed. Yeah, some pics from europe of an exploded flywheel an holes in the engine cases are striking. However, I asked a prominent tech guy and dealer if there was ever any problems with the venerated twin-plate clutch. "Not very often" he replied but occasionally something did happen even to those he said.

So, my speculation was that the incidents of single plate failures may be within some typical rate of incidents, much in the same way as with the twin-plate clutch. I just never believed that ALL single plate Guzzi clutches would grenade. I have known of a good number of them that did not.

I dunno. I think if I was having trouble with my single plate Guzzi clutch, Id remove it and look things over. I'd be sure to check the bolts on the flywheel and maybe try to add some washers to the heads if they werent there. If I didn't see anything amiss, I'd bolt it all up and try again.

I've seen quite a few pictures of the Scura flywheels with cracks in them. If Guzzi only made 600 or so Scura's then the problem is much higher than 2% of them. The clutch disc is a wearable item and if I owned a Scura with that flywheel, the next time the disc needed replaced the flywheel would be replaced. The problem with that flywheel is if it does go and you're moving pretty fast when it does its going to be very bad.