V11 Lemans/RossoMandello/Corsa/Ballabio/Scura? ?

pco27

Did i miss any?

I am of the understanding all these bikes are the same base frame/engine/suspension/running gear???

The only difference is the paint scheme? I love them all and in the market again for another Guzzi :) My last was an 84 Lemans and the v11 smokes my tires. Price point is a big issue for me...so if its all the same I'm thinking any V11 will do and I can cusotmize to suit if I dont like the color scheme (i do my own work so price isnt an issue there).

Anyone more knowledgable on these matters?

all the best

Ross

Hi, Ross! Welcome to The Forum for V11 Moto Guzzi!

Model breakdown is an interesting question since there were quite a few variations on this theme. There is a model year breakdown in Frequently Asked Questions, but I'm gonna move your thread to the "24/7 V11" sub-forum where it will get better viewing and more discussion.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

In short, there are (generally) three generations of V11: the early "RedFrame" 1999-2001 which includes the Rosso Mandello (even though its short frame is painted black), the Second Gen of 2002 which introduced the long frame LeMans, and the Third Generation 2003-2004 (maaaybe 2005) which introduced black face ITI gauges and minor changes to the engine.

There were myriad other small changes throughout the production run of V11, but we can talk that all up and have some fun with it!

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to the different models, I didnt see the Rosso Mandello, only produced in 2001 and 600 made worldwide. I am a little biased towards this model (my name being Ross) after visiting the factory in Mandello de Lario many years ago for there 70th anniversary, only the second time they opened the factory to the public! (i cant remember what year that was....90 something). I will dig out all my pics and post them one day (they will need to be scanned first!). I do believe i have some pics of the Daytona 1000 fuel injected before it was released.

They are all BASICALLY the same. But there are differences between years and between models. Some differences are obvious; the LeMans has a fairing mounted to the frame, some versions have clip--ons and some have traditional handlebars, and some versions came stock with Ohlins suspension. Other differences are harder to spot; the early red frames had steeper steering head angle and a shorter wheelbase, early versions had an external fuel pump and a pad on the tank top.

The Coppa Italia is my personal favorite version. I don't own one but wish I did.

• Like 1

The really interesting thing about these bikes, to me, is their progression into the 1100 Griso, which had the first iteration of the single sided CARC swingarm. One of my fantasies is somehow figuring out how to graft an early Griso transmission and drive onto my V11. Would be so trick...

The above-referenced resources and browsing through the gallery images will help you see what's on the menu. Here's my experience:

:ninja: 2002 Scura: bad engine paint, PEFS (potentially exploding flywheel syndrome), Ohlins suspension (excellent), lots of carbon fiber (which benefits the bike in the same way that a haircut benefits an overweight person), "limited" production, and the matte black...  :P:

:mg: 2003 LeMans in comparison: better wind protection from the frame-mounted fairing, easier to remove tank for service due to different fuel pump and filter arrangement, top of tank is smooth (no raised pad in the middle), Marzocchi/Sachs suspension works, but wants to be upgraded.

There are a few other differences, but nothing really big.  They're fantastic bikes - and wonderful platforms to customize and make your own.

People have been posting ads as they find them in this thread:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18375&hl=craigslist&page=10

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to the different models, I didnt see the Rosso Mandello, only produced in 2001 and 600 made worldwide. I am a little biased towards this model (my name being Ross) after visiting the factory in Mandello de Lario many years ago for there 70th anniversary, only the second time they opened the factory to the public! (i cant remember what year that was....90 something). I will dig out all my pics and post them one day (they will need to be scanned first!). I do believe i have some pics of the Daytona 1000 fuel injected before it was released.

In the "breakdown of model years" in FAQ, see the fourth bike from the top (Rosso Mandello), but also scroll down to the 2003-2005 Rosso Corsa.

The brochure showing the Rosso Corsa is here (scroll to the end of that brochure) and is shown in at least a couple others as a variant of theLeMans.

Rosso Mandello is in the this brochure (scroll to the end).

From a price standpoint, the RM is likely to be more affordable.

The really interesting thing about these bikes, to me, is their progression into the 1100 Griso, which had the first iteration of the single sided CARC swingarm. One of my fantasies is somehow figuring out how to graft an early Griso transmission and drive onto my V11. Would be so trick...

That is funny. While I like the look of the CARC, leaving the left side open (my pipe exits on the right now), the CARC is heavy and does not accommodate a rear stand. I would happily trade it for something better. Also, the Griso gearbox is supposed to be an improvement but I find the V11 box works better and is shorter. Length is a major issue with Guzzi's, the longitudinal layout means that a length of the gearbox impacts the wheelbase and weight distribution. In this case, shorter is better.The Griso is nice, it is my rolling couch. But the V11 is a much sharper tool that handles better and goes faster. Of course, my Griso is an older 2v version. The newer 8v should be faster in a straight line. Probably not faster around corners, though. I am glad I own both (the V11 is really the wife's, but she lets me ride it) but if I had to sell one it would be the Griso.

i'm quite in the same position of you, or i will next week :)  i own a V11 2000 short red frame black body and will have my griso next week to be able to work a bit on the V11 repolish repain some parts ou need clean etc and soon "she" will never see bad weather again :)

i assume the 8v is gonna be a game changer in the city than my bracelet V11 ristretto racer :)