Piaggio's Plans for MG

mznyc

I think the reason most forum members don't gravitate towards the V7 is that almost all of us are riding a big-bore V1100 or 1200 and aren't interested in a light weight 50hp bike.I loved my Honda CB-1.A 40 hp ,399 lb ,gear driven valve train screamer.I liked it so much I bought 2 of em.So no problem with light weight-low power bikes ,they can be a blast.Had to sell them years ago when space and cash became short.But most people who have a V11 want torque and at least modest power.That's why I bought mine in the first place.

I have heard to grumblings here like PR mentions,ala "No way a liquid cooled bike!",etc,...Guzzi has to keep up with the times.Modern facility,modern technology.If selling a lot of V7's helps ,great.Hopefully that money will get re-introduced in to the R&D of Guzzi.They just haven't responded to the part of there market that resides on this forum.

If and when they made an appropriate replacement for the V11 they'll have a pretty wide demographic.From the 20 something retro poseurs, to the veteran riders in there 60's :oldgit: who remember the original cafe racer era,they'll sell thousands.

Ya there's are a lotta newbie women ,and to some extent men who buy the V7's,but a more experienced rider is gonna want more power,quality suspension/brakes and a reliable machine at a competitive price.

For me that would be a LQ'ed ,16v, 1200.@100-125 HP,adjustable ergos,strong enough electrical system to support modern needs,comfortable to ride all day,detachable hard bag option.for about 12-13k.And if we have problems they will warranty ,recall and not ignore us as they did the 2000's. :whistle:

What purpose for those rocker-cover covers? Noise reduction?

Plastic oil-pump gear? :unsure:

KB :sun:

The rocker cover covers are cosmetic to prevent the great unwashed being offended by the twin plugging needed by the wider combustion chambers. As for the plastic oil pump gear? who knows? The current ones are steel, I can't see any reason for changing it on a production motor Perhaps it was just easier to blow one out of plastic for the mock up? who knows??

Pete

...The rocker cover covers are cosmetic...

:bbblll:

My objection to the direction Guzzi are heading is nothing to do with bringing in new tech, new mechanicals, watercooling or hating to see things change etc, etc, etc...

It's this sort of crap! - styling add-ons with no function other than disguise! Design the thing right & it'll look right!

Like fake plastic half bell mouths on a Fi Honda, the leatherboy straps across chromed plastic tank on the V7 Racer(Racer? Sure :grin:) shows just who's running the show nowadays.

Make us a modern, cutting-edge motorcycle - but make it true to the values of Guzzi - original thought, solid engineering, & design that follows function not just guesses at latest market trends. Sure the V7 might sell - of course MG have to sell - but does it sell more than a T3 did in it's day? It doesn't have to be a fake to sell!

Decent, market-leading product & customer & dealer care - how hard should it be? But can you imagine the minds that brought us the V7Classic, the Breva & 1200 Sport with all their chromed plastic & bumper trim turning out anything that'll become an icon? What does it tell you about the Guzzi design dept that the V7Racer is the stuff of their dreams?

I know I'm a newbie on this forum, however, I find it difficult to let all this opinion pass by without adding my bit.

I've had Guzzis for 30 years from my first Monza, to my current collection of 8V Griso, V11 Cafe Sport & V7 Racer. Honestly, the bike that puts the biggest smile on my face is the V7. It really reminds me of the Monza (although it is way better in reality). It's a fun bike to throw around in the twisties over here in the home of motorcycling (Europe :-)). I guess if you have 200 miles of straight road in front of you then it might be a bit boring (but then so would any bike).

And apparently it is what keeps Guzzi alive, so it gets my vote.

If I could only have one bike it gets more difficult, I think I would struggle to defend the V7 there, but as a fun Sunday afternoon ride it's hard to beat.

Let's not talk to much about how V11 represent the real "honest" motorbike - carbon side panels on a 230kg bike anyone?

...Let's not talk to much about how V11 represent the real "honest" motorbike - carbon side panels on a 230kg bike anyone?

Every little helps! ;)

Better cut down on the beer a bit in that case, I could probably shave a few more grams...

Place where I bought my "new" V11 have done some mods to a V7, bringing it up to 820cc and a bit more than 50hp (rather than a bit less) V7 LAMPO GIALLO RACER Looks and sounds really nice.

D

...and I'm hoping [..] they will be getting the fantastic Piaggio RBW system...

I'm with you with the "sell what sells" thing, but for what a RBW system? Launch Control? Hyper smooth rain mode?

Hubert

RBW= Ride By Wire = wireless controls as Aprilia use (and other manufacturers). I think Guzzi are doing OK with the V7, though the Bellagio 940cc donk should have been an option. Updating the hp rating for the V7 is good. Keeping it simple in terms of the motor, air cooled twin valve, is good for maintenance and price too. I'd love to have a blat on one. Yes maybe some decent forks would be an improvement, but hey don't be surprised if the old style forks come back into fashion soon.

Look what happened to underseat exhaust pipes.....

• 3 months later...
...The rocker cover covers are cosmetic...

:bbblll:

My objection to the direction Guzzi are heading is nothing to do with bringing in new tech, new mechanicals, watercooling or hating to see things change etc, etc, etc...

It's this sort of crap! - styling add-ons with no function other than disguise! Design the thing right & it'll look right!

Like fake plastic half bell mouths on a Fi Honda, the leatherboy straps across chromed plastic tank on the V7 Racer(Racer? Sure :grin:) shows just who's running the show nowadays.

Make us a modern, cutting-edge motorcycle - but make it true to the values of Guzzi - original thought, solid engineering, & design that follows function not just guesses at latest market trends. Sure the V7 might sell - of course MG have to sell - but does it sell more than a T3 did in it's day? It doesn't have to be a fake to sell!

Decent, market-leading product & customer & dealer care - how hard should it be? But can you imagine the minds that brought us the V7Classic, the Breva & 1200 Sport with all their chromed plastic & bumper trim turning out anything that'll become an icon? What does it tell you about the Guzzi design dept that the V7Racer is the stuff of their dreams?

For Baldini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qdv6C9ElgE&feature=g-all-u&context=G236a80fFAAAAAAAAAAA

It is pathetic, like an eastern european hookers grasp on the finer aspects of this existence. To have to listen to some dolt explain his view and process on something his dad probably never quite "got", embarassing to anyone who has taken the time to focus on and make one of these entertaining rides work. Yes we have to deal with the fact that the ever revolving wheel moves through and past each generation, but it is still a shock to hear such gutteral bungsloosh eminate from some little fairy out there with his camera hopelessely captivated by look and design. We need fairies OK.. great for concepts, ideas, whatever else they do. But a 750cc limp wristed attempt at what was a fantastic motorcycle is in short unacceptable! There is no future with this foolishness.

It is pathetic, like an eastern european hookers grasp on the finer aspects of this existence. To have to listen to some dolt explain his view and process ... it is still a shock to hear such gutteral bungsloosh eminate from some little fairy out there with his camera hopelessely captivated by look and design. We need fairies OK.. great for concepts, ideas, whatever else they do. But a 750cc limp wristed attempt at what was a fantastic motorcycle is in short unacceptable! There is no future with this foolishness.

:thumbsup::notworthy::oldgit::bier::grin: