****Resolved,****Lost Key.What to do now?

mznyc

I'm sure it will show up,probably fell behind or underneath something in the house but my one and only key for the Scura is missing. :homer:

Ya I know stupid not having a spare,as I do for all the other bikes and have only lost 1 key the last 20 years but Murphy's Law strikes again.

What would my options be?

Have a locksmith come to the bike and cut one.Not impossible but I live in a rural area,miles from the nearest one.

Remove the ignition cylinder and bring it to or send to a locksmith.Downside to that I would assume would be time .What would be involved in getting the sucker out?

Could I remove the helmet lock and have one cut from there,that would be the easiest to get to but dont know if that has the same specs to work in the ignition.

Thanks

Michael

You have answered your own question. Yes , the key works all locks on the bike. The helmet lock has screws that break off the head , so you will have to grind the remainder to get the helmet lock off. Good luck !

Typically both the helmet lock and the ignition switch use bolts that the head snaps when tightened so they cannot be undone without more effort. I use a dremel to cut a slot in them and then use a large screw driver to remove.

I am not sure a locksmith could cut you a new key. Usually you get a numerical code and you can get a new key cut from that.

Maybe a locksmith can cut you a key, but I would check first. The other option if you do not have the number anymore (look in the owners manual in case you or the previous owner wrote it down in there) would be a new lock set. I bought one for the wife's bike after I broke the original ignition switch swapping from clip-ons to bars (don't ask). She used two keys for a while (the local dealer had an ignition switch by itself) but when I found how cheap a full set was (I forget how much) I splurged and went whole hog.

Good luck.

I think a locksmith may be able to make a key from the number stamped on the lock.

Guzzi share the same blank with Triumph, at least my 01 Vll does.

Thanks for the help guys.

Guzz what did you have to do to remove the ignition ? I would assume remove headlight,top clamp,and maybe clocks?

Pretty sure they both have tamper-proof screws, the helmet lock and the ignition switch. At least the wife's V11 did.

The helmet lock could be easier, but would be paranoid that a key cut for the lock does not automatically work for the ignition. It would not surprise me if more then one key worked in the helmet lock and gas cap, it could be a simplier lock. Probably completely unjustified, but that is just me. Besides, it is easy to pull the ignition switch. As I recall it was just the gauges, top mounts for the headlight bracket, and pull the top triple clamp. But either way, as I said before, getting a new key is more a matter of the number required and not one of pulling the part and doing anything with it. If you are replacing then you want to do all three.

Ya replacing them would be my last resort.Ill see if I can get that number without removing too much.I had planned on doing a front end service this winter and Check bearings and replace fork fluid were on the list.

Other problem is the bike has the steering locked so not easy to move,so would assume I either need to have key made or disassemble in order to free the steering lock ! ,....or find my key

The easiest lock to remove on my bike is the seat lock just below the right hand side panel (this is also the place where i usually lose my keys) . Mine is held on by 2 allen bolts and can be removed in 2 minutes. the barrel is then fairly simple to remove from the lock  by removing a single screw, metal plate, plastic cable retainer and spring. you then remove the barrel by pressing in the sprung pin on the bottom of the barrel and the barrel will push out.. A decent locksmith should then be able to cut a key to fit.

To refit it is easier to put the plastic cable retainer and spring in position first then replace the barrel.

Thanks Haydn,

That's awesome info,I'll look at it this week.

Ya Ive "lost" my key once or twice to find it in the seat release lock,first place I looked but not that lucky this time!

I think a locksmith may be able to make a key from the number stamped on the lock.

Guzzi share the same blank with Triumph, at least my 01 Vll does.

Typically both the helmet lock and the ignition switch use bolts that the head snaps when tightened so they cannot be undone without more effort. I use a dremel to cut a slot in them and then use a large screw driver to remove.

I am not sure a locksmith could cut you a new key. Usually you get a numerical code and you can get a new key cut from that.

Maybe a locksmith can cut you a key, but I would check first. The other option if you do not have the number anymore (look in the owners manual in case you or the previous owner wrote it down in there) would be a new lock set. I bought one for the wife's bike after I broke the original ignition switch swapping from clip-ons to bars (don't ask). She used two keys for a while (the local dealer had an ignition switch by itself) but when I found how cheap a full set was (I forget how much) I splurged and went whole hog.

Good luck.

Roy and Guzz this is the only writing I see on the cylinder.Is it under that plastic cover.Tried to get it off but it looks like it's secured by a couple screws from underneath.

The easiest lock to remove on my bike is the seat lock just below the right hand side panel (this is also the place where i usually lose my keys) . Mine is held on by 2 allen bolts and can be removed in 2 minutes. the barrel is then fairly simple to remove from the lock  by removing a single screw, metal plate, plastic cable retainer and spring. you then remove the barrel by pressing in the sprung pin on the bottom of the barrel and the barrel will push out.. A decent locksmith should then be able to cut a key to fit.

To refit it is easier to put the plastic cable retainer and spring in position first then replace the barrel.

Got it off Haydn Thanks I'll take it to a local locksmith and see if they can cut a key.

IMG_1549.jpg

Nice one, take the complete lock with you. Here's a list of suitable blanks

Mfg. Part No.: ZA-9.P1

Blank no: Ilco X270 
          Silca ZD24RDP   ZD23RBP
          JMA   ZA-9.P1

guzzikeys.jpg