Why choose a v11 Le Mans over a Sport?

Goose Moose

Welcome Goose.You'll find the forum quite helpful especially from the technical end as there are many members that have ridden MG's for decades.

4-5K is about average(I'm always cruising Ebay,CL,etc) for a non-Ohlins equipped models in average to above average condition.Like most brands,Guzzi's don't like to fall down,and I would stay away from anything dropped or crashed.Parts can be expensive and hard to find or the wait can be a interminable .If you spend a little more dosh.1-1.5k you can get an Ohlins equipped bike and it makes a huge difference if you like twisties.MG OEM mini fairings,CF and plastic are still available if you want to go with a naked and want to get a little more wind protection

Not many people claim to have 100K on V11's as they aren't used by most to commute or tour ,even though you could and some do ,to me they a perfect backroad scratcher on a good day.The motor should last 100k if taken care of.They aren't as demanding as say a Ducati as far as maintenance and relatively easy to work on at home.

They have a few issues not many major ,some annoying,some silly,but overall well built.

Here's a couple of must reads by member JRT for anyone interested in buying a V11S

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5692

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5691

I didn't know there was a premium on V11LM over V11Sport! They're the same bike except one has a fairing. So if you want a faired m/c go for a V11LM, otherwise the V11 w best condition, history & price. Even tho V11Sport is listed 03 sounds to me like they are both pre-02 models? Check 2003> had a balance pipe fitted between headers below alternator. 03> models seem to have been slightly better sorted.

KB :sun:

The only advantage I can tell is the Ohlins suspension and mirrors that show you what is behind you instead of your elbows.

The Sport is better looking as it is a naked bike and the fuel tank's beauty is shown on this style of bike.

The bikes are pretty much the same, but the guys who ride the Sports are all handsome and well spoken. :rolleyes:

No, really, the '02 stuff had issues and the '03 should be the better bike whether Sport or LM. You can tell by the engine paint if the '03 was just a hold-over '02 if the paint is fuzzy, bubbly, or flaky. It should be smooth and tight.

Also, does the '03 Sport have handlebars (not clip-ons)? Nice riding position.

Some of the '02 bikes had the engine/drive-line paint "repaired" which means it's been taken all apart.

I'd vote '03.

Of course, then you'll have a Sport and join the Handsome/Well-spoken Set. :sun:

The bikes are pretty much the same, but the guys who ride the Sports are all handsome and well spoken. :rolleyes:

No, really, the '02 stuff had issues and the '03 should be the better bike whether Sport or LM. You can tell by the engine paint if the '03 was just a hold-over '02 if the paint is fuzzy, bubbly, or flaky. It should be smooth and tight.

Some of the '02 bikes had the engine/drive-line paint "repaired" which means it's been taken all apart.

I'd vote '03.

Of course, then you'll have a Sport and join the Handsome/Well-spoken Set. :sun:

Thanks. That's where I'm leaning. I was concerned about the paint, too. I've read the issues but can't tell how significant they are. One year newer and 20K fewer miles makes sense to me but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something special about the LM (vis a vis a BMW R90S much more sought after than R90 or R100).

Welcome Goose.You'll find the forum quite helpful especially from the technical end as there are many members that have ridden MG's for decades.

4-5K is about average(I'm always cruising Ebay,CL,etc) for a non-Ohlins equipped models in average to above average condition.Like most brands,Guzzi's don't like to fall down,and I would stay away from anything dropped or crashed.Parts can be expensive and hard to find or the wait can be a interminable .If you spend a little more dosh.1-1.5k you can get an Ohlins equipped bike and it makes a huge difference if you like twisties.MG OEM mini fairings,CF and plastic are still available if you want to go with a naked and want to get a little more wind protection

Not many people claim to have 100K on V11's as they aren't used by most to commute or tour ,even though you could and some do ,to me they a perfect backroad scratcher on a good day.The motor should last 100k if taken care of.They aren't as demanding as say a Ducati as far as maintenance and relatively easy to work on at home.

They have a few issues not many major ,some annoying,some silly,but overall well built.

Here's a couple of must reads by member JRT for anyone interested in buying a V11S

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5692

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5691

Great references and really helped push me to the '03. Will have to verify it's not a repacked '02.

what's a zook? is that something i'm gonna hafta'order?

cheers, stef

Sorry. Just learning the lingo trying to be as hip as a BMW rider can be among Goose Herders. Reference to Marzocchis, but I'm sure you got that...

Ah yes, zooks, yeah, my '02 Le Mans has 'em.

and i'm also a BMW rider among Goose Herders, probably more than a few here.

any model V11 will be a good choice, they all have their good points, and are fun as hell to ride.

welcome & good hunting, stef

[

Great references and really helped push me to the '03. Will have to verify it's not a repacked '02.

04 even better,no repackaged 02's and most issues sorted.

Nero Corso(my favorite),Rosso Corso Lemans with Ohlins.Cafe Sport,and Coppa Italia.Nakeds with Ohlins!

Ha!

I went from a /7 to a 2001 V11 sport this last August.

What you are likely to find is...

Torque is more "brutal" on the V11. And obviously the Guzzi has a lot more power to it.

I have the clip-ons so it's not the best traffic bike.Constant Stop/Go wears out your wrists.

But on a highway or any open road... it's effortless compared to an old R bike.

Caring for the Guzzi is as easy as on the R bike. As in, non need to take the gas tank off to set your valves, no special tools etc.

Parts are a LOT more difficult to find for a V11 than even for a /5... but thanks to the Interwebs it can be done.

Word of advice... Watch them brakes, they are awfully more powerful than old beemers, and V11 although they don't feel it... are really heavy bikes.

I have an entire new front end and the scars to prove it...

I'd vote '03.

Thanks. That's where I'm leaning. I was concerned about the paint, too. I've read the issues but can't tell how significant they are. One year newer and 20K fewer miles makes sense to me but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something special about the LM (vis a vis a BMW R90S much more sought after than R90 or R100).

Ride a LeMans and a R90S back to back, and you'll throw rocks at the Beemer. :rasta::D Well, I would, anyway. ^_^ I have a hot rodded 02 Scura and an 03 Rosso Corsa, and can say that the only difference between the two is the weather protection. If you like the weather protection on the R90S, you'll love the LeMans. Depends on what you want to do with it.

I'd vote '03.

Ride a LeMans and a R90S back to back, and you'll throw rocks at the Beemer. :rasta::D Well, I would, anyway. ^_^ I have a hot rodded 02 Scura and an 03 Rosso Corsa, and can say that the only difference between the two is the weather protection. If you like the weather protection on the R90S, you'll love the LeMans. Depends on what you want to do with it.

comparing my '02 Le Mans to my '83 R100RS is like comparing apples & oranges.

the LM is much more fun to ride, but if i actually need to go somewhere, i'll take the beemer.

cheers, stef

Rode a R100/7, then a R100S before I bought my Nero. You would have to get my Nero from my estate because it will never be for sale by me unless there is some seriously major problems well beyond my control! My MG is by a long shot the most favored bike I've ever owned, bar none. :notworthy::mg::wub: And I'm obviously biased, but the determining factor for me would be to buy an Ohlins equipped LeMans (or Sport), post 2003 model.

four twenty right.jpg