Tenth South'n Spine Raid 2014

motowfo

Dates marked, I hope to get up there and ride with you guys again this year. This time get my Lodge reservation in before the rooms are gone (hopefully no biker weddings that weekend). :)

So the Sept. dates on locked in then?

Despite that cactus-looking avatar  :whistle: , it appears you are in "South Central Pennsylvania."

Assume you'll be riding near us -- Cross Junction, Va., 10 miles or so NW of Winchester up U.S. 522 -- on your way down to the SSR.

If interested, maybe we can ride rest of way together.  You are also welcome, if you want to get a head start late down the road a bit, to spend night here before the big miles.  You may be well familiar with area roads, but SR 42 SW toward Bristol is a delight.

Bill

Bill,

That "cactus" looking thing would be a Joshua Tree and I'm about 25 miles east of Harrisburg.

My mind says ride.....my body (wrists) say trailer. I've ridden the Sport 1100 from here to Norfolk, about 325 miles one way, down the Eastern Shore and across the Bay Bridge Tunnel with no problems but that was 10 years ago. Last year I rode the Daytona to the MD/DC rally and my wrists were barking.

The mileage is approximate but it looks like you're about 160 miles from me and Tellico Plains is about 625 miles from me, both one way. As much as I want to enjoy the journey and not just the destination unless I come into a Stelvio or a Norge, which would defeat the purpose of the "SSR", a trip that far looks like it may be a trailering event for me.

Perhaps I can take you up on your lodging offer for a long weekend touring northern VA. sometime.

Bill,

That "cactus" looking thing would be a Joshua Tree and I'm about 25 miles east of Harrisburg.

My mind says ride.....my body (wrists) say trailer. I've ridden the Sport 1100 from here to Norfolk, about 325 miles one way, down the Eastern Shore and across the Bay Bridge Tunnel with no problems but that was 10 years ago. Last year I rode the Daytona to the MD/DC rally and my wrists were barking.

The mileage is approximate but it looks like you're about 160 miles from me and Tellico Plains is about 625 miles from me, both one way. As much as I want to enjoy the journey and not just the destination unless I come into a Stelvio or a Norge, which would defeat the purpose of the "SSR", a trip that far looks like it may be a trailering event for me.

Perhaps I can take you up on your lodging offer for a long weekend touring northern VA. sometime.

Completely understand.

But don't make too much of the second "S" in "SSR."

Docc and others might pine for days of yore -- and I certainly miss my Ballabio -- but it's (almost) an all-brands thing.  If docc disagrees, heck, he's a mod here and my post will just disappear!   :grin:

Kathi and I have been on the Norge for several of them, and I rode the Griso down last year ... well, most of the way, anyway, before I crashed.  :o

We'll likely do the Mini & Griso combo again this year.

Best,

Bill

It's just that the South'n Bier and Grappa Raid could give the wrong impression.  :bier:   :drink:  - and it's awkward to type.

Seriously, it is best to bring "an appreciation" of the Guzzi spine frame; and a deep and abiding tolerance for those souls engaged in those bikes' nuances and needs. Do not be dismayed by late night sessions fashioning exhaust crossover shims out of Dos Equis bottle caps. Jus let 'em boys run wit it! They can't hep themselves.

There is plenty of room for trailer parking. What with SRL's experience last year, count on others of us to help you off-load your fine Guzzi. Gravity is not necessarily our friend! :o

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Whoa.

Just noticed this is getting close ... just over two months out.

Must think hard about which wench from my little Guzzi harem will get the nod.   :D

Hmmmmm.  Maybe I'll go to Atlanta first and borrow my brother's new Cali 1400.   :race:

Seriously, probably the Griso, but thinking Kathi will decline pillioning that whole way and will cage it to Tellico.

Looking forward to this, especially since I was DNF for last year's.   :wacko:

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Seven weeks out! Just emailed Walt to start the reservation process. Rather than fix the oil leak on the Sport, I think I'll just bring a rag. :unsure:

Anyone know if minimike's Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters is still open?

September 12-14, 2014 on the edge of Tennessee, USA with North Carolina and north Georgia.

Very likely to hole up at the Lodge at Tellico, but try for a route that doesn't ride into the sun all day.

Anxious to hear what the hopes and wishes of the Spine Raiders are! :oldgit: :oldgit: :grin:B):rasta::drink:

(You know which one you are!)

Docc, "very likely?"  "realistically?" or "for sure."  (?)

If "for sure", I need to discuss some towing & parking logistics help with someome.  

Bill,

Completely understand.

But don't make too much of the second "S" in "SSR."

Docc and others might pine for days of yore -- and I certainly miss my Ballabio -- but it's (almost) an all-brands thing.  If docc disagrees, heck, he's a mod here and my post will just disappear!   :grin:

Kathi and I have been on the Norge for several of them, and I rode the Griso down last year ... well, most of the way, anyway, before I crashed.  :o

We'll likely do the Mini & Griso combo again this year.

Best,

Bill

I was hoping I'd be back up and running by Sept. (back, shoulder, and neck injury at work in May) but PT is going slowly and I can't say for certain I'll be riding again before the Raid. I hate to make plans reservations etc. only to have them foiled in the end because I can't ride. That said my inaugural Raid may be in '15 but I'm going to wait until mid-August before making the final decision.

September 12-14, 2014 on the edge of Tennessee, USA with North Carolina and north Georgia.

Very likely to hole up at the Lodge at Tellico, but try for a route that doesn't ride into the sun all day.

Anxious to hear what the hopes and wishes of the Spine Raiders are! :oldgit: :oldgit: :grin:B):rasta::drink:

(You know which one you are!)

Docc, "very likely?"  "realistically?" or "for sure."  (?)

If "for sure", I need to discuss some towing & parking logistics help with someome.  

We're on!  "For sure!"

There are a couple Spine Raiders in the vicinity that have offered various assistance. Seems the hospitality stopped short of bail money. :whistle:

I was hoping I'd be back up and running by Sept. (back, shoulder, and neck injury at work in May) but PT is going slowly and I can't say for certain I'll be riding again before the Raid. I hate to make plans reservations etc. only to have them foiled in the end because I can't ride. That said my inaugural Raid may be in '15 but I'm going to wait until mid-August before making the final decision.

If my back/neck etc were "dis-comfortable," it would be difficult to decide whether to take a long trip on a Sport 1100, a Daytona, or a Ducati SS. :wacko:

The Raiders at Large would yet be most charitable if you showed up in an F150 or Town & Country minivan.

Of course they're always looking for someone to go get the pizza since that is one thing that doesn't bungie well! ^_^