Spring is sprung

belfastguzzi

Add me to list as my prawl spring thingie broke - for the second time - today on my way home from work. Managed to sneak home in 1st gear at 6.000 rpm going 60 km/h.

Pleased as fook, chuffed like hell... :not:

Søren

PS: Tried to find a decent translation of the word 'boss' but the only thing that comes up is 'boss' (surprise, surprise) as it's the same in Danish. I'm referring to the boss where the spring is attached. Any good suggestions in either German, Dutch, Swedish, Urdu or Swahili? Please help, senores.

TIA

Søren

PPS: And thanks for the reference numbers, Gary. I was also scrolling through various links in order to find them.

To me, that is a post or pin, not a boss. At least as an English speaker . A boss is more monolithic and typically an integral part of whatever it sticks out of. Of cours ei Am assuming that is what this is, something screwed into the casting ? if it is cast in, them I guess boss is correct.

PS: Tried to find a decent translation of the word 'boss' but the only thing that comes up is 'boss' (surprise, surprise) as it's the same in Danish. I'm referring to the boss where the spring is attached. Any good suggestions in either German, Dutch, Swedish, Urdu or Swahili? Please help, senores.

"Stud" or "lug" might be alternative synonyms. Not really as correct as "boss," but might give you something of a x-ref for translation purposes...

• 3 weeks later...

Today afternoon, going back to work, stopped in a traffic red light. Neutral gear, waiting for the green light. Then engaged 1st gear and stuck there. I couldn't shift to 2nd gear. The lever just didn't work. I rode 1 km with 1st gear and 30 km/h. Awful!

Tomorrow I wil have to see what the problem is...

Supposing the spring broke?

Today afternoon, going back to work, stopped in a traffic red light. Neutral gear, waiting for the green light. Then engaged 1st gear and stuck there. I couldn't shift to 2nd gear. The lever just didn't work. I rode 1 km with 1st gear and 30 km/h. Awful!

Tomorrow I wil have to see what the problem is...

Supposing the spring broke?

Snap

I got another email yesterday from someone with a broken spring (they were trying to get the faceplate off).

So it goes on. And on.

Snap

Soren, if boss is the same word in Danish, why were you trying to find a translation?

I've just looked at Apple's dictionary on the laptop. It says

boss – noun

a round knob, stud, or other protuberance,

• Mechanics an enlarged part of a shaft.

So as you can see it is the right word.

If you are desperate for another, try knob

or protuberance.

Good luck.

Hey! Who you callin' a knob? :angry:

Worse yet: I see that this Friday, here in America, is National Boss Day. Is that the same as National Knob Day? B)

Hey! Who you callin' a knob? :angry:

Worse yet: I see that this Friday, here in America, is National Boss Day. Is that the same as National Knob Day? B)

Technically, yes.

My wife and I run our business together. Today, the nice ladies that work for us got us a gift certificate to a local eatery for Boss Day. I tried to amuse the wife with the whole knob thing, but she didn't get it. She's seems rather steadfast in her view that she's the Boss and I'm the Knob and that, in fact, there is a difference. <_>

My wife and I run our business together. Today, the nice ladies that work for us got us a gift certificate to a local eatery for Boss Day. I tried to amuse the wife with the whole knob thing, but she didn't get it. She's seems rather steadfast in her view that she's the Boss and I'm the Knob and that, in fact, there is a difference. <_>

:lol::D

Say no more.....

Made me giggle Docc!

Søren

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I just joined the "Broken Shift Return Spring" Club on my way home from work today.Managed to get it into 3rd gear.

It's a good thing i only live 5 miles from work.

Anyway,i was wondering what it entails replacing the spring.

I think i have a shop manual for my bike(2004 V11 Lemans)somewhere around the house but it might be quicker to visit the Factory and watch them assemble one.

I didn't really study my bike to closely tonight as i had to rearrange the order of my bikes so i could ride my Sport 1100 while i'm working on the V11 .

Thanks for any support

Mike

I just joined the "Broken Shift Return Spring" Club on my way home from work today.Managed to get it into 3rd gear.

I think i have a shop manual for my bike(2004 V11 Lemans)somewhere around the house but it might be quicker to visit the Factory and watch them assemble one.

I didn't really study my bike to closely tonight as i had to rearrange the order of my bikes so i could ride my Sport 1100 while i'm working on the V11 .

Thanks for any support

Mike

Hi Mike

Ive been in there a couple,2-3 times Im over in Accord if you need help.I may also have an extra spring.

Basically the procedure is,

Disconnect battery

Take off shock remote

Take off starter cover

Dump trans box fluid save it if it's recent,replace if it been more than a couple seasons

Take off connections to starter

Disconnect neutral switch

Remove starter

disconnect gear change linkage

remove the 11?! bolts that hold on cover,may have to tap off with a rubber mallet and yer in

Take note of the position of the section gears there should be two indents to indicate alignment

Yours may have extra bracing that Guzzi added later,mine doesn't

Some info from one of my expeditions,with dumb newbie questions,that was about 4 times ago and the clutch was probably the reason why it shifted badly,but hey I can get the cover off in about 15-20 mins now :homer:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16884&st=0&p=180879&fromsearch=1entry180879

Michael

I have a 2002 v11 sport and want to do the pawl spring fix / check before a trip to highlands of Scotland in June. I can't see the images in Belfast Guzzis article.... is there some way to access them?

Regards ridon29

Thanks for any support

Mike

Hi Mike

Ive been in there a couple,2-3 times Im over in Accord if you need help.I may also have an extra spring.

Basically the procedure is,

Disconnect battery

Take off shock remote

Take off starter cover

Dump trans box fluid save it if it's recent,replace if it been more than a couple seasons

Take off connections to starter

Disconnect neutral switch

Remove starter

disconnect gear change linkage

remove the 11?! bolts that hold on cover,may have to tap off with a rubber mallet and yer in

Take note of the position of the section gears there should be two indents to indicate alignment

Yours may have extra bracing that Guzzi added later,mine doesn't

Some info from one of my expeditions,with dumb newbie questions,that was about 4 times ago and the clutch was probably the reason why it shifted badly,but hey I can get the cover off in about 15-20 mins now :homer:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16884&st=0&p=180879&fromsearch=1entry180879

Michael

Thanks for the info Michael.I ordered my spring today.I'll order an extra one s i know i;ll be ordering more parts for one of my other bikes.

There's a British bike show in Oxford Ma that i would like to ride to.You should go as well.lots of other brands going as i understand

Hi Mike

Just make sure your in neutral before you take the cover off.

Would love to ride up,I'm from Worcester so makes a good excuse to see the family.But I work most weekends through September.Let me know if you need help with cover.If you can ride during the week or an after work let me know.Lotta good roads over in Dutchess.