Front U Joint Backwards?

LowRyter

I am getting my green 01 Sport serviced for a new rear tire.  I asked the mechanic to enlarge the porthole to service the front U Joint.  When examining it, the zerk is pointed to the rear of the bike rather than pointed to the front.  So regardless of cutting a new porthole, there is no way to access the zerk without disassembling the swing arm.

He recommends that he disassemble it and the reinstall by reversing the U Joint so the zerk points to the front.

Any suggestions or warnings greatly appreciated.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rear facing is correct. Replacing it with a straight zerk (not angled) should give you access through your enlarged hole without removing the swingarm.

I don't recall anyone fittinga new U-joint without the entire shaft assembly. They are pricey - I tried to buy one from TL via MI some years back, but it never came available.

at least with a new one you can install a straight zerk before putting it on the bike... good luck :-/

..U joint is worn out...

Define worn out, please. What exactly are the symptoms? It's not really a common fault and your's probably still well also.

If you really need to replace a single joint or both, search this site: http://www.elbe-group.de/_basics/sublinku33.htm

Don't tell them it's for a Guzzi, they need just the dimensions of the parts. You might also send them your shaft for overhauling, in case you can hold out some weeks without it.

Hubert

Hopefully, that's what I need.  I'll get it overnighted and hopefully will be riding soon- now that the weather is headed to 70 and the snow is disappearing.  Certainly better than being in Daytona and have it lock up on me there,

Define worn out, please. What exactly are the symptoms? It's not really a common fault and your's probably still well also.

If you really need to replace a single joint or both, search this site: http://www.elbe-group.de/_basics/sublinku33.htm

Don't tell them it's for a Guzzi, they need just the dimensions of the parts. You might also send them your shaft for overhauling, in case you can hold out some weeks without it.

Hubert

Hard to say if it's worn out or boogered out. Such the travails of preventive maintenance.   Mechanic said it didn't feel smooth and needed to be replaced.  So, I can get the UJoint for $70.