Power Commander or Chip?

Guest Apexlocator

I currently have Mistrals on my 2001 V11 with no other performance mods and it feels like the midrange power may have dropped a little bit, but top end may have improved. The biggest difference is the sound, which is great, but I'm thinking of getting a PCIII to get that mid range back. I would guess it's running just a bit lean around 4K rpm. This is where the often noted dip in the power curve occurs...

I wasn't going to weigh in... but I have a few minutes to burn here, Heh.

I have documented proof that even a bone stock Guzzi can use a remap/PCIII... even more so with *ANY* modifications. I choose the PCIII because, for me, it makes the most sense in ease in getting "the" perfect map utilizing Dynojet's "Tuning Link" Software. Again, this is off of documented graphs & words from all of those that have had this process done properly. This holds true for the 200+ dynoruns and over 100 PCIII maps that I personally (and only) have been involved in, in one way or another.

I'll continue to add that the top 10 bikes in AMA Superbike racing (actually, all classes... including the likes of HRC, etc., etc.) utilize Dynojet/PCIII/Tuning Link map wiriting sessions at every race. Period.

Woodburn, I quoted you because the power "dips" you are experiencing are less related to the fuel map, then they are the actual exhaust. This is where your "feeling" comes in. You actually do need a fuel mapping adjustment, but the stock crossover is your weak link right now. This has been well documented on GuzziTech.com under the "Performance" heading, and also among other websites (also linked there as well). I'm currently parked in Central Cal if you're interested in any help with your bike.

Of course, and always... My $.02.

Todd

Certified PCIII Tech

AMA Pro Official

so I'm waiting for Jaap on this one. I know I can trust him

(and he was even able to improve the power delivery of the seat of his pants).

:lol:

Trust ME? You'll be the first! Even my GF doesn't : "You have to ride again? Where are you going to all the time?" :whistle:

I forgot: my Mistral (=Lameroni) mufflers and x-over were installed at the same time, so all my previous statements on mufflers alone are hereby declared invalid. Together they made the midrange dip almost dissappear.

But they are loud. And get louder. I had to install db-killers because my GF could here me 7 kms away from the house!

With the K&N's and PCIII I have the meanest sounding bike in a 15 km radius! And it runs like a friggin freight train!

the stock crossover is your weak link right now.

Sorry to ask another question that 90% of people are probably deeply bored with

but that's the nature of a forum :huh2:

– is this comment particularly concerned with a USA 'stock' crossover, with additional emmissions related constrictions, or is it just true of the Stock MG design anyway?

and Jaap, where are you going to all the time? :whistle:

– is this comment particularly concerned with a USA 'stock' crossover, with additional emmissions related constrictions, or is it just true of the Stock MG design anyway?

As far as I know, the crossover is the same worldwide.... :huh2:

There are no "emissions" stuff inside the North American version for sure though.

al

I thought there were earlier posts to the contrary.

I don't have time to search now. Was the crossover that was opened up (photos posted on forum) not cleared of some sort of internal baffle and then put back together?

Maybe I need stronger medication, less medication, more coffee or less coffee or a good sleep. :blink:

I thought there were earlier posts to the contrary.

I don't have time to search now. Was the crossover that was opened up (photos posted on forum) not cleared of some sort of internal baffle and then put back together?

Yes, and as far as I know they all have some stainless steel "mesh" welded to the top and bottom surfaces on the inside of the crossover, which no doubt acts as some sort of sound baffling. But there isn't any emissions coatings, filters, or obstructions inside the crossover that I am aware of :huh2:

al

Right, I had the impression that there is a spec. that has a more constricted or baffled through-flow.

So maybe a new crossover does have to be on the wish-list then.

I did do a search – only found the posts from Gthyni & Jaap saying they couldn't find it either.

I did see this from Janusz: 'Just by reading famous Guzziology I could not figure out if our bikes have crossover internals hollow or, like Jackal and Stone contain an extra muffler or even God forbid muffler AND catalytic converter like late Swiss models.

Does anybody feel like taking the crossover out and tell us? You will be able to see straight through the crossover if there is no muffler inside. If the inlet immediately curves into the crossover without a direct path to the same side muffler, the crossover is also a muffler.

If thats the case any hollow crossover will help a lot, even if it's not Stucci. '

Well,

I have cut one open.

Indeed there is a mesh with some damping material

between it and the wall 3-4 mm perhaps and

a couple of bolts from top to bottom.

The damping it more to reduce noise/resonance from

the crossover than restricting flow.

Guest Apexlocator

As the originator of this thread I thank everyone who has contributed to my new found knowledge. Now, I fully understand that I can actually take the advice of my local mechanic and friend who told me to just buy cans if I wanted sound and forget it. He said everything else was more of a dealer profit money maker than absolutely necessary.

However,

There IS a difference when you do the air/fuel mod apparently and why would I want to "hurt" my bike. So, the NEW question is.........what if I "live" with the slightly less running performance, dip at 4K, what have you, and DO NOT do the air/fuel mods to my '03 LeMans and only put Mistral cans on.......do I harm the bike in ANY way????

Thank you guys and gals.........really appreciate your patience here.

Frank

Amo amas amat

Can you rate the improvement incrementaly?

What difference with just the Mistrals?

How much more different with the rest?

I got a reply from a supplier today saying that (with the CRISIS and all) they think there may not be any more Titanium kits made by Guzzi. I was advised to go for Mistrals (Lamaroni?) instead and advised they give 'more power' anyway.

:huh:  :huh2:

I currently have Mistrals on my 2001 V11 with no other performance mods and it feels like the midrange power may have dropped a little bit, but top end may have improved. The biggest difference is the sound, which is great, but I'm thinking of getting a PCIII to get that mid range back. I would guess it's running just a bit lean around 4K rpm. This is where the often noted dip in the power curve occurs, but I didn't notice it at all until I put on the Mistrals. I also never hit the rev limiter before the Mistrals. I guess I'm spending more time in the higher RPMs either because I'm avoiding that power dip or because it just sounds so damn good.

I've got the Mistrals on a 2000 V11 Sport and also the Stutchi crossover. Most people seem to agree that the crossover solves the midrange problem. I used to spend most of the time up around 5k rpm and above because of the same problems. Now with the crossover and the appropriate PCIII map the bike pulls strongly without and detonation from below 4k rpm even with the throttle whacked wide open. In fact, pinking is now for the most part just an ugly memory at all rev ranges.