LED Brake Light Bulb

swooshdave

I'll be switching to all LED in my V11s shortly. Especially the headlight. These Guzzi factory headlights are like riding with candles strapped to the front of your bike.

I'll be switching to all LED in my V11s shortly. Especially the headlight. These Guzzi factory headlights are like riding with candles strapped to the front of your bike.

With so many choices  for the H4 LED, post what you find. I don't suppose we have this entirely figured out (yet).

Are you running a separate headlight relay?

Before switching try adding a relay in the bucket to bypass the tiny wires to the bar switch, makes a huge difference

• Like 1

You don't want White for the tail light. With LED you want the light to match the lens. I posted why on Wild Guzzi recently.

After enough coffee, that read helps make sense of the physics of LED lighting and why there will likely be a "driver chip" involved.

The tail light LED unit is spectacular. And self contained (no external driver, no fan). I hope we can source something similar for the headlamp, but suspect that the desired color and output will typically require the driver and fan.

After enough coffee, that read helps make sense of the physics of LED lighting and why there will likely be a "driver chip" involved.

The tail light LED unit is spectacular. And self contained (no external driver, no fan). I hope I can source something similar for the headlamp, but suspect that the desired color and output will typically require the driver and fan.

Energy = heat

No getting away from that.

But because it's electronics it's just a matter of time before we have super powerful LED bulbs that are compact but I doubt we'll getting away from the cooling needs. What would be nice is variable speed cooling fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so a white LED "bulb" will not appear red through a red taillight lens? I don't care about the science, just the result.

A white LED will appear red inside a red tailight lens, but it will be dim. Here's why.

A red lens filters out all visible light except red. Only red can pass through, and the rest is absorbed.

So all the light from a red LED passes through the lens with no loss, because it is only red emission. 

A white LED is most likely a blue LED with a phosphor on the surface which glows (sort of bluish) white. Then only some of this white light can pass through the lens. This assumes that the bluish white light has some red component to its spectrum. 

There is two losses in this. Blue to white, and white filtered, to leave only red. This means that a white LED will be dim compared to a red LED when viewed outside a red taillight lens.

Swooshdave is right, it is best to avoid a white taillight LED.

For the same reason, LED indicator lamps inside standard indicator lenses are best if their native colour is amber/orange/yellow, rather than white. 

• Like 2