My Scura Needs Forks

squidvicious

I took the Ohlins off my Scura and sent them into Ohlins USA to be rebuilt.  The shock made it, but the forks were lost (or stolen) in shipping.  So, I now have a Scura with a freshly rebuilt shock and no front legs.  I'm having trouble tracking down the old style (non-radial brakes) Ohlins forks.  So the way I see it I have four choices:

1) Wait for the correct (non-radially mount) forks to show up on E-bay

2) Switch to the new style Ohlins and radial mount calibers

3) Find a stock fork off a non-Scura

4) Part the bike out

Any thoughts or advice?  Or have a lead on the correct forks?

First question ....was the shipment insured or does the shipping company have any responsibility for compensation regarding the missing forks?

If so then it is essential that you make it clear that the conventional forks are a discontinued item and have been superseded by the Ohlins with radial brakes. 

If you are stuck with the full replacement then I suggest searching hard for the Ohlins as there is a substantial difference between the stock fork and the Ohlins. The value of your bike would suffer probably proportionally more with this downgrade.

I know others know more about the details of the forks (Paul Minnaert is very familiar with them) so finding non-Guzzi replacements could be difficult. I have heard that GSXR front ends will make a suitable replacement. Somewhere there is a thread about the different Ohlins used on Guzzi's - there were some not so desirable Ohlins used on the early models.

I find it sad that you would have to include the option of parting out the bike but I do understand your thoughts.

I'll search some of the sites I know and hope that a solution can be found to your dilemma. 

If this helps anything, the ID on my front forks is: FG8470 (additionally the other has numbers 2001.12.25 and the other 2001.12.28).  I have understood that these are actually "Öhlins FG43" forks, only made by Guzzi specs (less expensive parts inside).

If yours will pop up, you might wanto to give a thought about the springs / rebuild job. Many have had them changed, I believe.  The orginal springs are "08701-90 9.0 N/mm".  I have now  "08701-10 10.0 N/mm"

Scura_Öhlins.jpg

Ouch!  That's a bummer.

If you decide to go after the shipping company a buddy bought a set of Ohlins off a LeMans.  He paid $1800 so that should give you an idea of value.

I love my Scura.  I think it is the BEST V11 made.  The lighter clutch and flywheel and Ohlins means it rides like no other V11.

It's the closest thing there is to a modern 750 Sport.  My #1 choice would be to put it back to stock.  But I love Scuras.

FWIW: I'd find a cheap suitable replacement fork and ride it until you can find the correct replacements off a crashed LeMans etc.

M

Thanks for your thoughts. Things have been worked out with the shipper, the forks were insured.  Unfortunately, my wife shipped them and did quite understand the value.  Don't worry about parting the bike out, that's the last option.  I posting to see if anybody has leads on suitable forks.  I haven't had much luck on my own. 

is possible to intall the complete upgrade to Ohlins parts with radial brakes?  That might be the only replacements available from the OEM.  If so, that's what I would hold the shipper for replacement costs.

hopefully there was insurance 

quite suspicious that a package that large would be lost.

You could try ReBoot Guzzi Spares - http://www.rebootguzzispares.com/order.htm

He doesn't have any Ohlins models that he is breaking at this time but it wouldn't hurt to send a request. I bought a set of forks from him and the shipping from France was ridiculous cheap and the package arrived in 5 days. 

The Marzocchi forks use a different fender and axle & whel bearings....lots to change !

I remember that now .... and the triple clamps are different but thankfully there are a set with the forks. There are some early V11 wheels for sale but like you say it just gets more complicated and more expensive.

Might be an option to hold over until proper forks are found ....!