Replacement Clutch for a Tenni

Paradiso

I really, really can't see why people persist with the old single plater or the RAM. The amount of extra rotating mass is really minimal when compared to a last generation twin plater. If you're really keen you can lighten the steel flywheel off a final generation twin plater or even go for a lightened alloy flywheel, (Which I used for a couple of decades, including in our race bike which made more power than your average V11.).

Unless the RAM has changed they no longer supply an organic friction plate, the only option being a sintered bronze plate. These have always had a very, very limited life. If you're happy having the gearbox in and out like a rabbit's cock on the vinegar stroke? Go Fer yer life! But honestly I have to say I think it's a bit of a fruitless chase.

YOMV.

Pete

An artwork might be a more fitting purpose.  It isn't very good as a fly wheel.

I may well end up with a twin plate.  I was told about the Ram unit-it seemed the closest match to the original and the cost was probably less than sourcing the parts for a twin plate.

I like your rabbit phrase.  I don't want to do that...

:)

At risk of restating info from the last page, the guy at MG Cycle said that there have been a number of significant improvements to the RAM clutch over the years and that he has over 40,000 miles on two different ones - although some of the earlier ones didn't last so long. He did say it is a sintered clutch plate (with more material than earlier versions), that he initially had reservations about it, but that it has proved reliable for street use and he is now a "believer."

As Paradiso mentioned, it appears to be the most cost-effective and easy-to-install option - a complete bolt-on kit. Although it is not the easiest thing to make appear on one's workbench. 

As for differences in feel, I notice only small differences between the single plate on the Scura and the twin plate on the LeMans. Maybe a little more inertia/momentum on the LeMans and a little more responsiveness/quickness on the Scura - but the differences are not big enough for me to get worked up about or have a clear preference. The noises are different (dual plate is noisy only when the clutch lever is pulled in - opposite for single plate), clutch effort is not significant on either bike.

Vinegar stroke - had to look that up. While I am familiar with the phenomenon  :wacko:, I had not heard the term. This is such an educational forum... 

I was looking at the RAM kit off the MG Cycle, being a Scura owner contemplating a clutch change.  

Capture1_zpsrcpd3sc9.jpg

New to this topic, if the aluminium flywheel is the weak link on the single plater, then is there a simpler solution of changing to a steel one? Or that flywheel does not exist?

Cheers

I have had the two plater from 30.000 kms on. And as quoted before, my mechanic said: "one or two starts more and the flywheel parts would have been flying round your head".  Interesting subject, though.  If the weight difference is only 0,68 kg (two plater 5,48 minus new one plater 4,80), why bother ? Specially when Scud says that there is not too much difference between the one- and two plater and he has both options to choose from, daily.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8713:

"Posted 22 August 2006: The warranty-takeoff single-plate clutches from a Cali can be easily lightened to Sport or RAM weight. When fitted with the right plate, they work great, and they're made of good, old reliable steel. I'm building a hot-rod Tonti LeMans with a Sport 1100i engine in it, and that's the clutch I'm gonna fit it with. My Eldo already has one, since September of last year. // I have salvaged three of those flywheel/clutch systems sor far. They totally transformed my Eldo and 850T."

So the summary of the fix is (1) RAM kit or (2) twin-plater conversion.  Does anyone know the estimate cost of the twin-plater solution? I do not seem to be able to find a ready kit available, and it thus seems that one has to collate the entire parts for a twin-plater to install.

Cheers 

Here is a guy who makes twin plate lightening kits.

http://www.guzzipower.com/store/Flywheellightening.html

That says, "These fit all big block Guzzis from the 1967 V700 to the late model Californias."

Remember the twin plate V11 already has a lightened flywheel. Not sure if the V11 clutch, itself, is "lightened."

Slowkitty, is your 2002 V11 a Tenni or a Scura with the single plate clutch and aluminum flywheel?

If the weight difference is only 0,68 kg (two plater 5,48 minus new one plater 4,80), why bother ? Specially when Scud says that there is not too much difference between the one- and two plater and he has both options to choose from, daily.

...but I am notoriously insensitive. 

I also want the easiest, most cost-effective, and durable solution. I could manage just fine with 40,000 miles between clutch services.

@czakky - thanks for that link, I hadn't seen that organization before.

Slowkitty, is your 2002 V11 a Tenni or a Scura with the single plate clutch and aluminum flywheel?

A 2002 Scura .. with the grenade-primed single plate.

I am looking to convert to something safer. I just learnt from Gutsibits that the RAM kit is a thing of the past. So can anyone suggest where can I pick up a twin-plater clutch?

Cheers

Just an update .. MG Cycle wrote to me to state that the RAM kit is available say within a month.

I wonder if the RAM kit use the stock clutch plate? Or its own which is unobtainable?

decisions decisions decisions ....

MG Cycle also sells replacement clutch plates.

To me, the biggest attraction to the RAM kit from MG is that it is complete. I'd be just as happy to throw in a twin-plate unit for the same money if I could get all the parts in a kit. I want to avoid buying a mix of new and used parts from several different suppliers - and ending up with something I can't figure out how to install.