Guzzi vs Aprilia

A friend of mine has got an Aprilia Tuono and we are having a funny blokeish (see childish...) argument about who's Italian bike and brand is better!!

So what are your plus points about Guzzis over Aprilia???

He's done the same on an Aprilia forum.

Trev

I own one of each (but my Aprilia is a dirtbike). I have ridden on some long rides with people on Tuonos and with me on my V11. I would say the Tuonos are faster - they can pull away from a V11 on a straightaway - but they have no advantage in the twisties. I have never been stranded on my V11 - and yet the Apes would often have an issue over a 4-5 day ride being ridden hard. To answer your question, it is silly to debate which bike is better but since you asked, I would take my V11 over a Tuono.

One of my best friends owns a Mille. It is a work of art.

We do not argue the merits of Guzzi vs. Aprilia but if we did I guess I would say Aprilia is the Italian exotic for people who do not think outside the box and Guzzi is for those that do.

Guzzi could learn a few things from Aprilia. I hope they do. But Guzzi has something that Aprilia may never have, heritage. Guzzi also has a unique ride and feel whereas Aprilia is more generic in those two areas, lacking the unique feel when riding that you could only be riding an Aprilia.

That said, if I could I would own two Aprilia's, a SXV550 (with a set of dirt wheels) and one of those new V4 Tuono's. But I would not sell any of my Guzzi's to buy them.

'Spose I'll take a shot on this...

1) Which one would say, a Honda badge look most at home on gracing it's tank?

2) What motor looks more unique bursting out from its frame?

3) On start-up, which one gives you grin inside?

4) Which piques even a good 'ol Harley boys curiosity?

5) ...I could go on, but it seems plenty enough.

Guzzis have tits, nice big warm ones :blush:

Shame Guzzi do not have a bike with a 167bhp V4 (or anything close)to provide a more realistic comparison. Love my 'organic' V11 but can only admire the Aprilia (which would be a nice 'bit on the side' for the odd quick thrill if I could afford it). Pert tits can make a nice change from huge bangers on occasion.

'Spose I'll take a shot on this...

1) Which one would say, a Honda badge look most at home on gracing it's tank?

2) What motor looks more unique bursting out from its frame?

3) On start-up, which one gives you grin inside?

4) Which piques even a good 'ol Harley boys curiosity?

5) ...I could go on, but it seems plenty enough.

WELL SAID !!!!

True my friend, just can't beat that certain panache Guzzi's have. Love the part about start up grin and effect on Harley guys, (especially after you've blown by them, soft targets that they are). All said though, Italian bikes all have that certain something, style, look, feel, soul. I've ridden my brothers MV 910 Brutale, so different, but OMG, and it just screams Italian

Cheers

Van

I have a 2000 Aprilia RSV Mille. Very nice! Way more bike than I am a rider.

The Tenni is more my speed.

Although the Mille is a beast, for touring duties, the Tenni is hands down the winner :)

"the Tenni is hands down the winner"....HA!! Take that you Scurista!!

Cheers,

Van

• 3 weeks later...

They are apples and oranges. They do not compare. One is a wet bike (liquid cooled)the other an air head.The Ape makes probablly 40 more hp.The Ape is probablly 60 pounds lighter. The Ape steers quicker and responds quicker.

Where the do compare is both have character(MG probablly more)both have high quality, both attract attention,both are great looking.

You ride them for different reasons on different days.

Both are winners.

I had a the same Mille for 8 years from new before getting my V11. I loved my mille and will probably get another one...a nice 2000 era R with the blue wheels, as a polishing/ sunny days bike, when I've got a bigger garage. I ride hard and riding the mille like I do was starting to get very silly. I have a wife and two kids these days and decided to get something less radical. I eventually settled on the V11 for all the reasons you know about, but mainly because I'd learned to love having a less common bike, an italian V, I loved the grunt of the mille, the V11 seems to have more low end trousers and I really love the simplicity of the design and engineering after years of cutting edge complex sports bikes.

I must admit though the 'heritage' aspect of owning a Guzzi has surprised me. When I had the mille I was endlessly arguing with Ducati, GSXR, R1, Blade riders, now people come and talk to me about the Guzzi over a cup of tea and I can scare the shit out of sportsbike riders who have no idea what it is...that's the best bit :whistle:

Pete