What oil?

Guest SoCal Nick

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most highly recommended product is Redline Shockproof Gearoil ( which is a synthetic - blue, too). I'm running 75-150 which they consider "Lightweight".

Interesting! I'm running Red LIne 75W90 "All Synthetic Formual High-Performance Gear Oil" in my tranny along with Red Lne Friction-Modifier Break-In Additive. But this stuff is the normal dirty yellow oil colour -have I been shortchanged? Blue sounds extra cool. :rasta:

Interesting! I'm running Red LIne 75W90 "All Synthetic Formual High-Performance Gear Oil" in my tranny along with Red Lne Friction-Modifier Break-In Additive.

The Redline 75W90 synthetic gear oil already has the friction modifier in it. The 75W90NS (non slip) is the oil that does not have the friction modifier in it.

The friction modifier is to help limited slip rear drives from chattering. Not sure what adding more FM will do, but it is waste of money.

I currently use the Redline 75W90 with great results.

I will be trying the Redline heavy shockproof and lightweight shockproof this season.

The shockproof oils have heavy doses of moly and other extreme pressure additives to help cushion the gears from heavy loads. It also contains additives to help the oil "climb" onto the gears and stay there.

They also are suppose to protect like a 75w250 (heavy) and a 30 weight oil (lightweight) but also has the same coeficient of friction of the regular gear oils.

for much more info, look at this Redline supplier.

http://www.myoilshop.com/AutoPrds.html

I'm feeling like the world is , "once again, spinning on greased grooves" (Steinbeck).

I went to the garage and checked on that blue Gearoil. Sure enough, it's in a sealed container and says "Red Line Synthetic Oil" on the front. :thumbsup:

It goes on to say "lightweight SHOCKPROOF� GEAR OIL."

Guest captain nemo

1. How many quarts go into a dry gearbox?? (recall)

2. Can you get Redline Shockproof at any local chain stores like Napa?

Gearbox hold .850 liters.

Redline is a "specialty" oil only found in certain speedshops, not in regular stores.

Best place for service and prices is this:

http://www.myoilshop.com/AutoPrds.html

Great info at this site. I'm trying Redline motor oils this season. (street not racing oils. racing oils have little to no detergents)

Guest Thundering Subash

What you choose to run in your bike is a personal choice which I think should make sense to you. I personally feel that Moto Guzzi makes a tough engine of older design that for my riding style probably doesn't care whether it's running motorcycle dino oil or pricey overmarketed synthetic oil. So I choose to use old fashion Valvoline motorcyle oil, which I call cheap only in comparision to a full synthetic motorcyle oil, which costs about three times as much. :blink:

Like most Guzzi owners, I love my bike and plan to have it as a dear friend for many years to come. :wub: From the automotive vs MC oil thread, I tend to agree with "A word of caution for new bike owners. If you use pure synthetic oil while you are breaking-in your new engine it may be too slippery and not let the piston rings seat in quickly. Use a petroleum-based oil for the first several thousand miles (or whenever mileage your owner’s manual recommends for break-in) then switch to a synthetic." As a matter of fact, I personally choose to take this concept a step further and not even make the switch to synthetic now that my bike is "broken in". Call me old school. :thumbsup:

Change your oil at regular intervals, and more importantly, have fun riding. :bike:

Oh, and one last thing, I'm stepping away from the oil thread now. :D

:mg:

Oh, and one last thing, I'm stepping away from the oil thread now. :D

:mg:

What about starting another dipstick thread then?

Personally, I think it's a pity that no one wanted to know the next instalment of this story.

OK , I'll bite. Whats the ' rest of the story?'

I ordered one those accessory sticks but haven't seen it or a price yet. it occurred to me the plastic stick would be easier to check hot.