Oh no a tyre question!

guzzler

G'day Folks

Sorry to start a tyre thread, but I did a search and couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for, so thought I'd pose the question to your learned selves.

When I went to put air in the tyres on Thursday night in preparation for my usual Friday commute to work I noticed the rear was reading 17psi, bugger!

On checking yep, bloody great nail wedged in there!

So looks like new tyres are in order.

So now the question.

I've been running  Michelin PR 3's for the last 15 thousand kays 120/70/17 front and 170/60/17 on the rear on my 2001 V11 Sport and am bloody impressed with them.Now the PR 3 has been replaced with the 4 and wish to try these.

The problem is they don't have a 170/60 except in the GT which is from what I can gather  for luxury barge's like my mates Gold wing.I don't reckon the V11 needs such a tyre, but what are the consequences of running one on it? A harsher ride perhaps?

So I'm leaning towards trying a 160/60 on her, and the main worry I have is will it speed up the steering much?Any  issues?

I've had the suspension sorted ( new fork springs, re-valved. and the rear has a Hyperpro 460 shock and set up for me ) and frankly think she steers quickly enough at the moment and I'm bloody happy with it and no issues with stability in a straight line either.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks and I  promise not to mention oil.

Cheers Guzzler. 

I certainly like my 160. I wouldn't say that it steers "quicker" (I know this is all relative and subjective), maybe just more *connected* between the front and rear.

I've always said about tyres, "Worth trying something new. If I don't like it, it'll be worn out before long."

Of course, I say that, but am pretty stuck on using the Pirelli Angel GT in 160. ;)

Thanks Fella's

I found some earlier tyre threads on the subject and the consensus seems to be to  run with the 160 on a 4.5 inch rim!

So to that end I've ordered a set.

They get fitted next Friday.

Looking forward to trying the 160.

Cheers Guzzler

Ps Roy the nail went in between the grooves then bent on an angle such that it cannot be repaired.

Still I got 15 thou ( kays ) from it so all is not lost

15,000 km and it wasn't worn out, that is twice the distance that I can knacker a tyre in, I am amazed. Is it just the PR3 or just your road surfaces and riding style?

Rob

Mate

I'm amazed at  modern tyres, well the Michelin Pilot Road series anyways.

Back in the day if you got 4 to 5 thou from a rear you were doing well.

While I don't ride like I used to when I was younger ( 4 x discs in my neck fused together, rods etc ) I certainly don't baby her!

However I must admit most of these kays have been commuting 140ks round trip to work on the freeway.Since we sold up and moved to the country 2 years ago I haven't had much time to just get out for a ride just for the sake of it.So I like to get a ride in at least once a week even if  it's only the commute!So maybe this is a factor?

Anyways I do hope to be able get a lot more riding in from now on as we have some great roads around here once you get away from the freeway.

So it'll be interesting to see how long the PR4's last with some  more fun in the hills !!

Cheers Guzzler 

We pulled four of our bikes out for a ride yesterday, actually we did two separate rides two bikes at a time, and had a great time. But I mention this because I had forgotten how worn out the Michelin PR3's are on the wifes V11. I am not sure how many miles it took to wear out, I stopped tracking tire mileage a while ago. I found it interesting how the dual compound PR3 wore. The very bottom has a noticeable flat section in the center but there is still rubber left, then the middle area of the two side is worn down to where the grooves of the tread are near flush. And it is clear that the wife likes left handers better than rights. It seems funny to have a tire wear out on the sides before the middle is toast, but that seems like a better way for a tire to wear.

I reckon the wifes V11 will need new tires shortly. I expect I will go with the new version of the PR's, the PR4. Hers has a 4.5" rim on the back, as it is an early red framer, so it will be a 160.... again.

LowRyter- Where did you purchase your Pocket Tire Plugger Kit? Is it small enough to fit in the tail section of your Sport? And since money is never a consideration when buying stuff for our bikes :-), how much? Thks.

Jerry