Assymetric Fuel Tank?

Craig

I apologize for the lack of updates on my Laverda Fairing.  I have two brackets mocked up and life overcame any more progress.  Once thing I have noticed is that my fuel tank is much closer to the left cylinder head than the right.  I think the tank is riding on one of the charcoal canister lines that routes to the right and above the air box.  Has anyone else seen this?  Maybe my hose is mis-routed.

when I sit on the bike, my tank seems to cover one cylinder totally but not the other.

Which way does yours tilt?  I have to fix this, now that I have noticed, it will drive me nuts.

when I sit on the bike, my tank seems to cover one cylinder totally but not the other.

Which way does yours tilt?  I have to fix this, now that I have noticed, it will drive me nuts.

The asymmetry is in the engine, not the tank. The RH cylinder is forward of the LH cylinder. This is because the connecting rods cannot meet at exactly the same spot on the crankshaft. Therefore the RH rocker cover is more forward and is more exposed than the LH. No fixing this... just enjoy it.

That being said, you could still have issues with hose or wire routing. The emissions hoses can be relocated to a box of spare parts (or replaced with simple vacuum lines). I've been having a hard time getting my airbox to sit correctly because of all the hoses and wires that run underneath. This could possibly tilt your tank.

The asymmetry is in the engine, not the tank. The RH cylinder is forward of the LH cylinder. This is because the connecting rods cannot meet at exactly the same spot on the crankshaft. Therefore the RH rocker cover is more forward and is more exposed than the LH. No fixing this... just enjoy it.

Duhhh.  I feel stupid now.  That is part of it.  Thanks for the clue, I needed one!

Duhhh.  I feel stupid now.  That is part of it.  Thanks for the clue, I needed one!

Engine is also off the center line , 13mm to the drive side ->right.

-KG-

That being said, you could still have issues with hose or wire routing. The emissions hoses can be relocated to a box of spare parts (or replaced with simple vacuum lines). I've been having a hard time getting my airbox to sit correctly because of all the hoses and wires that run underneath. This could possibly tilt your tank.

uhmm.   just like my EV?

:grin:

Duhhh. I feel stupid now. That is part of it. Thanks for the clue, I needed one!

-KG-

AFAIK the V11 with the 6 speed gearbox has the engine in the middle. The older models with the 5 speed box are off with 13 mm.

Sent from a clever thingy with a microprocessor and an interweb connection

I'm having trouble finding a way to make some proper measurements, but there is *about* 10mm more space between my front subframe and the exhaust "header" pipe on the right than there is on the left, but when I project forward from the heads with a rigid beam and measure to the side of the forks there is 125mm +/- 1mm on both sides (engine looks centered to the forks).

Factory drawings dimension the right pork chop mount (rear cross tube of the spine frame) 9 mm further out than the left, but I cannot find dimensions for the engine mounts.

But, I can also slide more of my hand between the tank and valve cover on the right . . .

So, I'm confused :blink: having always accepted that the driveline was offset right 12mm . . .

I was just getting accustomed to being off-center! :wacko::mg:

The proof *should be* in the front subframe . . . anyone have one off and can look at it for (a)symmetry?

Duhhh. I feel stupid now. That is part of it. Thanks for the clue, I needed one!

-KG-

AFAIK the V11 with the 6 speed gearbox has the engine in the middle. The older models with the 5 speed box are off with 13 mm.

Sent from a clever thingy with a microprocessor and an interweb connection

my goodness.  now that does give me food for thought.  thanks

I happen to have the tank off right now. I measured 124mm from spine to base of LH rocker cover, and 133mm from spine to base of RH rocker cover - the same 9mm difference that Docc mentioned. The V11 "hangs to the right." But it's only offset from center by half of 9mm (4.5mm).

Not sure what to do with this information, but at least we saved Craig from trying to straighten his out.

What a bunch of geeky motorheads we are.  :cheese:

• Haha 1

Factory drawings dimension the right pork chop mount (rear cross tube of the spine frame) 9 mm further out than the left, but I cannot find dimensions for the engine mounts.

Are these drawings available on the site somewhere? I searched a bit could not find them.