Chatter at higher RPMs

Rox Lemans

Was riding the Ole Scura the other day in the hills I would get some chatter at around 6000rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear ( it's at least the only gears I've had it at 6k). The flywheel and clutch assembly are brandy new.

Of the reading I've done folks say numerous things from check the valves to the gear box is about to explode .

Any ideas?

Let's have another Scura rally, then we can compare and see what's going on. This time we can actually ride Scuras instead of our LeManseseses (what is the correct plural form of LeMans?)

You need to get it over 6,000 RPM in all the other gears - in the name of "research."

• Like 1

Possibly a contact rattle, with the rpm's providing just the right vibe. Check the head pipes where they join the crossover. They can get very close to the case. Anything else that's been removed/attached.

Scud.. that be LeMens

• Like 1

Was riding the Ole Scura the other day in the hills I would get some chatter at around 6000rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear ( it's at least the only gears I've had it at 6k). The flywheel and clutch assembly are brandy new.

Of the reading I've done folks say numerous things from check the valves to the gear box is about to explode .

Any ideas?

How does "chatter" relate to an engine issue? The term "chatter" in the motorcycle world relates to suspension related performance issues, generally more on race bikes.

Ciao

Solved my issue and it was stupid.

I noticed from the seepage my gear oil was low so I topped it off and cleaned the bike off. A good wash and a layer of Hondaline cleaner. I then took her out . Chatter gone . Got it home and gear oil was oozing out the hole. I look at my Lemans ..... there's a bolt in that hole. I guess it's an overflow hole or something . A 6m x 30mm. Bought a bolt and washer and test rode . Viola. I guess the chatter was my trans telling me she was low. The leak was probably a bolt lost in service or in transit. Thankfully it was a 3$ fix instead of a 5hr fix.

Solved my issue and it was stupid.

I noticed from the seepage my gear oil was low so I topped it off and cleaned the bike off. A good wash and a layer of Hondaline cleaner. I then took her out . Chatter gone . Got it home and gear oil was oozing out the hole. I look at my Lemans ..... there's a bolt in that hole. I guess it's an overflow hole or something . A 6m x 30mm. Bought a bolt and washer and test rode . Viola. I guess the chatter was my trans telling me she was low. The leak was probably a bolt lost in service or in transit. Thankfully it was a 3$ fix instead of a 5hr fix.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about I'm afraid.

Ciao

The only chatter I ever get at high RPM's is from my wonderful wife telling me to "SLOW DOWN!".  

• Like 2

Truly. Where is this mystery bolt? If yours fell out, we all ought to have a look at ours . . . :luigi:

FB_IMG_1465675384256_zpsskvjpp6w.jpg

See the hole where it seems a 6mm x 30mm hex bolt should be? Well a 6mm x 30mm hey bolt should be there... ;-)

That hole is not intended to be an oil overflow - it is meant to hold parts of the transmission together. If it vibrated out, then everything else becomes suspect. I would replace it immediately, inspect all other similar bolts, and re-torque every single one. 

I wouldn't think it would but kind of hoped. A bit too high ..lol

Nonetheless it stopped leaking so I guess that little bolt meant much.