Time to replace the rear shock

sp838

I am not sure what the differences are between the Öhlins MG(t)127 and the Öhlins shock fitted to the later V11 Guzzis except that the 127 has cable remote preload adjustment.

It won't be cable operated remote preload adjustment it will be hydraulic.

Ciao

I am not sure what the differences are between the Öhlins MG(t)127 and the Öhlins shock fitted to the later V11 Guzzis except that the 127 has cable remote preload adjustment.

Ciao

Still learning something here every day.  :blush: I suppose I must have known that at one time and it slipped with the rest of my mind. :wacko:

Plus, I removed the pannier to have a look and found the adjuster had completely backed off. Turned it back in and time to go for a ride!

Thanks, Phil! (Corrected my post). :thumbsup:

DSCN1272.JPG

Ciao

Still learning something here every day.  :blush: I suppose I must have known that at one time and it slipped with the rest of my mind. :wacko:

Plus, I removed the pannier to have a look and found the adjuster had completely backed off. Turned it back in and time to go for a ride!

Thanks, Phil! (Corrected my post). :thumbsup:

attachicon.gifDSCN1272.JPG

It's just about having the right info out there docc

Ciao

I'll cast another vote for the Wilbers. I have an Ohlins on my GSPD and a Wilbers on my LeMans. Both are fully adjustable with remote preload, and at least 8 years old. The Wilbers hasn't had as much wear & tear as the Ohlins on the Beemer, but it's equal in quality and performance. No matter what you end up going with, the key is having the right build and set-up for the intended mission.

Chamberlin, I have been following your restoration thread, and I think I even commented on it saying that it was comforting to see someone else diving so far down the rabbit hole, made me feel less crazy ;)

• Like 1

Oh yea that's right Simon! Back in April, I remember. That thread has gotten obnoxiously long...but im glad I have it as a build testimony and archive.

Even though the Ohlins rear shock is not in collector grade condition, it's still nice to no longer worry about the eyelet on the Sachs fracturing on a mountain run!

So, just spoke with Mark at Markbilt Racebikes, with whom I left my bike for dyno tuning. He is an Öhlins suspension expert, and seems to think he can just build me a custom one to order, based on the parts he has available and the specs from the previous oem shock Öhlins used to make. He thinks it will not only be possible but less expensive than buying one from Penske. If it doesn't end up being doable, he does recommend the Penske shocks. I will know more next week.

So, just spoke with Mark at Markbilt Racebikes, with whom I left my bike for dyno tuning. He is an Öhlins suspension expert, and seems to think he can just build me a custom one to order, based on the parts he has available and the specs from the previous oem shock Öhlins used to make. He thinks it will not only be possible but less expensive than buying one from Penske. If it doesn't end up being doable, he does recommend the Penske shocks. I will know more next week.

That sounds like a helluva way to go....and if he has all the parts needed, it will be setup just for you and your bike, no questions. Good luck!

Joe

That is the only way to go, having a shock built for you based on your needs. Ohlins can do that, so does Penske and most other shock brands I can think of. Having an OEM Ohlins shock is nice, but until it is sprung and valved to match your needs it is not that special. Part of what is so nice about Ohlins and Penske is that they are fully rebuildable and can be valved to your needs.

I'll cast another vote for the Wilbers. I have an Ohlins on my GSPD and a Wilbers on my LeMans. Both are fully adjustable with remote preload, and at least 8 years old. The Wilbers hasn't had as much wear & tear as the Ohlins on the Beemer, but it's equal in quality and performance. No matter what you end up going with, the key is having the right build and set-up for the intended mission.

Yes the Wilbers are bespoke also. You tell them your weight, whether or not you intend to carry a pillion, the type of riding you do and of course the model of bike and they build you a shock sprung and valved to suit. A remote spring pre load adjuster is optional but the shock length is set as you can only go about 10mm longer on the V11 shock or you will run into front uni joint clearance issues with the swingarm tunnel. 

The Wilbers also have high and low speed compression adjustability where the std Ohlins are low speed only.

Some are fixated with the shiny gold shocks though. In my opinion the std Ohlins is not much better in quality or performance thatn you average Japanese bike shock. Thats why I upgraded my 1198s std Ohlins with the FGRT 803 forks and TTX rear shock.The std Ohlins are fairly average.

Ciao   

Penske are a very nice shock, Had experience with one on a Ducati 996 Corse once.

Trouble is when I went looking for a shock for the V11 I wanted a remote or at least convienient pre load adjuster and at that time Penske didnt have one.

Ciao 

• 3 weeks later...