Lamb chop removal

ush1000

Ok do we call the alloy mouldings lamb chops or pork chops? Either way I need to remove mine (2000 V11 in silver with red chops) because the red paint has kind of crazed and I want to remove the factory paint and respray. If the bike is supported on a Abba stand or similar, how do I get the chops off? Or can I just take them off with the bike on its side stand?

Cheers

Andrew

You should put some wood blocks under the sump and strap the front fork so that the rear wheel is clear.

And don't forget to measure left and right swing arm to frame distances for alignment after rebuilding

Measure before AND after removing lock nuts.You want them to retain the same place after re-assembling

A Jaap and Paul say.I removed wheel and swing arm and lifted the rear from the sub frame with an overhead lift,cheapo  from Harbor Freight.

DSCN3653.jpg

You should put some wood blocks under the sump and strap the front fork so that the rear wheel is clear.

And don't forget to measure left and right swing arm to frame distances for alignment after rebuilding

Measure before AND after removing lock nuts.You want them to retain the same place after re-assembling

A Jaap and Paul say.I removed wheel and swing arm and lifted the rear from the sub frame with an overhead lift,cheapo  from Harbor Freight.

Suppose it was not in the right place to begin with?

I just set it with about the same number of threads missing on both sides.

I am starting on mine this weekend so I hope it goes simply!  With only 2,600 miles on my bike everything around the chops is perfectly clean but I will be careful.  Bought a new Harbour Freight aluminum jack last night and was able to use the 20% off coupon they sent me so that was nice.  More expensive than the steel one but I can actually lift this one with no strain!  I built a wood platform for the oil pan and started on each side with a 1x3 verticle that rests on the side bolts that hold the oil pan to the block.  Then flat pieces of wood under the oil pan all on 1/2" plywood.  My question is if the 1x3 idea on the side pan bolts and flange is a good idea?  It looks like it is a good place to spread force too??

Not exactly sure what you mean by side pan bolts - but would suggest that you spread the weight across the entire sump if possible - I use a hydraulic car jack with a large block of (soft) wood for this purpose ...

Gio

Well, I blew off work this morning and did the right side swap out.  Jacked the bike up with the rear wheel barely touching the ground and removed the old faded one.  Measured the swing arm bolt and it went right back in.  It took a little jiggling to get all the bolts back in with the weight of the wheel still on it but really not a big deal.  It was amazing that all around the swing arm bearing there were tiny particles of sand/dirt whatever.  It's like it's making this stuff as it was exactly as I had read in other posts?

I also bought the foot peg relocation kit from moratech and got that on.  Need to ride the bike to make a decision of this but they look okay on the bike.  Will see.....

Andrew,

Hope your'e going to get the tools out soon. I'm sure it will all go back together again no problem. If you need any help give me a call.

One tip from me when I had the swing arm out, is to suspend the bike from a set of step ladders (a sturdy set of course) and use tie down staps to elevate it. I then slipped in some wood blocks under the sump and carefully shared the load between step ladders and wood block.

Hope to see soon at a kent Guzzi meet?

Paul Smart

Kent