Spine frame transmission mount

callison

I still haven't figured out how to contact Megacycle. Al, give me some info. BTW, I had my heads set up for the 630 in anticipation of getting that cam. Then I wrecked the V11 so all "upgrade" schedules are in limbo.

I have no idea how to contact Megacycle.... only because I haven't tried, and am getting the cam directly through Mike Rich.

You had your heads setup for the x10(sinking the valves) or just got the right HD springs for any of the Megacycle cams?

If I had known ahead of time, I would have had the valves setup for the x10 when I had the head work done last year. But I didn't know....

But it sounds like the x9 is very nice anyway... close enough.

al

You had your heads setup for the x10(sinking the valves) or just got the right HD springs for any of the Megacycle cams?

Both.

I tried the Megacycle site last August and gave up it was so useless. Looks like they've upgraded.

• 1 month later...

It's back (at the top) and here too.

frame_support.gif

I just got my modified Sport 1100i frame back from the powder coater. Very pretty. They sure didn't look at the frame for masking though. Looks like a lot of Dremel wire brush work is due...

• 4 months later...

Here's a photo of the frame plate mounted. It requires removing the tank, airbox and the upper stabilzer rod on the throttle bodies.

I don't expect any real magical difference. Only hoping to avoid another case crack. Less frame flex would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

frame_plate.JPG

Guest ratchethack

FWIW - I fabbed up & installed this support for my '00 V11Sport awhile back. The question is, "Why?" Well, the existing frame tang was just sitting there empty and it bothered me... I figured why not go for some added chassis stiffening if all the engineering is already there, ready & waiting?? ^_^

The dimensions for my support were considerably different from what's been posted here previously, but even so, the photo that appears above (thanks to Doc and I think Carl?) was a valuable guide to work from. There must be different stock part numbers for the support depending on model transition point & year.

Though I didn't have to remove either the air box or upper TB support to get it installed, the measurements & installation were - let's just say a bit of a challenge. It occurred to me that this thing is SO time-consuming to install (& I bet it would be even working with just the bare frame) that it may have been discontinued just to reduce labor costs. Without the ability to lift the bike up off the floor 14" in my workshop to more easily access this area, I would probably have bagged the whole project. <_<

While I didn't necessarily expect any perceptable changes in "feel", I was expecting some potential harmonic differences in the vibration of the spine frame, and there may have been some, though very slight: The bars seem to vibrate a little less now and the pegs seem to vibrate possibly a little more. :huh2:

Yeah, getting the thing bolted up was tedious. Not so much putting it in place but getting tools onto the fasteners took a while. I couldn't find any tool combination to work around the throttle body brace.

This plate was a part number for the Sport 1100.

KB, the plate itself did not return on the V11 Sports of 1999-2001 even though the frame tang remained. With the revised frames of 2002 the tang disappeared and the new front and rearlower subframes debut with the cross bracing. I still want one of those but Guzzi wants over $300 and I have to cut off the forward struts as my case has no bosses to bolt it up.

The Scuras have the 'new' frame with cross braced subframe, yes?

... the plate itself did not return on the V11 Sports of 1999-2001 ... 2002 the tang disappeared and the new front and rearlower subframes debut with the cross bracing..

The Scuras have the 'new' frame with cross braced subframe, yes?

I wonder if dropping bracket caused any noticeable additional flex..causing extra bracing on 02's?

Yes, Scuras have the bracing.