Anybody recognize this knocking sound?

Hansson

Another thing is that those flywheels are anodised regal and hard as buggery. While my hatred of aluminium timing gears is legendary I have installed a LOT of alloy flywheels both with and without lightened ring gears and I've never had a problem.

Set the idle too low, sit for long periods with the clutch pulled in, run unbalanced throttle bodies? Yes, you may have problems! But that would be true of a flywheel made of any material, or any common material.

Pete

I think I've found the cause, from where the noise comes. There is backlash between the gears of first gear. 

I'm not so sure about this anymore.. I had a conversation with the gearbox guru Rolf Halvorsen, and he says that the movements and sounds of the gearbox is normal.

In the search for the cause of the noise, I found another backlash. It's in the splines of the clutch friction plate. And there is more backlash in the newer replaced plates than in the old original plates, which have been running around 30,000 kilometers. It seems that the new plates are not as precisely produced, with accurate tolerance, as the original AP plates. Take a look at yet another video (Full Screen). Perhaps it's difficult to see how much difference the backlash between the plates is, but I see it as substantial.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cTu58Dx28vbmlYN1QyVlJUSjA

I just re listened to your video and your bike sounds just like mine, flick the clutch quickly and it stops clattering for a bit when the plates realign and then after you cycle the clutch it starts up again. Meh, mines been doing it since day 1. I'd forget the gearbox and go with the Aluminium flywheel. MartyNZ made some valid technical points about aluminium as a material but its mostly irrelevent in the grand scheme of things with regard to the flywheel. A bit like the argument about how bad telescopic front forks are, technically valid but more honoured in the breach than the observance, so to speak. Ducatis have used aluminium baskets as have Japanese bikes for many years and fatigue failure is not a realistic worry. Neither is wear really with the exception of the dry clutch Ducatis and even then they last for 30,000 or so Klms before replacement. The Guzzi however has far more toothed surface area so its life would be many times greater. Besides unless you spend all your time commuting or towing a sidecar around then the std flywheel assy is a massivly heavy joke and needs to be ditched for something lighter. Even the lightest V11 flywheel is in my opinion way too heavy.

Ciao 

Thanks Lucky Phil, for your positive response. Just what I want to hear.. :bier:   

You confirm in a good way my own thoughts about aluminum flywheels for Guzzis (as thoughts of other manufacturers clutch baskets, and the toothed surface).

Pete Roper has valuable references that should puncture discussions about the unsuitability of using aftermarket aluminum flywheels  :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

I've now managed to silence the clattering noise!

The reason was as I suspected.. Too big backlash at the center of the (new!) friction plates. I decided to order new plates made by "Newfren", in the hope that they would be tight in the splines, but not even these were as tight as the old "AP". Now there are new clutch facing, taken from the new "Newfren" plates, mounted on the old AP clutch plates. The Newfren plates are 8,3 millimeters thick so I've let grind the plates to 8,0 millimeters.

Yesterday I started the motorcycle for the first time after working on it, and found to my great delight the silence  :D!! Today I did the first test trip and everything sounds and works perfect!

Welcome, this year's season! It's time for many amazing miles on the road  :race:  

• Like 3

Very happy for you. Now let's see some Swedish landscape photos with a red V11.  :pic:

• Like 1

Thanks guys for a positive respons  :)

Here's a simple snapshot for you Scud, taken two days ago. Chuck, you have to wait until it gets warmer outside..

2017-05-06%20II_zpsdfzpmowz.jpg

• Like 1