New v11 Lemans - fly and ride

Kingofgix

My route won't be quite that scenic Scud!

When I get home I want to check the valves, and I need a stand. Looking for recommendations for a good one. Thanks!

By the way, many thanks to Fotoguzzi who has agreed to pick me up and deliver me to the sellers door. As a former V11 Lemans owner, I look forward to picking his brain.

Well, the fly and ride is over and was a grand success! I flew to Mineapolis Friday morning and our own Fotoguzzi picked me up and drove me to the sellers house 2 hours away. Thanks! The bike came with 4500 miles and as advertised, looks brand new. My goal was to get back to Colorado by Sunday, so I headed out about 3:30 on a warm but mostly clear afternoon. Took MN 23 SW and maintained about 60 mph as I got used to the bike. Crossed over into SD near Souix Falls, then west on I90 all the way to the Missouri River, 300 miles for the afternoon at a steady 90 mph indicated. First gas stop:

image.jpg1_zpspgvktzmd.jpg

Next morning I headed south to get off the slab, and took mostly US18 across souther SD to Hot Springs, where I had lunch. Covered another 300 that morning and wicked her up to 120 for awhile which seemed to be no problem. In the afternoon, although I had planned to spend a little riding time in the Black Hills I just decided to go for it and headed home, another 300+ miles. A brief leg stretch near Edgemont SD:

image.jpg3_zpsitlmwmuo.jpg

Sturgis was this week, and there was tons of traffic heading my way (had seen the same heading the opposite way earlier). Harley's, Harley's on trailers, Harley's pulling trailers, campers with Harley's in tow, etc. Actually made for a fun ride, because I got to pass all of them! Kept me from focussing too much on my cramped and aching knees. Anyway, I made it home safely, 900 miles overall in 1-1/2 days on what is probably ythe most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden, but obviously not all THAT bad. I don't think I will be planning any more 600 mile days though.

So running hard, the bike iis a dream and handles great even though it isn't Ohlins. But I did notice that while cruising through towns at say 35 mph in 3rd gear (below 4000 rpm) it surges pretty badly. Also, the right exhaust is blacker than the left. So wondering: throttle body balancing, fuel mapping, ???

• Like 3

Great bike. Congratulations. Riding that bike in a straight line for a long time can be uncomfortable. I find it much more comfortable when the roads are curvy and I can move around. I think you're going to love it when you get it into the mountains.

It's probably worth doing a tune up and fluids - hopefully the tune will take care of the issues you noticed.

It's probably worth doing a tune up and fluids - hopefully the tune will take care of the issues you noticed.

+1 . . . adjust the valves, zero the CO trim with guzzidiag, fresh plugs, set the TPS and balance the throttle bodies. Magic!  :luigi:

Thanks for sharing the adventure! Sweet looking LeMans!  :thumbsup:

Congrats! Like the others have said, do the mechanical tuneup first. If you feel like you need to adjust the fuel or ignition map, let me know, as I have several. I just put a 2004 map on my 2001, and it seems to run a little better. If you have pinging, I have a retarded ignition map that will take care of that. 

Check docc's tank off maintenance list: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18195 and put a new air filter in right away....sometimes mice nest in those if they can get in.

The Roper Slopper plate is a good idea for extra insurance. I don't have one on my 2001 V11S, and never had issues for the past 3 years. I did install one on my 2004, since I had to remove the oil pump in order to get the oil filter off. I bought my plate from a forum member a few years ago for a good price, so I figured I'd install it. From what I gather, the plate is most helpful f you like to do wheelies, or are going up a steep incline under hard acceleration. I don't do either of those, so I never worried too much. If you're near the mountains, it might be a wise idea.

Ken

They were pretty loose.

What does that mean in numbers? Were both cylinders set the same?

I think you were looking for some consensus on correct valve settings earlier. I think the only consensus is that the specs in the manual are too tight - and that looser is better. .006 Intake and .008 Exhaust is about as close as you'll get to consensus, if you search this forum for Raceco specs you'll find them at .007 I and .010 E. The looser specs seem to work well for me - and although I live near sea level, I do ride high elevations regularly. Nothing so high as Trail Ridge Road of course... 

They were looser on the right side, which were about .008/.012. The left was closer to the Raceco numbers. I am doubting the adjustment will have much effect on the way it runs, but I will find out today. I think (hope) a throttle body balance will make a big difference.

Every little bit helps. GIven the low miles, it probably sat for a while. You've run plenty of fresh fuel through it, which is good. It might also be good to run some injector cleaner through the fuel and clean the throttle bodies. 

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a great ride! I did something similar when I purchased my first Guzzi (2003 V11 Le Mans). I flew down to Florida, picked up the bike, and rode it home to Toronto over the next three days. Great way to bond with a new machine!

Enjoy it!

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. The bike is running great and after putting about 2000 miles on I am quite smitten. Of the many bikes I have owned, including many Guzzi's, this is the most visceral and engaging. It has a very solid and planted feel that is hard to describe. The engine is wonderful. I have done what I can to it and it is probably running at 90+ percent of what it is capable of in its stock form. Would like to squeeze out the other 10, but It is beyond my ability.

I fitted some lower footpegs and a set of Tankslapper plastic protectors for the tank. These are a great product, unobtrusive and easy to install and remove. Highly recommended.

• Like 2