Clocks change out

Cabernet

After an annoying jumpy speedo it has finally stablised.

Issue is the Odometer and trip meter have started running backwards about 1 mile in every hundred.

I have been in contact with an after market digital clock company.

They advise their product is compatible with a V11 providing the bike will run with the rev counter disconnected.

Can anyone testify that a V11 (mine is an 03 [maybe an 02]) will run with no rev counter?

Veglia (white face) or ITI (black face)?

Seems like the speedometer/odometers should function entirely independently from the tachometer (rev counter)?

Not sure what the rev counter (tach) has to do with the speedo swap, maybe you are looking at replacing both while you are at it? Or maybe the unit in question is a speedo/tach combo unit like the one I used to replace the speedo and tach on my Daytona? Well, I can say for sure that the Daytona version will run with the original tach disconnected. And I am pretty sure (well, really near positive) that the V11 will also run with no tach.

What company are you looking at?

I went with an Acewell unit, and while I really like it in some respects I am not 100% thrilled with the quality of it. In particular the sweep of the tach needle has some issues that I have yet to resolve. I am not sure yet if they are a shortcoming of the unit or possibly I have yet to get the installation 100% right. Time will tell.

I have also seen some nice units from a company called SpeedHut.

I like this one.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4-DUALGPS-ST-03T/1/Dual-Gauge---160mph-GPS-Speedometer---8K-Tachometer-(w--turn-signal-and-high-beam)

It uses GPS for the speedo. The graphics are customizable. How sweet.....

Couldn't you just unplug your tach and take the bike for a ride?

maybe you are looking at replacing both while you are at it?

TransLogic is what I am looking at.

I have spoken to my local marqueless bike technician/mechanic and he has fitted one before on a GSXR.

The translogic would replace the whole dash.

The V11 runs fine without the tacho, you can easily test it by pulling the headlight relay.

Don't leave it out though because the charging stops with it out.

There are also a couple of single pole connectors in the wire from the RCU to tacho that can be unplugged

I am looking for a nice replacement pair of electronic clocks for my new dash, any suggestions?

GuzziMoto, is the Speedhut GPS unit waterproof?

I saw a nice electronic speedo on a friends Imp engined Enfield but I didn't catch the brand, it had a pulse pickup at the back axel.

The V11 runs fine without the tacho, you can easily test it by pulling the headlight relay.

Don't leave it out though because the charging stops with it out.

There are also a couple of single pole connectors in the wire from the RCU to tacho that can be unplugged

I am looking for a nice replacement pair of electronic clocks for my new dash, any suggestions?

GuzziMoto, is the Speedhut GPS unit waterproof?

I saw a nice electronic speedo on a friends Imp engined Enfield but I didn't catch the brand, it had a pulse pickup at the back axel.

I just sent them an e-mail request for info, but I assume the unit itself is not completely water proof and would require a little additional steps taken, like covering the backside with a dome the same way the stock V11 gauges are. I expect them to be comparable, but I will let you know what they say and if I buy one I will let you know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the process of building a new dash to include a pressure gauge and O2 meter, I'm leaning towards.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GRM338-SPEEDO-02/1/Speedometer-Gauge-260km-h-Metric-programmable">http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GRM338-SPEEDO-02/1/Speedometer-Gauge-260km-h-Metric-programmable

I don't like the idea of their GPS unit I prefer to adapt the existing speedo drive at the gearbox to put out pulses.

I really like how you can customize the look with different pointers and fonts etc. in day or night. By adding T to

the part number you get turn and high beam lights.

And a Tacho to match

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338-TACH-02/1/Tachometer-Gauge-8K-RPM-Shift-light

Once you get the hang of their site filter there are so many options

I am in the process of building a new dash to include a pressure gauge and O2 meter, I'm leaning towards.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GRM338-SPEEDO-02/1/Speedometer-Gauge-260km-h-Metric-programmable">http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GRM338-SPEEDO-02/1/Speedometer-Gauge-260km-h-Metric-programmable

I don't like the idea of their GPS unit I prefer to adapt the existing speedo drive at the gearbox to put out pulses.

