Motogadget instrument unit

stewgnu

My clocks have died :angry: so am looking for a new set-up.

Moore Speed Racing have a great range of stuff available and I particularly like the idea of fitting a small, single unit, a la:

http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/cafe-racer-guages/motogadget-motoscope-tiny-speedo.html

I'm happy enough to potter my way thru electrical works but I wondered if the more savvy amongst us think fitting such a unit would be relatively straightforward?

Are there any obvious issues to be aware of when installing different gauges?

Ta for any input :) ,

Stew

I'm thinking of going the same way although I seem to have the only fully working ITI speedo left but for how long? I spoke to Moore Speed Racing last week and he asked me to email my requirements but they haven't got back to me yet, I was looking at the Swift speedo and tach as they do a pulse unit that replaces the speedo cable

You asked for obvious issues, and having just my replaced gauges, here are a few questions you might ask yourself during the planning phase.

1. How will you mount the gauge(s)? Will one of their brackets bolt directly to something on the V11 - or will some fabrication be required?
  2. How will you produce a signal for the speedometer?
  3. What will you do with all the warning lights? Does the new gauge replace all the functions - or will you be stuck wondering where the put the stock lights you still want to use?
  4. Are the gauges waterproof? - especially important for a naked bike in the UK...
  5. Do you want an oil pressure gauge or voltmeter while you're at it?

The thread Installing Speedhut Gauges shows where you can pick up power and signals from existing dash wires (it was nice to be able to re-use wires from the ITI units). I don't have much electrical experience, but I managed to get them to work by following the manufacturer's instructions and With a Little Help from My Friends

Right O, let us know if Moore's get back to you Steve, be interesting to know their input. 

Scud:

1) My preliminary thoughts are to replace the whole stock set-up with a 'pared down' appearance- one unit on a bracket.

However I've not had time to muse too deeply as yet.  Electrics aren't my strong point but I'd be happy to shape a bracket up (plus Moore's say they have them to suit anyway).

2) Speedo signal... hmmm... this straight from the website and over my head:

"...compatible with most of original speedo sensors (Dry-Reed and inductive proximity sensor like BuellTM oder Harley-DavidsonTM). In this case you connect some cables and you do not need to install a sensor.
An intelligent 'Teach-Function' enables the instrument to calibrate itself when riding the bike."

3) I assume the unit would feed off the existing cabling.

4) The unit is apparently water- and shock-proof.

5) Oil gauge and Voltmeter?  I don't need the extra worry, ta! :bbblll:

Great thread from yourself, Chambers and Roy by the way- I feel the job mightn't be as scarey as I'd thought. :thumbsup:

Stew.

Hey Stew - 

Sounds like you've got some answers already.

Speedo:  Our bikes don't have a speedo sensor, they only have a mechanically driven cable - so there's nothing for the new gauge to be compatible with. KiwiRoy installed a sensor (I think he made it himself :notworthy: ). That part of the project was intimidating to me, and I thought the GPS speedo was cool, and easier to install - magic speedo signal from thin air...

Warning lights:  There are a shed-load (in America we say shit-load) of wires into that T-shape between the gauges. Make sure your new gauge will replace all the functions: oil pressure warning, charging warning, neutral, turn signals, high beams. If your new all-in-one doesn't do some of the functions, then you will probably want to put some other warning lights in.  Not messing with all those wires was one my primary motivators to keep the stock appearance - plus the plastic gauge cup protects them from the elements.

From my own recent experience - try to talk with a technician before you order. That would have saved me some time and rework. The job was a little scary to me - but I just went slowly and got friendly with my multi-meter. Good learning experience.

Cheers man, some stuff to mull over there....

I've just been inspecting the damage to my binacle (arf!) and maybe it aint too bad to fix after all...

We also say "Shit load".

Sometimes we've been known to call it a "@#!#$# tonne".

Pardon my potty mouth.

While your speedometer is entirely mechanical, the tachometer must have quit for a different reason. Luhbo (Hubert) often reminded us that there is a common internal fault (I'm thinking he said it is a fragile coil that breaks?), but the second relay also powers the tach. Be certain all of your lights are working (headlight/brake light/horn), otherwise the bike will not be charging.

Cheers Docc, yeah when I took the tacho out I found 2 broken wires and a puddle (is anyone else tempted to pierce a small drain hole in the tach side??).

I've a spare tacho as it happens due to the current one being reet misty.

Not certain why the speedo/odo failed yet but seeing as I smashed the binacle when I dropped her off the stand, I was thinking of replacing the lot.

All other leccy components seem fine so far...

• 5 months later...

Sorry if out of topic, my tach did stop working today. I checqued found wires and everything seems ok.

Since I live in Southernmost Chile and my bike is the only one V11 in the whole country, no way to get spares here. Do you know where can I find a replacement?

Thanks

Salva

Salva,

Let's make a new topic for you to find or fix your tachometer.

Heh, this can be a deep rabbit hole. I ended up doing a complete front end swap because my tach was broken and didn't want to replace it with a stock one.

I would follow Kiwi_Roy's theead on using Speedhut gauges as they are a pretty close match dimensionally to the stock units and you can keep the dash. Get the GPS speedo though. It makes for the simplest and cleanest installation. No pickups to glue onto your wheels and fork legs, one easy discreet antenna wire to run back to inside the tail cowl. You get to keep all your idiot lights.

you could do a combo speedo/tach on one side, and a combo of other instruments (oil pressure, charging system, etc.) on the other if you wanted to get fancy...

My speed sensor fits in the gearbox where the cable was, it's just a magnet spinning near a reed switch no bearings or machining required.

I don't seem to be able to post a picture at the moment

As I recall, you can buy those sensors from a variety of sources. It is mostly a matter of finding one that will screw on to the Guzzi speedo drive fitting at the gearbox.

I do like the idea of the simple installation of a GPS based unit.