Replacement Clutch for a Tenni

Paradiso

Any activity on this subject gents? Anybody get a RAM single yet or any word on getting one? The more I ride these 2 bikes back to back, the more I respect the difference. I don't want to give up on a replacement single for the Tenni. Another thought I had is regarding the aforementioned guy who does the lightened steel flywheel... If those work with a single plate system, could we not just replace the flywheel and use the rest of the oem single parts? sorry if this has been addressed and I've missed it.  

I'm having a similar experience. After commuting about 2 weeks straight on the LeMans, I got on the Scura and proceeded to stall it, because the clutch engaged differently (more quickly). I got used to it again in a hurry, but I am developing a real preference for the single-plate feel.

My RAM replacement is still on back order.

I didn't manage to get a Ram clutch-I ordered one early May. I've got a second hand twin plate flywheel and pressure plate on the way. The rest will be new. It's been a very long wait. If you see any parts, jump on them. New twin plate replacement parts are very expensive.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

I'm having a similar experience. After commuting about 2 weeks straight on the LeMans, I got on the Scura and proceeded to stall it, because the clutch engaged differently (more quickly). I got used to it again in a hurry, but I am developing a real preference for the single-plate feel.

My RAM replacement is still on back order.

OK, you convinced me. I ordered a ram unit from MGCycles. He spoke to me at length re: delivery. He has no indication when he will get any. He believes RAM will eventually get around to building some, based on his many years in the moto business, and dealing with the Italians. Said it could be 2 weeks or several months. He won't charge my card till he sends mine out. So I figured why not. He did say one other person has been waiting for a few months. I take that to be you, Scud. haha lucky guy. In the meantime I will still look out for a cheap 6 speed dual plate set, just in case. Sooner or later the universe will balance.

RE: stalling the Scura.... the first time I took off on the Tenni after I got her back, and had been riding the other LM for a year, I nearly shot it out from under me. I felt like a rookie but now realize and appreciate the difference in clutch action.

He did say one other person has been waiting for a few months. I take that to be you, Scud. haha lucky guy. In the meantime I will still look out for a cheap 6 speed dual plate set, just in case. Sooner or later the universe will balance.

RE: stalling the Scura.... the first time I took off on the Tenni after I got her back, and had been riding the other LM for a year, I nearly shot it out from under me. I felt like a rookie but now realize and appreciate the difference in clutch action.

I assume that's me too - but haven't checked in for a while. When I ordered he said he had recently shipped out 2 units. If I had my name in back then, I would have one in hand now. Anybody who actually wants one of these RAM units should place an order with MG Cycle - if they have a few backorders, it could spur another production run.

Sneaking up on 8,000 miles on the Scura - it should go to 12,000. Meanwhile, I'm putting more miles on the LeMans. One of it's possible futures is as an organ-donor.

He said he has 2 on back order. One is for the shelf and one is for "the waiting man". so mine makes 3. He also said he gets their 5 speed version fairly often, so they are at least workin on stuff. I wonder what the story is on folks getting the RAM for the 5 speed. I think you can go fast, have fun, and still baby the clutch. I think mine will last till I get it replaced.

Well, I've got the parts.

20151003 161848

20150905 172009

20150905 171840

Used the old flywheel to position engine at L/H TDC, ready to install twin plate steel flywheel.

20150905 171439

20150905 171455

Still missing some fasteners, which I've ordered.  Once they arrive, I should be able to fit it.

If you don't mind sharing - about how much did you end up paying for all the parts to do this job?

Having just bought a low-mileage, crashed parts-bike with a twin-plate clutch and flywheel, I'm trying to assign a value to the kit.

If you don't mind sharing - about how much did you end up paying for all the parts to do this job?

Having just bought a low-mileage, crashed parts-bike with a twin-plate clutch and flywheel, I'm trying to assign a value to the kit.

Probably around £400 for second hand and new parts combined. I don't know if this is standard, cheap or expensive. I couldn't get the RAM clutch kit and second hand clutch parts aren't easy to find. All new parts are £1500. Availability may be different in the USA.

I put the clutch together . Lined up the new flywheel with the arrow aiming at the 'tit'.

a045db30fddb203bdbceb79de6007809.jpg

I fastened the flywheel bolts with loctite 243 and new schnorr washers to 42Nm.

b0e52f6970931856b5884248387152e6.jpg

I canted the motor forward to put the pressure plate and springs in place. The dot on a tooth has to line up with the arrow on the flywheel. I then compressed the springs with the new clutch hub using a M12 1.5 bolt and nut. Bolt was 110mm long.

3262ed28e6ba92f18ce0e8768cf17b00.jpg

Then fitted friction plate, intermediate plate, another friction plate, then the starter ring.

7bf9bf408a7b929b0bff1c99ee89f816.jpg

1d4a9160c13bc47bc7f9fa84e2a2bffc.jpg

6026160cd4ec07a046fd6caffb259325.jpg

bf1709c80b19d69ac4dcee4d512dab80.jpg

Pete Roper's article on Greg Bender's site was really useful. I just followed the instructions.

I thought the photos might be useful to anyone about to do this job.

Simon

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a short run with the new clutch and all seems well. In fact, it doesn't feel that different with a two plate clutch.

ec069d2e3b6a15a6e3576519ef03d1b9.jpg

79e029bfeff0f1cc900d925572df2108.jpg

88426c79882ed2844c123fa55c6a97af.jpg

7dc5c8717df0e2f8c26fa76d8070261d.jpg

If there is an easy way to reunite the engine with the gearbox, I didn't discover it.

Only other issue was caused by using a slightly oversize 'o' ring on the crank sensor during some engine out maintenance. It wouldn't run below 3000 rpm until I replaced it with the original.

I've missed the roar and I'm pleased it's up and running again.

• Like 1

He did say one other person has been waiting for a few months. I take that to be you, Scud. haha lucky guy. In the meantime I will still look out for a cheap 6 speed dual plate set, just in case. Sooner or later the universe will balance.

I assume that's me too - but haven't checked in for a while. When I ordered he said he had recently shipped out 2 units. If I had my name in back then, I would have one in hand now. Anybody who actually wants one of these RAM units should place an order with MG Cycle - if they have a few backorders, it could spur another production run.

Sneaking up on 8,000 miles on the Scura - it should go to 12,000. Meanwhile, I'm putting more miles on the LeMans. One of it's possible futures is as an organ-donor.

Well, this post knocked me off the fence on a RAM.  I just ordered form from MG Cycles.  Christmas present. For 2016.

Well, this post knocked me off the fence on a RAM.  I just ordered form from MG Cycles.  Christmas present. For 2016.

Hopefully Christmas 2015, for 2016 project... but who knows... could be Christmas 2016...  I hope Santa and his Italian moto-elves get busy. Maybe a little back pressure through MG Cycle's waiting list will help.

:xmas:  :helmet: :helmet:  :helmet: :helmet:  :helmet:  :helmet:  :helmet:   

• 2 months later...

Hi guys................ just eves dropping here a bit.............. was wondering what the costs were for the two different clutch assemblies?

Apologies if I missed that some where along this thread.

Ciao.