V11 Sport with strange metallic rattle

Tinus89

I've never seen one that bad, but I suppose that could be true. By that time, you'll probably have the heads off looking for why it's fouling plugs.  :2c:

• Like 1

I cant really see the guides being seriously worn at 34,000klm, not with the milegaes some have on this board. My record for guide wear is my Daytona engine, with one guide at 0.030". Thats not stem wobble thats actual clearance between the guide and the stem. Never heard it run so I dont know what it sounded like.

Pulling the heads and a de coke and a set of K-line guide sleeves is cheap and effective option though. K-lines are better than the original guide material.

Ciao

I asked my local machine shop about "K-lining" valve guides and they looked at me like I was crazy....

Is it a specialty thing?

Then its a shop of Muppets.A k-line kit is simple and relatively inexpensive. Each guide takes about 5 min to ream, sleeve, size and trim to length. The material is far superior to most std guide material and the interupted spiral grooves aid lubrication and reduce wear as well. I've seen them used on road and race engines and they are great. The big advantage also is that when you remove a worn guide and heat the head and drive in a new guide it never goes down the bore exactly the same as the old one so you end up needing to recut the valve seats which means cutters and lost seat material. The K-line doesnt suffer from this as it goes down the original guide ID so a valve lap is usually all thats needed.

Ciao     

(D) Find another shop.

Yep, or buy your own kit and do it at home.

Ciao

That seems ambitious for most of us with simple garage tools?

(D) Find another shop.

Yep, or buy your own kit and do it at home.

Ciao

That seems ambitious for most of us with simple garage tools?

Thats all you need to use the kit, a hand held drill and a cheap pneumatic rivet gun.

Ciao

Worn guides but good seats? New valves and old seats?
Doing only one seldom makes sense. If this type of work is due I'd always visit a professional engine shop, never ever a Guzzi dealer with rattly equipment, dull tools and whatever more those also continuosly going out of business sheds can offer.
Professional equipment costs big money - but gives equaly big results.

Doing only one seldom makes sense. If this type of work is due I'd always visit a professional engine shop, never ever a Guzzi dealer with rattly equipment, dull tools and whatever more those also continuosly going out of business sheds can over.

On technical point of view, I fully agree Luhbo.

Have you ever seen a loose seat on a Guzzi head? Could that make noise without loosing compression?

I have never seen these K-Liners before, very interesting, I like the idea of not disturbing the old valve guide. Do they work OK with bronze valve guides?

I have never seen these K-Liners before, very interesting, I like the idea of not disturbing the old valve guide. Do they work OK with bronze valve guides?

Yes they do.

Ciao

Doing only one seldom makes sense. If this type of work is due I'd always visit a professional engine shop, never ever a Guzzi dealer with rattly equipment, dull tools and whatever more those also continuosly going out of business sheds can offer.

There are many engines that are notorious for guide wear but the valves and seats seem to be ok. Guzzi Daytona engines, 70's Triumph twins, Ducatis of various models and earas.K-lines are NOT some band aid fix but a genuine improvement. As I said I've seen them used in race engines and road engines successfully for years.

As for valve seats, well pretty much all manufacturers dont offer seats as a replacement part and unless you pay to have the seats made from scratch and installed at vast expense ( yes I know someone that does this) then you're not going to pay that kind of money unless is absolutely necessary. 

Ciao

• 4 weeks later...

Hubert

I disagree to this statement

Seats in Guzzi heads are very good material quality. That is not just my opinion, The engine shop where I bring all my heads to be reworked stated this. So it is only on rare occasions necessary to replace them. Just a slight rework to have a good seal...

Guides is a different thing. They can wear very quick. But in case of the V11 the valve stems wear quickly. I had this experiance on my own V11 - at 9000km the valve stems had a remarkable edge that you could feel with the fingernail. Another V11 Ballabio I reworked last winter suffered of very worn valve stems after 12000 km. This V11 suffered also of oil consumption. I replaced all valves and the guides on the exhausts. 

And concerning the equipment of an engine shop: I prefer a good working man with old eqipment that knows what to do with it. Modern equipment is always for high volume production. The results are mostly not better than old equipment can realise.