Sorting out a multiple-owner 2003 LeMans

Scud

Thanks guys, I think all the evidence points to the breather hose. The leak didn't appear when I warmed it up at idle, nor when I rode slowly around the neighborhood (with lots of sloshing back and forth and a few quick starts). The leak only became active when I got the revs up. I have a new breather hose and maybe can install it tonight - if not, it's going to be a couple weeks.

And the bonehead award goes to... Scud for his leading role in failing to put the hose clamp on the breather hose when he put the engine back in.

Good news - I just ran 50 miles with lots of time at 5,000 to 7,000 RPM. Not even a single drop of oil on the floor (and only a bit of residue from the mess before came out the bell housing weep hole). Bad news - I burned a lot of time thinking of the worst possible scenarios and re-sealing stuff that was probably not leaking in the first place.

:homer:

(I tried to post 11 Dohs as pennance, but got an error message that I exceeded maximum allowed emoticons) 

Without this forum, I would not have thought to look at the breather hose. I think I would have gotten about halfway through the engine removal process before I noticed the missing hoseclamp. Thanks.

It turned over 13,000 miles this evening - which means I've only put about 5,000 on it in the year-plus I've had it. But it spent about as much time on the lift as on the road. Maybe lucky 13k marks time for a change. Actual mileage remains unknown, since odometer was not working - but I think it has quite a lot more than 13,000.

Good times (and a proper assault on the Sierra Nevadas) ahead...  :mg:

Oh - and the clutch is fabulous. It even lost traction at the rear wheel on a downhill, engine braking, downshift (no rear brake applied). Very exciting...

• Like 1

Having sorted a finicky V11 Sport, and now sorting a finicky Caponord, I can say that the things that will make you crazy, and possibly leave you stranded, are things like a $1.50 length of vacuum hose, a .99 cent clamp, or a $3.00 relay.

So I will carry all of these things with me, forever, like magic talismans.....

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Time for a little update on life with this LeMans...

Solved an apparently complex electrical problem with nothing but new, tight-fitting relays.  Details here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19777

Looking back at the previous posts, I was a bit optimistic about the clutch... but I think I'm on the right track now.  Details here:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19808

And onto the fun stuff...

I put the Ohlins shock on today, which came along with my Champagne project. I'll move the Hyperpro over to that project. I gave it a little test ride and the shock is an improvement over the Hyperpro.  :race:

The shock has a remote pre-load adjuster. And what a perfect mounting plate Moto Guzzi provided (if you remove the helmet lock.)  I'll just drill another hole (the adjuster has 2 holes) and get some stainless hardware.  I mean seriously, that space is perfect... I can imagine the conversation at the factory... "...and this is where we put the pre-load adjuster." "Nah, who would want that? Put a helmet lock instead."

While I was up to my elbows in clutch slave cylinder, I took the opportunity to install the powdercoated lower subframe that I've had in waiting. The take-off had some rusty spots.

Also got a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires in a fun trade - but the current tires probably have a couple thousand miles left on them. Eager to try out the Dunlops.

Good thinking there Scud.  Do you think that location would work with the stock hugger?

FWIW my remote preload adjuster is attached to the back side of the passenger footpeg bracket on the right side of the bike.  I don't have any close up pics but you can see it in this shot.

DSCN1122.jpg

I think there would be room with the stock hugger.  If you want to remove your seat lock, just file some grooves in the security screws - then you can take if off with a screwdriver.

• 7 months later...

8 months since I've updated this thread. Meanwhile, a Greenie has moved in, which prompts a search for the LeMans' next owner. But the brakes were pulsing and the rotors were at minimum spec and I cannot, in good conscience, try to sell a bike with bad brakes. So I just put on some EBC rotors... damn, they're gorgeous.

IMG_7037.jpg

And rebuilt the calipers.

IMG_7036.jpg

This will probably NEVER be this clean again.

IMG_7042.jpg

And I put all the original glossy black body panels back on, and restored a few other mods back to stock (cuz the greenie swiped some of the bling...)

IMG_7040.jpg

While we're talking brake caliper rebuilds... We had some exchange of opinions on a different thread recently:  what to use as lube when putting pistons back in the calipers. I did a little reading after that and decided to use Red Rubber Grease. Interestingly, the instructions that came with the seal kit specified to use brake fluid or rubber grease... yet an envelope of brake assembly fluid was included in the package.

After assembly and bleeding the system I was convinced that there was still air in the lines, because the lever felt spongy. But I rode it in the neighborhood to seat the pads and it is firming up and the brakes are starting to bite. So I will treat it super carefully for a little while longer. 

• Like 4

You've gotta know that the RedFrame must be a true tart to push that gorgeous RedDress out of the house . . . :sun:

Yeah, crispy candy apple green tart she is... and she may still swipe the FBF crossover.

You've gotta know that the RedFrame must be a true tart to push that gorgeous RedDress out of the house . . . :sun:

Yeah, crispy candy apple green tart she is... and she may still swipe the FBF crossover.

Perky tarts are known for this sort of behavior . . .

• Like 1

So I just put on some EBC rotors... damn, they're gorgeous.

IMG_7037.jpg

Are the carriers on those rotors aluminum? If so, I bet they're a lot lighter than the steel ones on my RC. That would be a good place to lose some weight, unsprung and rotating.

• Like 1

Yeah - aluminium carriers. And I think the friction ring probably weighs a bit less too, due to the scallops that are cut in. I wish I had thought to weigh them, but I do recall thinking they were noticeably lighter than the worn take-offs.

Just went for little night romp in the canyon. They feel great. I'm not sure how much of it is due to the new rotors and pads, but I assume a lot of the improved feel is due to new seals in the calipers and buffing the pistons with a scotch-brite pad. I also liked the idea of the rubber grease on the pistons to keep them moving freely out - and especially back in. Makes me want to rebuild some more calipers.

And have I mentioned that Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs are my new favorite tire?

• Like 1