Sidestand snapped! Bike fell over(not)!

JBBenson

Kidding.

But now that you're here, anybody ever had this happen, or know of it happening?

I ask because when touring, I often load or unload my bags when still on the bike, and the sidestand wobbles and flexes a bit. It looks so flimsy. I don't have a centerstand, not sure if I can fit one with the Stucchi crossover I have.

I do wish there was an side stand upgrade made of steel instead of the cast aluminum of the stock one.

Anybody here ever found or fabbed one up? Or am I being paranoid?

Have not heard or seen such a thing. But I've noticed the flex.

As for loading the bags. I keep a block of wood in the garage to keep the bike more upright when parked there - so there is less weight leaning on the stand. I also have a roll-on front wheel chock that will hold the bike upright - but I can't get it out by myself unless I figure out how to secure it to the garage floor (post-tension slab, drilling in floor not allowed).

This thing is nothing.  My old K75 looked like it was ready to tip over it leaned so far.  All of us K bike guys had the same initial impression but I never heard of one failing. 

That said, it doesn't look that hard to fab up a steel replacement for it.  Some thick walled 4130 tubing would do nicely.

I expect there is a worldwide market of maybe two or even three...

also have a roll-on front wheel chock that will hold the bike upright - but I can't get it out by myself unless I figure out how to secure it to the garage floor (post-tension slab, drilling in floor not allowed).

solve that with a thin piece of plywood bolted to the chock.. when the rear tire weight is on it, no problem pulling it out..

IMG_0493-L.jpg

my board is a little short for the Cali but just right for a  V11 or Uly..

IMG_0502-M.jpg

@Foto - That is a smart and simple solution on the wheel chock, thanks. I was thinking about the "weakest link" thing too. I'd shy away from a steel part that would rip the front case of my engine - would certainly prefer the sidestand to break and protect what it's attached to. Like a lizard's tail... 

@JB - A wheel chock will cost you about the same as new sidestand... then NO pressure on the sidestand for most of it's life.  But if you do break one, remember that I'm holding a spare in reserve, I'd gladly ride Angeles Crest to bring it to you.  :race:

I do wish there was an side stand upgrade made of steel instead of the cast aluminum of the stock one.

Anybody here ever found or fabbed one up? Or am I being paranoid?

My initial thought was fit a stelvio side stand - the euro version is the same length as the v11 leg. If you REALY want to know how viable this is, I can try swapping between bikes but to be honest - the v11 one looks much sexier.

I suspect the wobble is coming fron the attatchment bracket - the stelvio bracket is a monster that mounts at 3 points ( rear of motor, rear of frame, and the footpeg bracket) . Seems like a lot of hassle though.

There is one thing that all of these drops have in common..... You have never said the F-word ( or a whollotta words ) as loud as you do when this happens !

I have since replaced the timing cover and tapped the hole the main bolt goes through, added a longer bolt. Also the steel bracket is super flimsy mine is bent and the 5mm bolts that go through the upper sump will rip out too.

I currently have to carry around a little chunk of wood to put under my stand because it's so f-ed up...

But I have all the parts to replace it and will do it this winter (soon).

Also that big shoulder bolt is tapped into that steel bracket. Snug it up every so often along with the nut behind it....

Think I've had every issue known to man with this, as once said "Rube Goldberg" side-stand. Like Jake Lamotta though I never went down... Okay once I did...

I had the big shoulder bolt snap off on me one time.  About a $27 part, still available.  

Snug it up nice, but don't over tighten it.  Mine snapped right where the shoulder meets the threads.  

I made sure to lube the new one up with grease.  Works much nicer when she's lubed.