Sorting out a multiple-owner 2003 LeMans

Scud

Zoup - I wish you had posted a few days earlier. I was in Colorado Springs (US Army Fort Carson) Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. I threw the relocation bits away, along with the abundance of washers required to make them work. 

...thanks, I knew it was a long-shot.  I'm trying to get a set-up that I found on here (started back in 2006) and the poster actually started making the set-up.  They have a web-site, but hasn't replied to my direct e-mail to that site yet.  I hope they're still doing it.  The kit would move the pegs 5/12" forward, which should greatly help me..

If you ever get this way again, please look me up as I'd love to pick your brain on the Scura.  I've got a couple of questions regarding turn-in and clutch engagement.  Mine engages about 1/4" from full squeeze.  Thanks again, Bob..

Got a little play-time today. Here are some recently powder-coated (flat black  :ninja: ) bits:

• Alternator cover
  • Valve cover
  • Plug guard
  • Pork Chop
  • Shift lever (if you can't see it, that's the objective...)
  • Footpeg (and bracket)

(previously powder-coated: sidestand and bracket, passenger peg and bracket)

IMG_4481.jpg

I may not get it going this weekend - and I have more business travel over the next two weeks. I am soooooo curious to see if my oil pressure will be higher with the new gaskets (due to missing bit of old gasket posted elsewhere).

Note ubiquitous and obligatory mallet in photo for tapping connecting rod through lower sub-frame (bottom porkchop nuts). 

Thanks to Goose/Zoup - you made me remember that I need to install a speed-bleeder on the clutch slave while the swingarm is out of the way.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got home from Minnesota today, where I almost got to meet FotoGuzzi - but it was the worst snow storm of the year and schedules didn't line up... (next time). Changed planes in Denver, and for some reason a lot of people there were wearing Broncos jerseys. You'd think there was some sort of important sporting event coming up...  :huh2:

I have hardly been home at all for the last month, but I'm hoping to get her all back together this weekend - cuz it is killing me to not know if my oil pressure issue will be solved or not. Bit of progress today:

• Newly powdercoated porkchops are all snugged up (and eagles back on) and the swingarm and pivots from my parts bike, which (along with the swingarm bearings) were in better shape than the ones on the LeMans. Painted the ends of the pivot pins (satin black, of course) so they won't get rusty.
  • Also powdercoated the two driveshaft collars
  • Lubed the driveshaft splines with some Staburags grease (the kind that is specified for the BMW brick)
  • Lubed the seat lock (cuz I already had it apart to get the housing powdercoated) - it works much more smoothly now and there was very little grease in there originally.
  • Other new powdercoating: brake lever, bump stop and hardware, rocker cover and plug guard, footpeg and bracket. Previously done, but still in this picture: master cylinder guard, passenger peg and brackets 

IMG_4543.jpg

Found an extra washer... where does it go? Figured it out, but that means I'm getting sloppy and tired (been up for 20 hours.)

• Like 1

Got home from Minnesota today, where I almost got to meet FotoGuzzi - but it was the worst snow storm of the year and schedules didn't line up... (next time). Changed planes in Denver, and for some reason a lot of people there were wearing Broncos jerseys. You'd think there was some sort of important sporting event coming up...  :huh2:

I have hardly been home at all for the last month, but I'm hoping to get her all back together this weekend - cuz it is killing me to not know if my oil pressure issue will be solved or not. Bit of progress today:

• Newly powdercoated porkchops are all snugged up (and eagles back on) and the swingarm and pivots from my parts bike, which (along with the swingarm bearings) were in better shape than the ones on the LeMans. Painted the ends of the pivot pins (satin black, of course) so they won't get rusty.
  • Also powdercoated the two driveshaft collars
  • Lubed the driveshaft splines with some Staburags grease (the kind that is specified for the BMW brick)
  • Lubed the seat lock (cuz I already had it apart to get the housing powdercoated) - it works much more smoothly now and there was very little grease in there originally.
  • Other new powdercoating: brake lever, bump stop and hardware, rocker cover and plug guard, footpeg and bracket. Previously done, but still in this picture: master cylinder guard, passenger peg and brackets 

IMG_4543.jpg

Found an extra washer... where does it go? Figured it out, but that means I'm getting sloppy and tired (been up for 20 hours.)

Looking great! I have similar pieces pulled off and ready for powder coating. Ironically, I almost got to meet Fotoguzzi last time I was in MN, but our schedules just didn't mesh.

Ken

Ken - in case you haven't done powder-coating before: take some time at the shop and make sure they have masked all the places you don't want coated - and especially that they plug threaded holes. I've missed something every time. Since powder is thicker than paint, it can cause clearance problems - I've had to take some off with files or dremel to get things to fit correctly. It can be challenging to remove powder-coat... (especially if it gets inside threads). So think carefully about any machined surface and what joins to it.

Example problem: I had them coat the entire brake lever (which is the aftermarket one from Harpers). The only part I asked them to mask was inside the bushing (where it pivots). But when I reassembled, the lever was binding. The pivot pin is supposed to hit a stop and allow the pedal to move freely. I had added four layers of powder to that junction: porkchop, 2 sides of the lever, and the underside of the pivot pin (the bottom of the head). I had to file the powder off the two surfaces of the lever to get it to move freely.

Happy day - oil pressure puzzle is solved. Due to the "magic" of Speedhut's stepper gauges, we can see the RPM and oil pressure readings with the bike off.  Now I can finally ENJOY looking at my spendy Speedhut oil pressure guage instead having it constantly remind of an unsolved problem.  

@Rox and Chuck - you may recall seeing the much lower pressures while riding this bike while it was standing in for the Scura during our "Scura Rally."

IMG_4546.jpg

Also of note:

• Freshly powder coated fuel door (and lubed internals)
  • Pazzo shorty levers
  • Tomaselli grips (courtesy of parts bike, along with better throttle tube). The extra padding on these grips is nice.
  • Pre-emptive replacement of all 4 rubber intake boots
  • New rear wheel (also courtesy of parts bike due to better paint, bearings, brake rotor and new tire)

Irony:

On my way home from my 60 mile shake-down, she burped a boot off the RH throttle body. Boy, they run like crap with one boot barely on... I wonder who did such a crappy job installing those boots?  :whistle:

wow! that's a load off. nice job.

Yeah - a big relief to see that it's running pressures consistent with other bikes that have not had problems. It suggests that there is no serious damage and that the motor has some life left in it. FYI on the boots - I didn't have them seated all the way.

So yesterday I rode about 150 miles and, given my increased confidence in the motor, was a bit more generous in the application of throttle. It seems the clutch cannot withstand WOT from 5,000 RPM in 6th gear, and is starting to slip - as evidenced by a temporary 1000 RPM increase, which I'm pretty sure is not wheel-spin.

Ohhhh... she's testing my patience... (and adding evidence that she was NOT a low-mileage bike as I originally believed).  I think she'll get the used clutch plates from the parts bike and the Scura will get new plates later. She needs to stay the hell off the lift after that.  :angry2:

A recurring theme: Italian temptress in a red dress wearing just enough tasty black bits to keep a guy glued on the purpose . . .

. . . like you're going to tell her "no" at this point . . .  :whistle:

• Like 1

Docc - that sums it up perfectly. At this point I am just issuing ultimatums in anger, which I have no intentions of enforcing. We'll fuss a bit more - then we'll go for a make-up ride and all will be forgiven.

But before that, I'm going to ride the other red Italian (Husqvarna) to make her jealous. And I'll remind her that the Husky has a much smaller backside... much longer legs.... and wears narrower shoes.  :!: