2004 V11 Handle Bar Nut?

moto fugazzi

That looks like a stock threaded handlebar weight. Did it have another part or two on it? Mine have a small bar that goes across and receives the nut for the end-cap. If it is the same thing, it should come out counter-clockwise.

I think a good soak in your favorite fluid, followed by more leverage will probably do the trick. Do you have a 6-point socket or wrench to prevent more rounding off?

That is such a great color...  :P:

Yes, the bar end weights are off. I'll try fluid and heat later this week, but I just might put on a set of clip-ons instead.

Believe it or not, those nuts were already rounded off like that. I took the pic before I had a go at it.

This bike is cleaning up incredibly well...

Ken

Fun times... degrease and discover...  And I believe you, by the way. There was a huge difference in the discovery phases between wrenching on my previously untouched Scura and my multiple-previous-owner LeMans.

Don't you have the Napoleon bar-end mirrors on your Sport?  If you have not seen the stock bar-ends before then you might not realize that you have not removed the weight yet; the end-caps weigh nothing compared to what's inside the bars. That nut threads into the bars, and there is a tubular, rubber-insulated weight that goes in about 4 inches. It's a pretty effective vibration damper.

I've the standard ballabio 'bars on mine but have often wondered how clip-ons might feel.  Looks like they'd be quite far away...
Extra points:  What's that curved plastic plate set into the control housing for?

Stew

I've the standard ballabio 'bars on mine but have often wondered how clip-ons might feel.  Looks like they'd be quite far away...

Extra points:  What's that curved plastic plate set into the control housing for?

Stew

It's to cover the gap where the light switch was on early bikes Stew, your 04 should be the same with no switch

Moto Fugazzi,

They do come off. Changed my grips the other day and had to remove them. However my did go with a almighty crack, and I did wonder for a second.