I really like how you can customize the look with different pointers and fonts etc. in day or night. By adding T to

the part number you get turn and high beam lights.

And a Tacho to match

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338-TACH-02/1/Tachometer-Gauge-8K-RPM-Shift-light

Once you get the hang of their site filter there are so many options

I like the look and price of those, closest match to the original that I have seen. I assume that they are weatherproof?

I like the look and price of those, closest match to the original that I have seen. I assume that they are weatherproof?

That was my question to SpeedHut

I am looking at a GRM338-SPEEDO-02 for a motorcycle.
Is the bezzel and reset button waterproof.
Is it possible to set the oddometer to match the mechanical one I am removing?
What is the input pulse range for km/h

I quote
Hi Roy,

Thank you for contacting us. Concerning your first question, our gauges are water resistant but not entirely waterproof. However, we can add silicone underneath the edge of the bezel which will help keep water out. We offer this service at no extra charge. Many people have used our gauges on their motorcycles, and we've never received any complaints. Also, our gauges come with a lifetime guarantee, so that if they do stop working, you can ship them back to us, and we will repair them free of charge. I would also recommend having the button moved to the back of the gauge so that it will be more waterproof. Also, we can set the odometer to any mileage you would like so that it matches your previous speedometer. Concerning the input pulse range, it needs to be higher than one volt and can take anything up to 100 volts. It also can use any type of wave form. If you were to place an order online, you would just include in Order Notes at checkout that you want the gauge to be as waterproof as possible and also the amount you would like the odometer to be set to.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Have a great day,
End quote

Sounds like they are waterproof enough, after all the Veglia has a 1/2" hole where the trip reset goes in. If you get a seal between the bezel and the dash should be ok
I like the idea of being able to set set the odo where the Veglia is now. The button at the back is a good idea also, or even just a wire I can connect to my own button. Failing that I'm sure I can just trigger the rear mounted button with a linkage.

I'm sure this is the answer to the bothersome angle drives

Roy

Roy

And here I was counting on you to adapt some sort of stepper motor with wireless actuator to give the Veglia new life beyond bevelism!

Don't worry, I have been thinking about that also but then you still have the flakey odometer.

I figured out I can do away with the angle drives by moving the speedo to the right hand side and running the cable direct.

You have to remove both drives otherwise the speedo will run backwards.

Yes I thought about a 3 phase motor and alternator also but for $175  iI can save a lot of greif.

The speedhut with microprocessor and stepper motor should be just as accurate as I can calculate

That was my question to SpeedHut

Dear Sir/Madam

I am looking at a GRM338-SPEEDO-02 for a motorcycle.

Is the bezzel and reset button waterproof.

Is it possible to set the oddometer to match the mechanical one I am removing?

What is the input pulse range for km/h

I quoteHi Roy,Thank you for contacting us. Concerning your first question, our gauges are water resistant but not entirely waterproof. However, we can add silicone underneath the edge of the bezel which will help keep water out. We offer this service at no extra charge. Many people have used our gauges on their motorcycles, and we've never received any complaints. Also, our gauges come with a lifetime guarantee, so that if they do stop working, you can ship them back to us, and we will repair them free of charge. I would also recommend having the button moved to the back of the gauge so that it will be more waterproof. Also, we can set the odometer to any mileage you would like so that it matches your previous speedometer. Concerning the input pulse range, it needs to be higher than one volt and can take anything up to 100 volts. It also can use any type of wave form. If you were to place an order online, you would just include in Order Notes at checkout that you want the gauge to be as waterproof as possible and also the amount you would like the odometer to be set to.I hope this helps answer your questions. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.Have a great day,

End quote

Sounds like they are waterproof enough, after all the Veglia has a 1/2" hole where the trip reset goes in. If you get a seal between the bezel and the dash should be ok

I like the idea of being able to set set the odo where the Veglia is now. The button at the back is a good idea also, or even just a wire I can connect to my own button. Failing that I'm sure I can just trigger the rear mounted button with a linkage.

Roy

They guarantee them for life (so long as they stay in business ) even with motorcycle use, you can't ask much more than that. Nice find Roy