Piaggio's Plans for MG

mznyc

From Motorcycle Online, http://blog.motorcycle.com/2011/12/14/manufacturers/aprilia/piaggio-announces-2011-2014-business-plan-more-hybrids-and-electric-models-in-the-pipeline/

"The Piaggio Group revealed its business plans for the next three years with a focus on developing fuel efficient engines and introducing new electric motors and hybrid powertrains.

Beginning in 2012, Piaggio plans to introduce a new generation of engines with lower emissions and improved fuel economy.

Moto Guzzi is also introducing a new 750cc 90-degree V-Twin engine in its 2012 V7, V7 Scrambler and V7 Racer. According to Piaggio, the new V7 engine pictured below, after the jump) offers a 10% increase in power output as well as improved torque and fuel economy and fewer emissions.

Piaggio will work with leading research centers and university to develop new electric motors and hybrid engines. Piaggio was the first motorcycle manufacturer to produce a hybrid model with its three-wheeled MP3 Hybrid. With its larger bulk compared to other scooters, the MP3 was a logical choice to house Piaggio’s first hybrid powertrain, but if Piaggio can manage to reduce the size of its hybrid engine, the technology will likely then be adapted for other scooter and motorcycle models.

Moto Guzzi will receive extra focus over the next few years, with Piaggio introducing several new models including the updated V7 models and the new California under the golden eagle emblem. Piaggio hopes Moto Guzzi and Aprilia will continue to show growth in western markets."

121411-2012-moto-guzzi-v7-motor.jpg

Why do they insist on pushing the 750 motor on us?The V Cafe would have sold a lot more if it was a 1200.I think if you did a poll 99% would say they would want an 1200-1300 over a 750.Not sayin it's not a good motor.Light is good,but most of us are torque junkies.

I like the bit about "Guzzi will receive extra focus over the next few years" :lol:

That's a good one,ha ha ha,....

The current V7 makes about 38bhp on the dyno. Guzzi claim an extra 10% for the new motor, so even if they are not exaggerating like they normally do, the new motor puts out 41bhp.

I know some love the small block but many others do enjoy plenty more poke. Always seems to lots of V7s for sale with low mileage- is this because riders like the looks but end up disappointed with the ride?

.. Always seems to lots of V7s for sale with low mileage- ...

Would be interesting where the owners went. For most of them Guzzi was sort of a one night stand probably.

The biggest problem with those small ones might be that you can't upgrade them. As my 750S was already a big ;) and heavy motorcycle it was just a natural transition to a LM engine and later on to a LM3. Buying 800+ cylinders for a small block won't bring the same satisfaction. With a small block you're stuck and forced to make a decision sooner or later.

Hey, you small block owners, have you seen the new black W800 special edition already?

Hubert

I hope Piaggio didn't give up on the LeMans concept and putting the sport back in some of their bikes. I cant fault their styling but its way overdue for a descent 4 valve motor and even water cooling. If the next sport or Lemans is anything like the pics I found, I would be excited and worth the wait.

6524856415_f0579ef46d_b.jpg

6524856547_ce4fa8befd_b.jpg

6524856301_693a10526a_b.jpg

Guzzi already got the new motor basic architecture set, just a matter of sport bike, retro, cruiser or muscle bodywork.

6524905623_3620d07a6c_b.jpg

6524905691_495c5d2aa1_b.jpg

6524905747_a67aa6678a_b.jpg

6524905827_e480767a85_b.jpg

6524905895_1611fbc8ed_b.jpg

6524905963_59c9043620_b.jpg

It does look like a real motor.Bummer that it doesn't look liquid cooled.

I don't like that concept rendering,looks like a bunch of junk thrown together.The drawing in the middle is more or the classic lines of a Guzzi,a little too angular but keeping to the theme of their bikes going back several generations.

The V7's may make more sense in Europe and Asia where the roads are tighter and shorter distances between points A and B, other than the Autobahn/Autostrada .

... The V7's may make more sense in Europe and Asia where the roads are tighter and shorter distances between points A and B, other than the Autobahn/Autostrada .

They went one step further even. What I heard the plan was to sell them in the first place to urban based maxi-scooter folks. No wonder that those aggregating at motorcycle forums in most cases react a bit undercooled.

What I do like at the small blocks is their simplicity compared to the new 1400 engine shown on the pics above. It's the simplicity what makes a motorcycle engine.

Hubert

As i have said before Piaggio make SCOOTERS. We can look forward to electric scooters wow. This is all to satisfy carbon footprint laws just like the new mini aston martin which you can only buy if you already own a full size aston! Total crap all this fiddling just ask your customers what they want!

Ths sad thing is Piaggio might be a scooter maker but they have the financial means to develop new products and bring to the market. Ducati try to buy Guzzi, didn't pan out and Aprilia owns it for a while until themselfs out of business and now Piaggio. I'm just relieve Piaggio didn't shut down Guzzi as a production number of 6,000 yearly is not enough to justified life support. Laverda is gone along with Gilera and Benelli is in Chinese hands but at least its around and kicking.

Piaggio/Guzzi try to capitalized on their heritage and follow Harley's foot steps and the new V7 might be the first step but I think its taking the "retro" theme too literally. 18" rims and skinny tires along with tooth pick forks and anemic HP figures are too retro for my tast, unless I'm just going for the Image/ life style bikes just like Harleys. If I want a 60's bike, I just as well buy a real 60's bike.

The V11 still got the right combination of retro/cafe styling, modern suspension, handling and descent HP figures in my opinion.

More whiney-arse carping about Piaggio and the tired old 'Scooter Maker' accusations. Give me strength.

The Piaggio series bikes, especially the Nuovo Hi-Cam are streets ahead of anything Mandello has produced for nearly four decades.

As for the V7 series? They make them 'cos they SELL. Most popular model they make. If you think they should stop I'd say you have shitty business skills!

For all of the whinging what is being ignored is that the new models, certainly the Nuovo Cali and I'm hoping the Nuovo V7 with the single throttle body look like they will be getting the fantastic Piaggio RBW system. None of you old curmudgeons and technophobes have probably ridden a bike that used this system and although I'll bet that many of you regularly drive cars with such technology in them you'll die in a ditch before you'll countenance it on *Your* motorbike. Fine, But its your loss. It really is. :moon::bbblll:

Pete

...and I'm hoping [..] they will be getting the fantastic Piaggio RBW system...

I'm with you with the "sell what sells" thing, but for what a RBW system? Launch Control? Hyper smooth rain mode?

Hubert