V11 Sport tire size? - 170 vs 180

mayormenino

Ok another controversial topic.

For 01 V11 Sport owners:

I'm in need of new tires, what are the pros (if any) of using a 180 over the stock 170 spec tire? 

My tire change guy is totally against putting a larger tire on such a small wheel, arguing the tire will be pinched and the profile that results reduces the size of the contact patch - ultimately resulting terrible cornering. I'm inclined to believe him but he doesn't ride Guzzi's and has no experience with their tire performance etc. So I'd love to know where enthusiasts who experimented have experienced.

Agreed with LowRyter, yet your 2001 has only a 4.5 inch rim and was delivered with a 170. Many have found a 160 has more desirable handling a wear characteristics.

Your 2004 is a  2nd Gen V11 (2002-2004) and has a 5.5 inch rear and uses the 180 (or 170) you reference.

My bike is a 5.5 and takes a 180 and I will be switching to 170 for a trial next time. Many riders at my old BMW dealer did that swap, as did I on my R1100s. There is, at least some consensus on the web, that the mfg's addition of a wide tire to many sport-style bikes, was purely for the look.

• Like 1

I use a 160 for quicker turn in

After some reading I have noted that many have gone with the 160 rear tire due to handling qualities. Plus it helps the wallet a bit as well I would think.

Never thought of the 170 though. I guess if the tire manufacturer had a tire of that size it would give a compromise between the 160 and 180.

Just to clarify (if possible :blink: ):

1999-2001 (RedFrame/RossoMandello) V11 / 4.5 inch rear rim: delivered with 170/60-17 (*some* riders find a 160 advantageous).

2002-2004 (LongFrame) V11 / 5.5 inch rear rim: delivered with 180/55-17 and *some* riders have liked a 170 better.

So, I would not want to run a 160 on a LongFrame (2002-2004) with the 5.5 inch rim.

• Like 1

I like the 180 on the LeMans....course, I like the 3.50 x 18 on my V7 sport ... :grin:

to bad I can't use all the tire on either one of them     :ninja:

andy

Maybe if you finished grinding the rest of that sidestand off on the tarmac? :race:

Good point, yet 170 are common and will fit either rim size.

Still seems ungood to me to put a 160 on a later 5.5" rim or a 180 on the earlier 4.5" rim.

The one real issue with the 160 size is that when you are out on the road and blow a tire hardly anyone has one in stock. Just about everyone has a 180.

I carry a tire plug kit and a pump.  Don't go any long trip with worn tires....

• Like 1

Good point, yet 170 are common and will fit either rim size.

Still seems ungood to me to put a 160 on a later 5.5" rim or a 180 on the earlier 4.5" rim.

Agreed.

The one real issue with the 160 size is that when you are out on the road and blow a tire hardly anyone has one in stock. Just about everyone has a 180.

I carry a tire plug kit and a pump.  Don't go any long trip with worn tires....

I actually do that but after running over a nail and losing it at speed I unknowingly damaged the sidewall. After plugging and getting back on the road the tire developed a bulge on one side. I called everyone in the area with no luck. After limping 40 miles to my destination (TWO of Suches) the closest tire was 60 miles away. If it weren't for the kindness of strangers I'd have been screwed.