whats with the rosso mandello clutch (help!)

dangerous dave

can anyone tell me if the price i have been given for parts alone to replace the clutch in my Guzzi R.M v11 sport is kind of correct, the dealer has said £1,200 for just the parts then there will be substantial labour on top of that !!! i know its a nice italian bike but that sounds absurd , it is heading towards being a large expensive ornament with a cost like that just for a clutch, this cant be right. 

If the intention is to swap the single plate for a twin plate, I'm afraid the prices are correct. You need to buy the steel flywheel and pressure plate, which are pricey. There are lots of clutch threads if you search for Tenni/Scura/rosso mandello. I bought a second hand twin plate flywheel and pressure plate and new plates and swopped it myself. Not easy to find second hand parts. Alternative is a 'Ram' after market clutch, if you can get one. Do you know for sure if yours has the original clutch and alloy flywheel fitted? It could have been changed in the past.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

sounds like a tool box falling down the stairs when in neutral, two dealers have commented on the noise, one being a guzzi agent, and the other my bike mechanic of 30 years (now recovering from a heart attack so wont be working again for a while)

i wouldnt know which flywheel it has, the bike has 18,000 genuine miles, would have thought a bit early for clutch trouble , but my previous steed was a zzr1100, mechanically brilliant, very fast and very boring (compared to the guzzi) but i suspect even a clutch for  that would have been a lot less (granted there are economies of scale (size of production runs))

Alloy flywheel could be breaking/cracked. I'd avoid riding it as if it comes apart it could do lots of damage to the bell housing and the gearbox. There are some nasty pictures on the web. Have a read of some clutch threads. I started one on a Tenni clutch when I swapped mine. There is a list of parts needed and some discussion of the Ram clutch too.

Mine had done 13500 miles. My friction plate was worn. The alloy flywheel was still intact, but fine cracks could be seen around the centre where the bolts go through.

Swapping for a twin plate is the easiest, and most common solution to this problem. The clutch itself is pretty easy to replace - it's getting access to it that's the hard part. You have to remove either the engine or the transmission - as you'll see when you read the various clutch threads.

Your bike (along with Scuras and Tennis) came with a great-performing clutch - attached to a too-soft flywheel. And the problem is actually with the flywheel, not the clutch. The twin plate clutch uses a different flywheel. It will not be quite as crisp when it engages, but the difference is subtle. I think you'd be very happy for a long time with a more durable twin-plate clutch and flywheel.

...and as it happens, I have almost everything you'd need. I'll go double-check my stash.

Has no one designed a flywheel that will work with the single plate clutch?

It's one of those long complicated stories that adds mystery and intrigue to owning one of the three "special" V11s.  Here's a recent chapter from that story:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19510

IMG_6120.jpg

I do have almost everything needed. Besides what's pictured, you would need:

• 5 of the softer clutch springs to alternate with the 5 new firm ones
  • 6 flywheel bolts and washers
  • 1 new retaining washer for the transmission input hub

The above is at a minimum. The friction discs and intermediate plate have some life left in them, but you might prefer new parts.

If you want to do it yourself, you will need

• a clutch installation/alignment tool (not pictured)
  • Special socket to remove the shallow (single-plate) input hub from your transmission and replace with the deeper (twin-plate) input hub
  • Input hub wrench

When you go over the many posts covering the single plate clutch/flywheel, be aware the Ram 6 speed single plate "lightened" clutch is NLA, afaik. But.. the Ram 5 speed clutch will "most likely" work using the unique-to-6 speed parts that you already have in your bike.

Note... I say "most likely" because I don't think anyone has actually done it. Research shows it's the same clutch except for the 'hub' and maybe the actuating rod.

Scud, you're like Santa and the fairy godmother rolled into one. I'd jump at Scud's offer. I waited ages to get hold of a second hand flywheel and pressure plate.