Air filter alternatives

docc

Make sure the fuel tank is LOW on fuel to make it easier to handle...also , have a helper for extra hands and a good flashlight to aid in removal and installation . I use a cooking spray on the i.d. of rubber parts to help sliding them on if you have trouble .

Docc - when you say oiled foam - do you mean oiled cotton / gauze ..? I installed a K&N (part # 33-2682) at aroun 16,000 km in 2002 and clean it with detergent / re-oil with the red K&N oil every 30,000 km. It looks exactly like that CG9002 one. I'm at around 95,000 km now and have had no problems with it as far as I know.

Gio

I guess I am not using the most correct terminology there: "oiled cotton gauze" it is!

I still have the 33-2682 in mine, but the CG9002 definitely looks like it will be better fit. Other than the slight dimensional difference, they do look similar, but the pleats go across instead of lengthwise.

Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup: (edited the original post)

Finally pulled the tank to install the HID kit and check the air filter.  Last time I lifted the tank to look under it I thought I saw a K&N filter and docc guessed it correctly, if I could see my filter then my airbox had been modified by the PO as shown here:

IMG_1974_zps93b19308.jpg

I pulled it and cleaned the filter and did find that much of the heat shield was not in tack but rather hanging loose around the edges.  I fixed all that up with foil tape and its good as new.  there was a line coming off of the right side nipple, I assume for the overflow.  Ill need to get some more line and a Y to attach the two lines at some point, for now its all back together with the HID kit installed.  Hardest part was getting the damn tank bolt threaded back in its proper hole!

Thanks for all the tips!

Cheers   :thumbsup:

I keep forgetting what the right nipple is. One is the overflow and one is the tank vapor vent. Both can be "T-eed" together if the carbon canister suction system has been removed.

Refitting the tank bolt is a function of tank deformation. Be careful to only remove the tank when it is (near) empty. While there is much debate about fuel additives, ethanol *could* be problematic for these tanks. *Nudge*nudge*wink*wink*know*what*I*mean?*

Oh, for goodness sake: avoid the ethanol if you can! ("Know what I mean . . .?")

Just be advised that a heat shield that flaps around too much can block the intake of a modified airbox causing interesting degradation of performance varying from sudden drops in power at high rpm if it's a little bit floppy to not being able to increase revs above 3000 rpm if it is really floppy!

Don't ask how I know all this ......

Sent from my electronic device!

Trying to avoid ethanol is almost like trying to avoid oxygen anymore… 

Ive had several experiences with clogged air filters so I know what you are talking about Jim.  Foil tape works wonders and now the underside of my gas tank looks like a baked potato!

• 3 months later...