Wow! Britten VS Raceco Guzzi

mznyc

Is this the same 'Loopy Lewis'' who was with the Harley dealership in Southampton - the one we used to see doing wheelies around the roundabout outside the shop?

Most likely. He used to do some stunts & stuff on a Harley when he finished racing - think he ran a Harley shop? He was a fair chap on a bike - probably still is, wonder where he is now?

KB :sun:

Edit: Googled him - latest I saw was 2010 he was working for TeamMoto Triumph dealer in Queensland.

Along with clips of him wheelying HD's, came across this clip of him riding Quantel Cosworth at Daytona:

Paul Lewis was a seriously good rider but at the same time although I love the Britten and have enormous respect for the man that conceived it the truth is it was grossly overrated as a race bike.

It lacked development and had a major design flaw in that it was WAY to  tall to ever handle any good. It doesnt wheelie everywhere because of the power it because the C of G is so high.

I think from memory the last time I say it race at Phillip Island about 15 years ago it was turning 1.42 second laps.About as fast as a good 600 super sport bike at the time.

Interesting video though.

Ciao 

what a load a cods wallop man, why you believe such crap I dont know... 

heres a little info reguarding that race, the Britten was and is a farking fast machine that handled briliantly

"Read the book... it's not what it looks like. Stroud had been asked to make it look good so backed right off out of sight of the stands. Louie apparently had no idea what was going on....

Tim Hanna quotes Stroud as saying Cathcart was trying to promote the class and asked if he'd make a race of it.

Stroud agreed. Page 421 for your ref"

Spoken like a true Kiwi,eh

Ciao

Most likely. He used to do some stunts & stuff on a Harley when he finished racing - think he ran a Harley shop? He was a fair chap on a bike - probably still is, wonder where he is now?

KB :sun:

Didn't know Rick Springfield raced bikes :grin:
Also did interview on a gurney,smiling! :thumbsup:

140? I thought that impossable from a air head, and thats detuned, what was it pulling and how the hell they get that out of it? its more than the MGS01

Guinness tuning

I can't quite grappa your meaning!

like britten, some one knew what they were doing...

Yes, that's the same guy. I remember he was always really chatty at the HD shop in Southampton, I did'nt know much about him at the time so managed to avoid embarrasing myself with too much hero worship. Apparently he offered to take on anyone on the track, providing they were not a genuine racer, he would ride a Harley and they could bring what they liked.

I remember when that bike was brought out. I thought that there just might be a revival of Brit bikes at the time. 

It took a few more years though .....

Don't recall details but think the Quantel Cosworth was a derivation of this: http://www.theworldofmotorcycles.com/_norton_cosworth_challenge_750_racer.html

norton_cosworth_challenge_750_racer.jpeg

came across this clip of him riding Quantel Cosworth at Daytona

aint seen that before, awesome a parale twin I asume? at 800cc thats a good effort

Until John Bloor all my adult life the British motorcycle "industry" was a series of threatened & aborted "revivals". What is happening now at Norton (what is happening now at Norton?) seems par for the course. Given our predeliction for shooting ourselves in the foot at any opportunity, what Bloor has achieved seems astonishing. 

I remember the Norton Challenge's brief appearance in early seventies.The Quantel Cosworth was based on that motor & Roger Marshall won BOT on it in eighties at Daytona.

There's a fair bit of stuff on the Cosworth online.

Meanwhile...

SF_4-small.jpg

". . .  what Bloor has achieved seems astonishing. "

:thumbsup:  No question. The modern Triumph line is amazing. The second generation Speed Triple is the only bike that has seriously threatened the Sport's place in the garage. And how is it they come on the scene in the early nineties and develop a better dealer network than Moto Guzzi has after nearly a century?

Cant agree more.Guzzi,even with the standard suspension is still superior to the Speed 3 ,but it's got a great motor and looks.Built like brickhouse.

DSCN2959.jpg

• 2 weeks later...