Grips

joe camarda

The natural rubber grips ---- yes, Ive had those too. I liked their feel and look. I had them on a bevelhead ducati I once owned. Ok, where did I get them. I found them in a parts catalog at a Harley shop, of all places. They werent for harleys but the shop had many catalogs. I found these in some place like Flanders etc.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dkgross

Al..can you take a photo of the grips mounted on your bike?

Nemo...what do you mean by 'too narrow'? Not long enough? Not thick enough?

My bars are indeed quite elevated...I just find the stock grips really hard...

Guest captain nemo

I think these grips are too thin - "not thick enough." I also think they are not real soft to my hands. I put my hands on them and was not impressed. But, like I say, if you have elevated bars, it is not such a big deal. It IS a big deal to me because my bars are low. I think you really have to go to the shops and feel different things and see for yourself. I did order my present grips because I was pretty sure what shape I preferred. They are a big improvement on the other stuff I used. Still looking though......

Agreed, everyone's idea of comfort will be very subjective, hence the variety of grips out there ^_^

For me, larger diameter grips = more pain :huh2:

That's the primary reason, other than they were also kinda hard, that I dumped the Hot Grips brand heated grips, and installed the Dual Star heaters under the Pro Grips referenced earlier. Their large diameter exacerbated my carpal-tunnel numbness, and made it hard for me to feel like I had my hands all the way around the grip... and in control. I like the narrow(circumference) feel of the stock grips, but they were too hard.

Pro Grips makes many many different types, hardness, diameter, etc grips BTW. So head down to one's local MC shop and give them all a squeeze :P

A casual squeeze of the these grips may belie how comfortable they are though. I don't know how Pro Grip does it, but the "gel" they impregnate these things with really soak up the vibrations and make a huge difference as compared to the stockers, and other grips I've tried.... including big squishy ones that just pack down while riding, and insulate all ride feedback <_ these grips remind me of that age foam is really thin but can take a huge impact deflect the energy under normal use are still firm and supportive... they also kinda sticky which i like.>

But again, it's like everything else in life, it's a very subjective choice, and one man's perfect grip may be a source of discomfort for another :huh2:

al

P.S.

...there was a question about "how to put the grips on"?

Well, that's like an "oil thread", everybody has an opinion ^_^ ... everything from hair-spray(which I've used sucessfully for years) to various industrial adhesives :rolleyes:

For my most recent application I used a high-temp epoxy made for rubber/plastics, only because I applied them over my Dual-Star heating elements. I would have probably considered hair-spray again otherwise.... which might have still worked, I dunno :huh2:

I suspect that when the grips finally wear out, which based on my old pair on the FJ... should be a very long time... I'll probably have to cut them off, and install new heating elements when I ruin them with the blade :huh2: But hey, they're only $30, and take about 30 minutes to install, so if I have to do that every few years, I can live with it :thumbsup:

Yikes! You had to glue yours on? :o I just took off the bar ends so as not to scuff them and used compressed air to get the stock ones off and install the nice, squishy ones before replacing the ends. Do you think these grips will 'slide' down when it gets hot out? :unsure: I wear some Olympia gel reflector gloves too...they really help in the carpal tunnel area..no pain after riding anymore and my hands don't go numb :thumbsup: mik

IMHO, one should always "glue"(even as simple as hair-spray) any grips on... whether on a bicycle or motorcycle. I've seen far too many cases of grips getting wet from rain, etc... and just sliding right off! That can make for shocking maneuvering :o

YMMV :huh2: ...but I wouldn't feel comfortable just sliding them on.

al

I've never seen any slide right off but I have seen them migrate out enough to rub on the bar ends or bar-end mirrors causing the throttle to stick open or return very slowly. :o

Al..can you take a photo of the grips mounted on your bike?

My bars are indeed quite elevated...I just find the stock grips really hard...

'dk'

These grips are indeed much more comfortable then the stock 'hammer handles' while maintaining a good sense of control.

grips_on_sport.JPG

Guest dkgross

thanks Doc!! I'll figure out how to put mine on. Thanks for the hairspray tip as well..I thought about using a little stronger adhesive, but...maybe not..

:)

• 2 months later...

I don't know what sizes off hand - sorry... But I hadn't read this thread before and I have the answer to the "what are the brown grips?" question.

I am restoring a 74 Ducati and the grips you are talking about were used on these bikes and made by Tommaselli. They have been out of production for a while now but there is a gent who sometimes stocks them.

www.ducatimeccanica.com (Canada)

or

www.bevelheaven.com (USA)

Just don't tell them it's for a Guzzi, they get a bit touchy over there... :wacko:

Rj

What size grips are needed? I see Pro Grips in 125mm, 130mm, and 135mm sizes.

Thanks

Gosh, I have no idea..... I've always just cut my old grip off and taken it down to my local "Cycle Gear" type store, and held them up side-by-side :huh2: I don't recal what size I ended up buying, but I think it was the only size they had in stock.

I measured mine, and they came out to be 120mm, but they may be squished on a bit, so I dunno :whistle:

I'd say just go measure yours first, but the 125mm would be fine I'm sure.

al