Gears

windchill

801 miles on the clock, booked for first service, and my gearbox seems to have packed up.

All under warranty of course, Aprilia situation notwithstanding!?, but has anyone else experienced this: perfectly normal all day, no noises, bumps, bangs, etc, but tried to go down through the box on a steep twisty descent, only to find that there was nothing other than 5th!

Lever still moves normally etc, but the oil looks very black now through the sight glass.

Also, has anyone had problems with paint chipping off their footpeg/swing arm castings?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windchill, I've seen low miles Scura where selector forks shattered. Doesn't sound like normal problem of pawl spring breaking, cos then pedal is stuck (usually in 3rd). Check pawl arm dimensions while box is apart, save you problems later with spring. Sorry you got the problem, Good luck with it. Let us know what you find.

KB :sun:

WOW! That's a georgeous bike!

And glad to see a wrecker company that knows how to move one.

(resized picture) docc

Apparently it was a failed spring!! A part worth less than £5.00 which will cost over £500 (under warranty) to replace!!!!

The dealer has also agreed to replace the swing arm/footpeg castings with red anodised ones as the original gunmetal grey paint was not keyed properly. Even the slightest stonechip/boot rub caused flaking. The paint could be chipped away with a finger nail.

Two weeks to back on the road!

Ahh, looks like one of the few 2003s we've heard of with the infamous return-spring failure. More info here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1633

...if it is your return spring as covered in the FAQ, make sure they replace the bracket/boss, not just the spring. Otherwise you'll just have this failure repeat itself in a couple thousand miles :unsure:

al

Guest sweep

my bike is still in for its 7th spring to be fitted in 14000miles showed my dealer the link on the sizes of the boss the sp[ring locates on he has checked it and its the 15mm proper size!

what the fu**s going on i was all excited when i thought a solution had been found to the very hit and miss problem. now its back to square one :angry:

Apparently it was a failed spring!! A part worth less than £5.00 which will cost over £500 (under warranty) to replace!!!!

Windchill,

Do you know which spring broke? - there's 3 in there, one of which is a common failure. What are they having to replace? £500 - must be other damage? Do you use Colwyn Bay?

its the 15mm proper size!

what the fu**s going on i was all excited when i thought a solution had been found

Sweep, me too.

When I checked the action of the spring on the oversized boss in my bike it became coil bound with very little movement. With the correct boss the action was free. I was hoping this was the reason for the breakages. It still makes sense to me & I'm very puzzled by your experience. Does your dealer have any views on why the springs are breaking?

KB :sun:

Guest sweep

Baldini

I did speak to my dealer yesterday, and they did say that where the spring has the 90 degree bend and locates on the "selecter" arm it was quite worn and had a very sharp edge this appeared to be wearing the spring in this spot and causing it to break.

This wont wash with me, I could understand it if the bike had 40 -50000miles on it but it does not explain the breakages at very low miles and the fact that some boxes are fine and others are not and this is from what I understand across all production years, but the worst years being 2001 and 2002. I dont understand why it should happen if there have been no mods to the box.

I have run out of patience with AWS and I am informing them that i am going to start proceedings to get my money refunded, I realy do love this bike, but I just can not rely on it to get me where I want to go and back again. and with all the paint falling off all over the place.

I hope to see you at the meet in the midlands as I dont expect to get it resolved that quickly.

Chris (sweep)

Well, add 2004 models to the list. :angry:

Had a great time riding to SW Missouri with three other Guzzis from this past Thursday, returning Monday. Well, most of the trip was wonderful. On day 5, last leg, got stuck in first gear, in Kennett, Missouri, about 500 miles from home. Yikes.

Had to rent a U-Haul truck (& trailer, as they would not let me put Ballabio inside truck). Cost $550USD in fees and gas. See following urls for trip pics if you care.

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?show...Uy=-ose8eb&Ux=0

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?show...Uy=-k81r1p&Ux=0

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?show...&Uy=asktxv&Ux=0

Ballabio is now at dealer, and fellow rider on trip sent me Al’s closed post on broken pawl-spring, etc. http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1633

I faxed that to my dealer, who tells me that there is a “new & improved” spring (not boss) in his hands, and they hope to have me back on the road soon. “Soon,” as we all know, however, is often in such cases an endearing mix of Genesis and geological epochs.

After reading the above posts, I am concerned about repeats.

Bill

Guest sweep

Bill

dont get your hopes up about the new and improved spring this was the type fitted to my tenni last time. it lasted about 1500 miles. I left home for a long weekend trip with a new spring just fitted and I did not make it home I had to be recovered the last 100 miles.

apparrently the original part number is atill used but all springs suppliedare now the improved? ones.

Chris (sweep)

Now mine has broken – I presume.

Only 1200 miles on the bike.

Before purchase the 'new improved spring' was fitted. :!:

When riding home at tea time this evening I rolled on from almost standstill to cross ongoing traffic on a dual carriageway. The pedal felt wrong but wouldn't go down any more so I assumed it was in first. It wasn't. It was just stuck. Engine stalled and back wheel locked and slid. Not funny in traffic.

Now what? I'll have to order parts (spring/pawl) from England. Wonder how long it will take? Ferry is booked for Midlands meet in June.

...assuming that's what the problem is. :(