****Resolved,****Lost Key.What to do now?

mznyc

Nice! Thanks!

Nice one, take the complete lock with you. Here's a list of suitable blanks

Mfg. Part No.: ZA-9.P1

Blank no: Ilco X270 
          Silca ZD24RDP   ZD23RBP
          JMA   ZA-9.P1

guzzikeys.jpg

Are these key blanks available in the U.S. ?

I found a source online through a Wild Guzzi post.

Seems like I might not be able to get a key cut from the helmet lock because the multi-function keys such as ours have different cuts for different functions.Ignition,helmet,seat lock.Havent proven this or been told by a locksmith that this is true but from a Google search from various MC sites of people who have ZADI keys and lost them, that was the theory.Have a couple of emails to locksmiths out asking that question and one of them sells the blanks,so he would probably know.

Has anyone here HAD a key made from one of the other cylinders?

Also seems from the search that Triumph who uses ZADI locks for some of their bikes, can have a key made from Vin # as they saved that info in a data base,don't know if Guzzi did that.

Are these key blanks available in the U.S. ?

I found a source online through a Wild Guzzi post.

Seems like I might not be able to get a key cut from the helmet lock because the multi-function keys such as ours have different cuts for different functions.Ignition,helmet,seat lock.Havent proven this or been told by a locksmith that this is true but from a Google search from various MC sites of people who have ZADI keys and lost them, that was the theory.Have a couple of emails to locksmiths out asking that question and one of them sells the blanks,so he would probably know.

Has anyone here HAD a key made from one of the other cylinders?

Also seems from the search that Triumph who uses ZADI locks for some of their bikes, can have a key made from Vin # as they saved that info in a data base,don't know if Guzzi did that.

I doubt that there will be a problem. Far too complicated and expensive to have different cuts for different functions (there are no fewer pins in the seat lock than the other locks). For the price of having a  key cut to fit the seat lock I would try it. The only time I would see a problem is if an odd barrel had been fitted in the past, in which case you would already know about it having 2 keys.

It is possible for someone with the right skills,time and patience to cut a key from a blank with the barrel in situ. It is actually a competitive sport.

There is a special zaldi key to remove the barrels without dismantling the lock. Most places I have found charge £40 for this key, I have however found a cheaper source  and I'm also experimenting modifiying a suitable blank to remove the barrel. It works by being a little longer than the standard key working on the far retaining pin. I will let you know if I succeed.

.You can even have keys cut from a  photograph of the key. So dont leave them on display where a potential thief could take a snap of them.

In the meantime I would just get a key cut to seat lock barrel

Yup John the locksmith who is selling the blanks said that it should work  cut from the other locks.I'll be looking for a locksmith tomorrow.http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks4.html

If that doesn't work Id be interested in your ZADI removal key  .My Gfriend's in Glasgow maybe I could send you $ and you you drop it in the post to her? ,If it wasnt a big hassle for you,if so not to worry.The local locksmith option will probably work anyway,

Thanks

Michael

***Update***

John from motorcyclekeys.com sent me this,

"All of the locks on your bike
contain all 6 tumblers so just take any lock to the locksmith along
with the key blanks.  I will include key cutting info to aid the
locksmith."

I have the helmet lock off and at a local locksmith and he's looking at it tomorrow,should know by then if it's possible to make key from helmet lock.If not a locksmith near where bike is garaged will come and make one for ignition on site/on bike for @ $125.00,not bad for the price if stupidity. :homer:

I'm sure by spring my original one will show up. :whistle:

Haydn was correct.The seat lock removes easily and a locksmith can make a key from that for $40.00 in NYC.A local offered to do it for $25.00,but couldn't get to them and they were 30 miles away.

So if you dont have a copy,do it now,or trace your copy and/or photograph it.Will make life a lot easier down the road if you happen to lose yours.

Thanks again to all

Michael

• Like 1

Everyone should make a spare and mount it in your helmet or keep it somewhere on the bike.

Either that or figure out how to hot wire the bike - so long as you don't lock the steering.

Do this ahead of time and you will never be stuck.

• 4 years later...

Everyone should make a spare and mount it in your helmet or keep it somewhere on the bike.

Either that or figure out how to hot wire the bike - so long as you don't lock the steering.

Do this ahead of time and you will never be stuck.

Actually, it's pretty easy to pull the Ignition Switch apart and start the V11 with a screwdriver. Until you get 100 miles down the road and can't get the fuel tank open (the *other* 6 tumblers!) . . .

AF1 Racing carries key blanks:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=47350

Turns out my 2002 Aprilia Caponord uses the exact same blank as my 2001 V11 Sport.