Engine Removal/Clutch Replacement How To

mznyc

Haydn I couldn't find the six speed hub on the SD website, do you have a link?

Do we think all 6 speed pre CARC bikes use this hub?

Single/ twin plate the same?

Google gu04211600

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Complete-partlist/Clutch-gear::5094.html

The single plater complete depth is the same but the outer splined part is not as deep as the twin plater hub,see petes pics of the three hubs. The twin plate v11 hub the outer splined part is about half the complete depth.

7205885802_b99877a071_z.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK got an update.Heard from Peter and he's surprised as he took this hub out of a Griso .Doesnt look like the Griso hub from the Stein-Dinse site.Maybe a difference between 4 to 8v,? It's weird that my original Scura single plate hub doesnt look like PR's single plate hub(left one in his picture)maybe from an older 5 speed single plater? :huh2: Either way the hub I have is unusable.

Hopefully get this sorted soon as the project stands still until I get correct one.

DSCN3845.jpg

• 2 months later...

Clutch hub in,new clutch assembly installed,got motor studs to line up to tranny but couldn't get those last couple of millimeters to mate up.Got late and tired ,back at it later today and post some pics.Goal of the day will be to have motor and all connections to it done today.

Inching forward,..... :whistle:

Motor mated up to tranny took a bit of fiddling.Have the sub frame suspended by an overhead lift,with a jack under the motor to be able to adjust either the block or tranny's height to assist in lining up.The key here is that there is no pressure on the studs to align and prevent snapping a stud.Made a tranny lock with an old friction plate anchored to the sub frame rail to help hold tranny when loosening and tightening hub locknut.

DSCN3983.jpg

DSCN3958.jpg

DSCN3975.jpg

More progress today.
All connections made to motor.Electrical,fuel/vent tubes.
Bleed front brakes,and clutch.
Encouraging news is that pulling clutch lever in and tranny in gear no resistance or scary noises when turning drive shaft by hand/ :whistle:
Put battery on charger as it's sat since Feb,if it fails have a new Odyssey waiting in the wings.I gonna keep running the original Spark 500 till it dies.So far,it been Freddie Kruger.Cant kill it.

What's left,...
Drop pan and replace oil filter and pan gasket,even though it isnt leaking through several oil changing.
New tires,replace rear before putting back on.

New Mistral X-over,while re-assembling exhaust.
Tank back on and various body parts and should be ready to start her up,.... :whistle:

If it all works,then on to,..
PC 111 install
Front tire and check/grease bearings
Later in the season
Install fuse block
Upgrade grounds
Heated grips
Replace fork fluid
Steering bearings
Etc,etc,etc,...

Light at the end of the tunnel.

Left old filter gasket on sump,so had to drop it again.

Rear diff on.Took quite a bit of fiddling to get rear to marry up the splines on shaft and be able to turn clamp bolts by hand.Yes I had it lined up to the indent on the shaft but if your a .25 mill off it wont go in without force.

Headers on.

Airbox on.

Torque bar on.

All connections to engine done.

Couldn't find a 18mm plug for Mistral locally,came used from a member without it.Best place to get one online?

Isnt she a beauty?

Was that for an o2 sensor? Stock one doesn't have one.So reinstalled stock X-over,and down the road I'll install Mistral and PC3.

New rear Pilot Road ,I'll put one on the front after first road test.

Tomorrow,....

Rear wheel/

Body work

Tank

Start er up?

:whistle:

DSCN3988.jpg

DSCN3989.jpg

DSCN3991.jpg

Well she's back together and turned key on,fuel pump fired and no leaks.Couldnt start her up cause it's 2am and bikes at a rented garage down the road with a bunch of neighbors around it.

Tomorrow's the big day,test ride.

photo(23).jpg

photo(21).jpg

Oh ya Keith I learned my lesson about fresh rubber many years ago.I ride them on the first 50-100 miles like Im on ice.

It's raining so I wont be going out blasting since I spent so much time cleaning everything underneath that I couldnt get to previously with tank,bodywork,and engine in the way.Just a slow moving test to see if she makes any strange noises,engages/disengages smoothly.If she passes that then I'll build up to a more aggressive ride. :bike:

Ok the good news.

Runs great,no leaks.

Also the clacking single plate noise is gone,just the clicktey sound of euro spec valves and boomy Ti's.

The bad,

Still shifting badly.

Brought her back in and thought the clutch lever didnt quite have the resistance it should so bleed it again and now getting good pressure.Also tightened up shift linkage.

Checked fluids levels and forgot I dumped the rear diff at the start of this ,duh,. :homer: Hadn't gone very far,just around the neighborhood for 10 mins,slow speed,and there was some fluid in there so dont think I did any damage.Dont have any more Redline.What could I get at an auto parts store that would be an acceptable replacement?

Maybe original push rod is not the same length as a twin platers.Doubt this as it does disengage drive fully,no drag.

Or a dog tranny from factory.Unlikely and will guess the clutch and diff fluid will do the trick. :whistle:

Ok the good news.

Runs great,no leaks.

Also the clacking single plate noise is gone,just the clicktey sound of euro spec valves and boomy Ti's.

The bad,

Still shifting badly.

Brought her back in and thought the clutch lever didnt quite have the resistance it should so bleed it again and now getting good pressure.Also tightened up shift linkage.

Checked fluids levels and forgot I dumped the rear diff at the start of this ,duh,. :homer: Hadn't gone very far,just around the neighborhood for 10 mins,slow speed,and there was some fluid in there so dont think I did any damage.Dont have any more Redline.What could I get at an auto parts store that would be an acceptable replacement?

Maybe original push rod is not the same length as a twin platers.Doubt this as it does disengage drive fully,no drag.

Or a dog tranny from factory.Unlikely and will guess the clutch and diff fluid will do the trick. :whistle:

Mobile one gear/diff synthetic? Works great in our oil heads...

If you have been running Redline, I would continue to use it. Google a dealer or call around and locate a seller in your area. You should be able to locate this in your area.........