clutch slave

andy york

Outer diameter of cylinder is 40mm at base, and 38mm at the stepped part.

The cylinder extends 18mm from the flat surface. 11mm for the thick part, and 7mm for the stepped part. 

Outer diameter of cylinder is 40mm at base, and 38mm at the stepped part.

The cylinder extends 18mm from the flat surface. 11mm for the thick part, and 7mm for the stepped part. 

both holes on the top are the same - 10mm x 1.0

3 fasteners are on 50mm centers

piston is 30 mm

andy 

Ok, so, the top holes, mounting holes, and cylinder extensions check out.

Could be down to measuring method, but this piston looks to be 32mm and the outer diameter of the "Stepped part" of the cylinder: 37mm

:huh2:

I used a digital caliper and rounded up to nearest mm.  40mm was actually 39.something; 38 was 37.something.

Comparing Scud and Andy's V11 cylinder to this one from a 2006-2007 Breva part.

The O-rings would have separate part numbers?

Moto Guzzi parts catalogs only show the complete slave cylinder - not the component parts of it.  The diagrams do show the O-ring for a secondary piston that rides in the rear transmission case, but that is not the O-ring in question.  Maybe you could find a Grimeca rebuild kit to compare O-rings?

By the way - I want to know more about the spring. I ass-u-me-d that a hydraulic clutch slave would work the same way as a brake caliper, which does not have a spring. Why would a clutch slave need a spring that would apply force in the same direction as the hydraulic pressure? I don't feel like taking a perfectly good one apart. Andy - do you still have the failed one from your bike? Can you pop the piston (probably just needs a puff of compressed air) and see if there's a spring behind it?

The clutch has a spring to keep the clutch push rod up against the bearings.  Otherwise it will rattle around.  On brakes, you want the piston to pull back into the cylinder a bit so the brakes don't drag.  My GL1200 hydraulic clutch was just like the V11.  My R100GS manual clutch implemented the spring on the clutch push rod lever.

Hmmm... we are seeing some differences.  Here's an illustration with my actual measurements.

IMG_6448.jpg

I think we are good on the measurements

i have the 1st "step" at 38 mm

2nd "step" at 40 mm

depth measured on the outside   18 mm (from the face where the piston is flush to the flange of the unit)

inside depth is 27.5 mm

first seal is of an o-ring type

inner seal is of the square profile o-ring

the actual piston dia is 30mm x 24 mm in length 

Part #s  V11 series - GU 01086330

griso/norge          FU 05086330

stelvio                  978739

MGX                     85220R

andy :huh2: