V11 Sport with strange metallic rattle

Tinus89

The RM is 2°Series, they came without these parts. I don't know the early 'crown' versions of '99/2000, maybe they needed them. Don't bother, you would have noticed that something's missing.

The manifold's also different to that pictured here.

If it's not, you have nothing to seal the gasket..

I'm not sure I understand where these parts actually go? My exhaust has a flat face, which I think should seal against the gasket.

The RM is 2°Series, they came without these parts. I don't know the early 'crown' versions of '99/2000, maybe they needed them. Don't bother, you would have noticed that something's missing.

The manifold's also different to that pictured here.

I have the second series (not the crown, but the oval flange), but I think the drawing intends the use of those flanges for both...

The parts circled in red allow the ring that bolts to the head to push on the pipe just shy of the head. The rings that bolt to the head are large enough to slip over the end of the pipe, so without something else there is no way they could push the end of the pipe into the exhaust port on the head. So, the two circular parts fill the gap between the ring and the pipe, allowing the ring to push the end of the pipe into the exhaust port on the head.

I do not know if all V11s have those parts, but if your ring can come off the end of the pipe as ours can they have to have something.

Sooo, I replaced both gaskets. Came out quite easily. The right one had a minor leak, see the pic:

IMG_0975.jpg

The metallic rattle is still there... Any other ideas?

Not over the internet. What if you check TLM for this? You're far away from his shop?

I am indeed quite far away from them, but I did check with them last year (with the bike there). After listening, they gave me a list to check when I disassembled the engine. Which I did, and found nothing. I don't really feel like going there again....

At this point, I'd say run it till it blows.

Earplugs. Guzzis make many noises that aren't fatal. Pete says the only fatal one is the "Dogga dogga" noise. :huh2:

I think I have made my decision indeed, to leave it for now and see if it develops for something worse, and then fix the collateral damage :bbblll:

Thanks for the help all!

• 2 weeks later...

Since the sump is already dismounted, you could further dismount the oil filter assembly (just 4 screws) and then drop the rod big end screws to inspect the plain bearings. Reassembling is no problem as the screws must not be replaced, Just to be sure about that.... Torque is around 65 Nm if I remember that well. 

My next step would be to inspect the cam shaft axial bearing as Phil an others mentioned. Whith the Stucchi tensioner you can unscrew that small 8 mm nut and remove the tensioner with the chain and wheels in place. At this stage check also the crankshaft axial play. The front bearing can be changed from the front without further disassembling (just remove the chain sprocket) in case of wear. 

If after all that the noise is still present, I would dismount the heads to check valves and guides for wear. This is very common on the V11 engines and the only weak point. 

As I pointed out on my much earlier post above. wear of the valve guides is not uncommon on a V11. 

Compared to the work done up to now, this is a minor issue...

Since the sump is already dismounted, you could further dismount the oil filter assembly (just 4 screws) and then drop the rod big end screws to inspect the plain bearings. Reassembling is no problem as the screws must not be replaced, Just to be sure about that.... Torque is around 65 Nm if I remember that well. 

My next step would be to inspect the cam shaft axial bearing as Phil an others mentioned. Whith the Stucchi tensioner you can unscrew that small 8 mm nut and remove the tensioner with the chain and wheels in place. At this stage check also the crankshaft axial play. The front bearing can be changed from the front without further disassembling (just remove the chain sprocket) in case of wear. 

If after all that the noise is still present, I would dismount the heads to check valves and guides for wear. This is very common on the V11 engines and the only weak point. 

As I pointed out on my much earlier post above. wear of the valve guides is not uncommon on a V11. 

Compared to the work done up to now, this is a minor issue...

I would agree, but:

- Would I not see significant oil consumption over the valve stems?

- Could this cause a metallic rattle?

You'll see a puff of blue smoke on startup with worn valve stems, but not much consumption, really. Metallic rattle? I wouldn't think so.

And even then there's still the question whether they must be changed or not. I opened my engine at 125.000km because the valve train then was really noisy at higher revs - that is around 8000 rpm. So what ...