Time to replace the rear shock

sp838

Docc its a black art to me , I asked for a 25mm drop- the shock looks like a quality piece of kit, it comes set for your weight  and riding(street , track) it also has all the settings recorded sag, preload rebound settings etc-it does say' lowered 20mm on shock and 5mm extra sag ' I haven't had time to check to sag I just bolted it on and am just loving it! I may play about with it at some point but to say its transformed the bike would be spot on!!  :race:

Docc its a black art to me , I asked for a 25mm drop- the shock looks like a quality piece of kit, it comes set for your weight and riding(street , track) it also has all the settings recorded sag, preload rebound settings etc-it does say' lowered 20mm on shock and 5mm extra sag ' I haven't had time to check to sag I just bolted it on and am just loving it! I may play about with it at some point but to say its transformed the bike would be spot on!! :race:

It's only a "black art" if you don't make the effort to understand it.

Can't think of to many sports/ sports tourers that benefit from a reduction in rear ride height. Quite the opposite in fact.

I would be dropping the forks through at least 10mm maybe more depending on how you go for ground clearance and side stand length.

It will regain some of the steering precision and front/rear balance.

Lowering bikes for short inseams is never a good thing really. Better to adapt your riding style or buy a bike that fits you in the first place.

Ciao

It's only a "black art" if you don't make the effort to understand it.

so some people read on the 'net then think they know stuff , not me, Its not that I can't be bothered to understand it, I have a very basic understanding of the forces in action but I don't have years of hard won experience- when I take my bike for a set up session I'll take her to an experienced mechanic with 30+years of wrenching and racing, If someone ask's a question about electrics for instance are you going to say they haven't made an effort to learn!!!

good tip about the forks- thanks

It might not be ideal to mess with the ride height  however the bike is stable, the suspension now does its job and I'm no longer struggling to handle the weight with pillion on camber/poor surface roads! and who the heck buys a bike with their inseam and not there heart foremost in there mind!!

thanks for your input

arriverderci

Going with the Penske 8987. 

Sweet.Nice bling without the stupid price tag.Not cheap but fair for what you get.

not really concerned with "bling", I just want top of the line performance, and the ability to service it. should be very reliable too. price-wise, it's on par with its competitors, but more suited to the style of riding I'm interested in, i.e. spirited highway riding and occasional track days, rather than sports touring. made in the USA is also a very good thing.

not really concerned with "bling", I just want top of the line performance, and the ability to service it. should be very reliable too. price-wise, it's on par with its competitors, but more suited to the style of riding I'm interested in, i.e. spirited highway riding and occasional track days, rather than sports touring. made in the USA is also a very good thing.

Im with you Simon I'm all about value. I only buy things that are functional and don't care about what people think as cool.When I said bling I meant you bought a high quality piece of gear that you wont have to replace or re-build soon.Dont know what you paid for yours but when I got mine it was several hundred dollars less for a comparable Ohlins,which to me was a good value.

In the process, did you find an Öhlins can actually be sourced again for the V11 application? Years ago, when I got mine, the word was it was the last of them.

I called Ohlins USA and they said they had no successor product. Made no effort to offer any alternatives. Saw one on Ebay France for about €1200.