shorter handlebar for the Griso 1200 .

jihem

Hi all,

I really think the Griso 8V handlebar could do with being shorter.

Has anyone try something, or are there companies building shorter handlebars ?

Thanx !

Hi all,

Thanx !

Pro-taper make a variety of widths and bends.

Pete

There has been much discussion about this already.

There are aftermarket options like Pro-Taper & Spiegler, bars from other Aprilia's (and Ducati's), and modifying the stock bars as mentioned.

That is the beauty of a bike with handle bars, it is easy to do what you want with it.

Hi all,

Thanx !

hacksaw the ends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Renthal make some narrow Fatbars that are popular for road use. See here scrolling down for the dimensions and how to compare them to your own bars.

http://www.renthalroad.com/File/fatbar.aspx

They also make Fatbars for a range of off-road bikes. 

You should be able to get these through,

BPV DISTRIBUTION SPRL

LEUVENSESTEENWEG 204, 1932 ZAVENTEM, BELGIUM
tel: (2) 7203508
fax: (2) 7200997
e-mail: bpvdist@skynet.be

or

HOCO PARTS B.V.

HARSELAARSEWEG 27, 3771 MA BARNEVELD, HOLLAND
tel: 31 342 412290
fax: 31 342 491749
e-mail: info@hocoparts.com

Failing that, certainly

B&C%20logo(RGB).jpg
B&C EXPRESS,

STATION ROAD , POTTERHANWORTH, LINCOLN LN4 2DX
TEL: 01522 791369
FAX: 01522 794262
EMAIL: sales@bandcexpress.co.uk
WEB: www.bandcexpress.co.uk
Renthal Road & Road Race Sprockets
http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/sprockets/road/renthal-sprockets.html

If you need more assistance you can contact me here,

http://www.renthalroad.com/File/emailus.aspx

Thanx. I really need to do something as it's too large for my (elegant but short) stature.

Not sure how "elegant" you really are. :whistle:

Also assuming, as have others here, that by "shorter" you mean "less wide side to side."

As -- IMO, at least -- the Griso is a handful to turn in any challenging curves, I would think that if forward reach is the real issue, it would be better to retain as much "push" power in the wider bars and lessen the reach with adjustment or some sort of push-back riser.

Just reread that and even I am worried it's gibberish. :huh2:

But, seriously, comfort is darn important, but I would worry lest narrower bars alone solve one problem at serious handling costs. OTOH, if you are a body-builder, disregard. :thumbsup:

Best,

Bill

I also think the Griso is hard to turn. It has the heaviest front i ever had on a bike (mind you, it's my first non sport bike in decades) but I use counterpush most of the times so it's bearable.
My main issue with the handlebar is actually not when moving: it's when parking the bike or turning the bike when stopping. In these two situations, my arms are just far too torned apart when sitting on the bike and therefore something needs to be done.

Bill's comments are not without merit.

Hmmmmmm.  Last person that used a litotes in responding to something I did ... fired me.   :whistle:

Hired me back same day, but I have been wary of that figure of speech ever since.   ;)

Bill

I also think the Griso is hard to turn. It has the heaviest front i ever had on a bike (mind you, it's my first non sport bike in decades) but I use counterpush most of the times so it's bearable.

My main issue with the handlebar is actually not when moving: it's when parking the bike or turning the bike when stopping. In these two situations, my arms are just far too torned apart when sitting on the bike and therefore something needs to be done.

That is funny.

I guess it is a matter of perspective, what you are used to.

I find my Griso to be very easy/light steering. It is a little slow turning in the twisty bits but that is more a matter of the long wheelbase resulting in less turn for a given amount of lean. But I find the effort required to achieve whatever lean angle to be light. I assume that is a result of the sideways engine layout, same as my other Guzzi's.

The comment about "counterpush" I find intriguing.  I wonder if you mean the same as when we say counter-steering. The act of turning the bars left to result in a turn to the right. That is the only effective way to steer a motorcycle (or any two wheeled vehicle) above a walking pace is by that method. The Griso is no exception.

Another thing to be aware of with regard to heavy steering is lack of grease in the steering head bearings.

All the chassis bearings on modern Guzzis suffer, generally, from the factory workers grease phobia. This is particularly apparent in the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings but the steering head is also only greased with a degree of modesty that would do a vestal virgin proud!

I recently gave my Griso a five year chassis freshen-up and while I was surprised to find that the steering head bearings were still serviceable the amount of grease on them was barely adequate. If I lived somewhere slightly damper, (I live in one of the driest parts of the driest inhabited continent on earth!) I reckon they would of been cactus. While this would of given me the excuse to replace the crappy ball and cone bearings with tapered rollers their good condition made it un-necessary at this time so I re-packed them properly and lavishly with grease and have been amazed by how much lighter it has made the steering.

The moral of the story is, If your steering feels heavy, or at least significantly heavier than you think it should? Check and re-pack the steering head.

Pete

I mean counter-steering of course (i did translate Keith Code's first book in french, how could this term escape me ?).
As for the amount of effort needed, it might be perspective as my two latest bikes were a Ghezzi Supertwin and a Ducati Superlight: it seems to me the Griso's steering is a handfull needing much attention. But it might be something else and I surely will have to look at the steering head.