Engine Removal/Clutch Replacement How To

mznyc

Well I ran into a problem.

The new(used 08 Griso) hub Reboot sent me is not the same ID.Internal splines are much smaller and will not match input shaft to the transmission. :homer:

Thoughts before I contact Peter? x

Thanks

Which one is the 'New' part? The one on the left in two of the pics? The 'Short' one? If so it's like no Guzzi hub I've ever seen and the spigot on it is too wide to fit in the case by the look of it.

Can I ask why you're even contemplating a second hand part in this situation where the hubs are a known wear point? It's barmy. Like running a new chain on old sprockets you'll just end up with accelerated wear.

Pete

PS just having looked at this pic again

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/uploads/post-2704-13371336454567_thumb.jpg

it would appear that one of those clutches is a poxy Transkontinental! . Now they open up an entire new world of horrible! Really. Time to stop stuffing about and stick a twinplater in it!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Pete,

Thats what this whole project is, putting in a twin-plater not a single.A used low mileage from Peter at Reboot.The hub looks like it's almost new,but since it doesnt fit its useless.Got an email in to Pete to see what he says.Another member did the same swap with same parts from Pete with no problems but he didnt change the hub as it was fine according to him.If he had tried we would have known there was a problem.The single plater is a new RAM aftermarket that Richard100 gave me a deal on,but decided to go to the 2on the advice of yours,Mike Wilson and others ,by the way glad I did as Im learning a lot as I go.Just put pics in so you could see internals as you suspected my original clutch as changed or different from what it should be.

The new hub(Griso) is the ones on the left in the first two pics and on the right in the last one.

Michael

Hey Pete,

Thats what this whole project is, putting in a twin-plater not a single.A used low mileage from Peter at Reboot.The hub looks like it's almost new,but since it doesnt fit its useless.Got an email in to Pete to see what he says.Another member did the same swap with same parts from Pete with no problems but he didnt change the hub as it was fine according to him.If he had tried we would have known there was a problem.The single plater is a new RAM aftermarket that Richard100 gave me a deal on,but decided to go to the 2on the advice of yours,Mike Wilson and others ,by the way glad I did as Im learning a lot as I go.Just put pics in so you could see internals as you suspected my original clutch as changed or different from what it should be.

The new hub(Griso) is the ones on the left in the first two pics and on the right in the last one.

Michael

Gimme an address and I'll bung two hubs in the mail to you for you to try. The shorter on is a new Griso/Breva one the used one'll be a five speed one. Not sure which is right but you can find out bt measuring and slve the problem for both of us!!!

Pete

Pete, From memory, top assy in Michael's photo looks exactly like the original from my Scura, & bottom assy is same as RAM aftermarket I replaced it with. No Transkontinental.

Michael, The shiny hub in your photos looks very much like a 5speed one. Splined end of 5 speed input shaft is smaller diameter than V11 6speed. Are you sure you have a clutch & hub out of a Griso?

I've never seen a Griso hub & don't know any dimensions, but I'd be surprised if it had similar hub to 5speed.

I use copper grease on bolt/screw threads that get very hot & I may want to dismantle at some time, also on exhaust parts etc. I use regular LM high melting point grease on stuff that doesn't get v hot. I use blue loctite on stuff I'm worried might loosen off. As I said, dunno if that's right, but it's worked OK for me.

KB :sun:

Single plate clutch.jpg

Are you sure you have a clutch & hub out of a Griso?

He,he,,.....no.Taking Peter's word for it.He has a good reputation so assume it's right but anyone can make a mistake.That's what Im trying to get , opinions as to what people think by seeing the pic so I can figure this out with Peter.I have emailed him with the pics so hopefully he's not on one of those Euro 2 month holidays. :grin: He's usually pretty good at gettin back to me,so we'll see what he says.I'll ask if he thinks if I got a 5 speed by accident.

:bier:

Could be you just got the wrong hub?

Any chance of confusion w Pete over which V11 you have - cos the California is referred to as a "V11" in the States I think? Cali uses 5 speed box.

Whatever, I think Roper's right - don't prat around with worn parts, put in a new hub to match new plates.

Any chance of confusion w Pete over which V11 you have - cos the California is referred to as a "V11" in the States I think? Cali uses 5 speed box.

Whatever, I think Roper's right - don't prat around with worn parts, put in a new hub to match new plates.

Keith, all know is that odd hub looks nothing like any 'Factory' hub I know. My thoughts on the two clutches? I have to rely on memory but both the bronze plate and the 'Weird Harold' spring shriek 'TK' to me. I may very well be wrong.

Anyway, I have a five speed hub and *another* hub which I believe is off a 'Nuovo six speed'. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll dig through the parts site and compare part numbers but as it is we should be able to get some sort of definitive answer by actually trying bits which, at the end of the day, is the best way of sorting out odd, f@cked up shit!!! :D

Pete

Dont think Peter misunderstood ,from email,

"i have a 10 spring clutch available (pictured still on an engine) which i would suggest is better for the Scura than an 8 spring one as it is lighter "

Will probably hear from him today or Monday.

Pete R ,thanks again for looking into this,much appreciated ,.... :notworthy:

Photos from Stein Dinse

The Griso/Norge/Breva clutch hub is different: gu05081830

05081830.jpg

V11/6 speed gu04211600

04211600.jpg

5 speed deep spline gu30081810-Z

30081810-z.jpg

5 speed shallow spline gu14081811-Z

14081811-z.jpg

As for using used parts I don't see a problem, so long as the used parts are in good condition. It would be very expensive if you had to replace the flywheel and clutch hub on every clutch change. :2c:

I got Harry's new clutch hub from teo lamers as stein dinse were out of stock.also if you haven't got one you will need a new tabbed washer for behind the locknut. HMB and Teo lamers do a reasonable priced socket (30 ish euro) for the km5 locknut.

Boy it sure looks like the 5-speed shallow spline gu14081811-Z and my original looks exactly like the 6-speed gu04211600.I'll pass that info along to Pete @ Reboot.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

You may be right Keith the deep spline has triangular shaped splines ,which mine has.

Haydn I couldn't find the six speed hub on the SD website, do you have a link?

Do we think all 6 speed pre CARC bikes use this hub?

Single/ twin plate the same?

Michael,

I think single plate/twin plate use different hubs.

I haven't seen a V11 twin plate hub, but parts book lists:

Clutch gear: 04 21 16 00

Clutch Gear (RM): 01 21 16 40

first # I assume is twin plate V11s, second # (RM) I assume to be Rosso Mandello, which uses single plate clutch.