Air filter alternatives

docc

Getting even further off track, I really question if all these " performance" mods make us go any faster?

As an example, yesterday I went for a wander along my favourite section of technical road , but with my stock pipes back on. ( they look better) . The motor FELT gutless - slow to respond to throttle changes and very little grunt below 6K. But I was quicker! Mostly because I was working at keeping the revs between 6 and 8 K, so tap dancing on the gear lever....I'd might as well be riding a jap multi! If you look at most of the dyno graphs , the big gains are in low to mid revs. A more lazy, relaxed ride? But the stock pipes were easier to ride with BECAUSE it was gutless down low. So I'm going back to my madaz pipes because they're more fun........I may be slower and having to concentrate on smoother throttle use.....but it's fun

I don't know if all these performance mods make us faster, but that is not always the point.

I also have found that I go faster on a quieter bike. I think it is because I am more likely to rev it out when it is not so loud. 

I could point out the classic " A motor is just an air pump, and anything you do to help get more air in or more air out allows the motor to make more power". I have no doubt that a paper filter, especially when new, can flow enough air to make the motor run. And if that is all you care about you should stop there (other than changing that filter often because as it gets dirty flow goes down, fast). But if you want more power from your motor it makes sense to look at ways to get more air into and out of your motor. All you need to do is make sure you are adding the right amount of fuel to go with the extra air flow.

But the main reason I ride is for fun, and all these performance mods make my bikes more fun. The sound, the feel, even the act of tinkering, it all adds to my sense of enjoyment.

A great example of this is my dirt bike. I used to have a DR350, then I bought a KTM 440. I was already pretty fast on the DR350, and the 440 really made way more power than I needed in the woods here in the east. So I was not really any faster on the 440, but the 440 was so much more fun to ride. It would plaster a smile on my face that would last for days. It felt like it could bend time and space between the trees. The DR350 finally died, and I later bought a DRZ400. But I subsequently sold the DRZ400 and I still have the KTM 440. They just don't make 'em like that any more. I don't think I will ever sell the 440.

• Like 1

But the main reason I ride is for fun, and all these performance mods make my bikes more fun. The sound, the feel, even the act of tinkering, it all adds to my sense of enjoyment.

...and the 440 really made way more power than I needed in the woods here in the east. So I was not really any faster on the 440, but the 440 was so much more fun to ride. It would plaster a smile on my face that would last for days. It felt like it could bend time and space between the trees. 

+1 on fun factor - all aspects exactly as you describe it.  That 440 2-stroke must like riding Thor's Hammer.

Your other remarks make me think I should swap air filters - I've got mismatched high vs low flow things on the bikes. LeMans has sawed-off titanium exhaust with a paper filter in the stock air-box; Scura has stock exhaust with a K&N filter in the stock air-box. Would be a good experiment (but not today). BTW - I'm probably faster on the quiet and stealthy Scura, but the LeMans sounds faster. They're both fun.

...and the 440 really made way more power than I needed in the woods here in the east. So I was not really any faster on the 440, but the 440 was so much more fun to ride. It would plaster a smile on my face that would last for days. It felt like it could bend time and space between the trees. 

+1 on fun factor - all aspects exactly as you describe it.  That 440 2-stroke must like riding Thor's Hammer.

Your other remarks make me think I should swap air filters - I've got mismatched high vs low flow things on the bikes. LeMans has sawed-off titanium exhaust with a paper filter in the stock air-box; Scura has stock exhaust with a K&N filter in the stock air-box. Would be a good experiment (but not today). BTW - I'm probably faster on the quiet and stealthy Scura, but the LeMans sounds faster. They're both fun.

Thors Hammer.... Yeah, that fits. But the name of the bike is Gabriela, as in Gabriela Sabatini. Yeah, I am a bit old. But when you ride the 440 in the woods it is all about short burst of throttle. So the bike makes these loud, short, Braaap!!!! sounds. The rest of the time the throttle is closed and you are trying not to hit trees. It reminds me of listening to Gabriela Sabatini playing tennis.

Most of my vehicles have K&N filters or the like in the stock air box. Two have a stock paper filter in a stock air box. One has K&N pods and no air box, but the stock air box on that one supposedly was not designed well (Guzzi Daytona).

I laugh when people say the K&N filters kill motors. I have had motors last for over 100,000 miles with K&N filters. I am sure if you don't clean them and re-oil them on a regular basis they can let dirt in. But I have seen bikes, Guzzi's included, that have no filter at all last for more than a few miles. As long as the filter is keeping out rocks and other things large enough to do damage to the motor I am happy. I don't ride these things in the dirt for Christs sake.

Great tennis metaphor. Here's what I was thinking:

Then he gave the hammer to Thor, and said that Thor might smite as hard as he desired, whatsoever might be before him, and the hammer would not fail; and if he threw it at anything, it would never miss, and never fly so far as not to return to his hand.

...ummm... "air filter"... there, I'm on topic.  :whistle: 

• 1 year later...

expanding the mouths of the stock airbag intakes with some excellent results

I wonder why did Guzzi stop using the "Ram-Air" air intake which they had on the previous model, Sport1100? The motor is not so much different? They could have just shaped the suction pipe end differently? Instead the suction tube was fitted with a snorkel. One suggestion I read was that maybe the V11 system is a "Helmholz resonator"...

Because 'Ram Air' is about as much use as tits on a bull and only begins to start doing anything at all when you're doing over 100mph.!