Air filter alternatives

docc

I've been running a K&N oiled foam (more correctly: "oiled cotton gauze") air filter in the stock air box on my 2000 Sport for 10 years. I typically clean and re-oil it once a year and no more than 12,000 miles.

It's looking a bit ratty, and I worry about the controversy that this filter type doesn't really work as well as paper to protect against engine wear.

We've done this topic to thread-lock once before, but I'd like to revisit it and reconsider the pros and cons of paper versus foam filters considering some of the fresh outlooks we have on the forum these days.

Simplest question first, though: what is the automotive cross reference for air filter fitment in the stock air box (please consider both US and Euro)?

Ya'll boys play nice now .  .  . ;)

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors in some of the "testing" done on filters. First of all it is important to know if you are riding in an environment of particles in the air that can damage your engine. The average bike doesn't get exposed to very much so these ultimate cleaning filters are not always necessary. The other factor is that a paper filter reacts to humidity ..... BIG time. If you live where the humidity is high you are probably loosing a significant amount of intake capacity (ie horsepower). I did read about some high end paper elements for automotive applications but due to their increased ability to clean the air they also restrict airflow so the solution there was a larger filter ...... not an option for bikes.

All I know is I use a BMC on my V11 and K&N pods on the Centauro. I clean both at least twice a year or if I have ridden in dusty conditions. Clean them with dish soap and warm water and oil them with fluid for aircraft filters (the helicopter I fly has a BMC/K&N type filter - the filters are cleaned with a soap and then oiled every 300 hours or as needed - there is an airflow sensor to indicate reduced flow).

If it's good enough for a turbine .... it's good enough for me!

• Like 1

Interesting. I just spent a half hour at the auto parts store looking for an air filter by size based upon the dimensions of the K&N. No perfect matches, but the WIX paper filter tech specs all said, "Not for Aircraft Use."

After searching, and re-searching, both this site and guzzitech, I'm surprised there is no simple automotive application noted. I haven't even been able to find the automotive application for the usual K&N 33-2682 that fits the stock airbox.

The closest replacement I found has pleats 0.612 (15,5 mm or almost 5/8") deeper than the K&N. Not sure if there is room to stuff those into the airbox or if that would be a bad idea.

(The application for that closest dimension was for diesel Lombardi and Deutz used in pressure washers and light towers. :whistle: )

If it fits I can't see any drawback to the deeper pleats .. only benefit.

There have not been any certified aircraft filters that I know of for many years. It has been shown that aircraft engines lose power when paper filters get wet and there were some documented cases of paper filters collapsing due to moisture , snow and/or ice causing dramatic power loss leading to unfortunate consequences.

I've often wondered about the way my forward facing air intakes suck up dust, bugs, trash, and especially rain. (I removed the restrictive rubber snorkels day1).

I can imagine a day riding in the rain must affect the air filter where it lies in the box. Seems the oiled foam would be more tolerant of this than paper.

• Like 1

I just bought a K&N air filter for my v11, haven't installed it yet... I just assumed it would be an upgrade over the stock one. Was that a bad idea?

I just serviced mine after 12,000 miles. I had never let it go that long, but it really didn't look awful. I never did find an automotive paper alternative. I don't think there is room to stuff in the pleated filter for the Lombardi/Deutz.

After listening to all the debate, I came away certain about one thing: it's common for people to neglect their air filters, whether paper or foam. Probably worse in an application like the V11 where it's not so easy to get to.

• 2 weeks later...

So it is: the K&N 33-2682 fits Fiat Panda (?) 1982-1986, and Fiat 500 and 600 1991-2005

I'll try to walk into the local auto parts store here in the rural US and get a paper filter for a Fiat. If you never hear from me again . . . . you know what happened  . . . :o

• Like 1

With sales tax and special order (freight and wait), the local auto parts store price is $67 US/ 2013. Just placed online order for the K&N CG-9002 for $42.75.

I'm not confident in this "million mile" durability. My 10 year old 33-2682 appears to have some weak spots in the foam. I'm hoping the better fitting CG-9002 will hold up better since it's not being crushed 1/8" (3+ mm) every time it gets pushed into the box.

For our purposes, it is notable that the K&N application chart does not list the V11 series specifically for the CG-9002.