Gearbox transmission oil

Colorobo

Don't want to open a can of worms but what is everyone running and why. I don't want viscosity breakdowns, scientific specs, ect. Shockproof heavy, shockproof light, ect . What causes leaks and what works. And Happy Thanksgiving for those of us in the US, and for everyone else have a great day and a beer. Rob

Had this annoying drop of gearbox oil on the x-over every morning, giving a bad and probably not so healthy smell when using agip.

Put in RL heavy shock proof. Thought also to maybe find out where the funny pink stuff would come out. But the leak is gone since I put RL in. Don't know why.

Maybe it's thicker when hot?

Don't quite understand, cause I thought the RL HSP oil is thin but acts as a thick oil?

Shifting hasn't really improved using RL. May even have gotten worse. maybe time for new oil after 10.000 km?

I thought it was interesting.. should have taken a picture. When I pulled the pre selector off the Mighty Scura after draining the transmission, the gears were still totally covered with the RL light. I've seen a picture somewhere where it looked like the gear oil had drained completely off them. I can see where if you drain, measure, and refill the rear drive for instance.. it could become overfilled.

I thought it was interesting.. should have taken a picture. When I pulled the pre selector off the Mighty Scura after draining the transmission, the gears were still totally covered with the RL light. I've seen a picture somewhere where it looked like the gear oil had drained completely off them. I can see where if you drain, measure, and refill the rear drive for instance.. it could become overfilled.

I admit to doing this my rear drive with RL Heavy over the years. Until the seals couldn't take it anymore. :blush:

Well I have to thank everyone for the great information on the Moto Guzzi and the needed Oils as we all know Oil is the life blood of machines.

As I have been informed I need to rethink how I do things lol. As I would tend to change the transmission and differential fluids every other oil change whether it needs it or not. But with these new synthetics it is probably no longer needed to change these oils every 5 or 6OOO miles?