BOWTEX ELITE Shirt - extremely light can be worn underneath directly - AAA homologation (120 km/h/75 mph)

Absolutely it's the humidity that makes the difference....

I've ridden in 46 degrees and traffic a few times... yep in the gear ( leathers ) but as a younger bloke!

The last time I tried that was in a crazy heat wave here about 10 years ago, I hydrated big time before the 25 kay commute home (back then) but it really knocked me about. It was rammed home to me in a big way that I'm not 30 years old and fit any more....!

I think we (well me anyways ha ha ) seemed to be a bit slow to realise the fact that we're old farts now... but I do get it NOW.

So for the last 10 or so years I don't ride under 5 and over 35, well not if I can help it.

Must admit we're getting more of the humidity from the north coming down here at times the last few years and I hate it, no where near as bad as Houston though and makes working in the yard a pain! Or most anything really.

Yep it took one more reminder to learn for good.

28 degs + the humidity and I did 5 big hours in the yard in the sun and it bloody knocked me out...Collapsed into the pool dragged myself inside and drank litres of water plus electrolyte drinks plus didn't move from the sofa rest of the day!Lesson well and truly learnt! You don't muck about with dehydration!

Cheers

Ps I'm a big fan of the old traditional leathers and have never tried a mesh jacket so can't comment on them.

• Like 3

@guzzler

After viewing "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" several times, I always dreamed of doing that same trip on a motorcycle.

I had once the opportunity to be transferred to Australia, but ended up in Kazakhstan instead; by the way, another place in the world very prone to discovery on a motorcycle.

Somehow, I am really resilient to extreme heat, and I can ride under the scalding conditions we often experience here. But that does not make the ride more pleasant.

Any kind of jacket, vented, mesh what not, is heavier than the Elite which weight can be compared to that of a T-shirt. Unlike a T-shirt, it is tight on your body, so the cooling effect is subdued.

Yesterday, I rode with it directly on my skin, and verified it is not a good idea. You still need an undergarment to absorb moisture. This is where the SIXS shirts come handy.

Unfortunately, none of those brands are distributed in the USA.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, guzzler said:

You don't muck about with dehydration! 

No, definitely not. When it's hot, you have to keep pouring the water in.

36 minutes ago, p6x said:

@guzzler

You still need an undergarment to absorb moisture.

Yes, I find that with the leathers, too. My favourite at the moment is a very old pure cotton skivvy that I have. Because it is so old, it is very thin. The roll neck keeps the leather collar of the jacket off my skin, and the long sleeves help too. It absorbs the sweat (mostly), and if the jacket is open a bit it thereby helps keep cool, at least as long as I'm moving.

The bonus is, the same combination is also good when it is slightly cool, i.e. good in the heat all afternoon, and in to the evening when it starts to cool down.  :)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, p6x said:

@guzzler

After viewing "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" several times, I always dreamed of doing that same trip on a motorcycle.

I had once the opportunity to be transferred to Australia, but ended up in Kazakhstan instead; by the way, another place in the world very prone to discovery on a motorcycle.

Somehow, I am really resilient to extreme heat, and I can ride under the scalding conditions we often experience here. But that does not make the ride more pleasant.

Any kind of jacket, vented, mesh what not, is heavier than the Elite which weight can be compared to that of a T-shirt. Unlike a T-shirt, it is tight on your body, so the cooling effect is subdued.

Yesterday, I rode with it directly on my skin, and verified it is not a good idea. You still need an undergarment to absorb moisture. This is where the SIXS shirts come handy.

Unfortunately, none of those brands are distributed in the USA.

Mate

When you get away from the coast here in Oz the heat tends to be a drier heat and not as draining on you but still need to be wary of it as it does still knock you about.It sounds like the conditions you describe in Kazakhstan and other desert environments.

I was a fair bit more resilient when younger ( ha ha weren't we all ) and coped but wasn't really keen on it.

The weather is changing and as I mentioned we're getting some ( albeit lesser ) humidity coming down from the north here and I don't like it at all.

Ha ha I grew up in CHCH ( Christchurch ) New Zealand and on the odd occasion ( very odd occasion I might add ) it hit 30 degrees and the nor wester came through it knocked the tripe out of us....

Nigh on 40 years here in Oz and I'm better with heat now ( blood thinned out a bit?) but still reckon I'm warm blooded and handle the cold better!

Cheers 

Ps plus one on the layering of gear too!

• Like 2

Ha ha I doubt Priscilla and co would've gotten the same reception in the wilds of Kazakhstan as they did in Broken Hill though...!

But yeah, I reckon an overland trip including the Stans would be a great trip though.

Alas I've missed the boat on such trips now but am grateful for the travel I've been able to do!

Still having travelled it does give you a greater opportunity to see the whole world in a grain of sand as opposed to never having done so..

Cheers Guzzler

• Like 1
1 hour ago, guzzler said:

Ha ha I doubt Priscilla and co would've gotten the same reception in the wilds of Kazakhstan as they did in Broken Hill though...!

But yeah, I reckon an overland trip including the Stans would be a great trip though.

Alas I've missed the boat on such trips now but am grateful for the travel I've been able to do!

Still having travelled it does give you a greater opportunity to see the whole world in a grain of sand as opposed to never having done so..

Cheers Guzzler

Well, the travel does not mean much. The landscape is different, but the greatest discovery are the people you meet.

This is probably the illuminating experience I retained from having lived in different places.

There are plenty of places which I would love to go back to, and explore again on a motorcycle.

• Like 2

We are under extreme heat alert here in Texas;

Heat index of 110 degF all over.

I had planned to go to Marfa today, for a 1300 miles excursion, but I think I will wait until cooler days. The last time I braved the sun, the glue that stick my tank protection to the tank melted.

I am still going to ride today, wearing a neck gaiter to avoid sunburns with the Bowtex!

11 hours ago, p6x said:

We are under extreme heat alert here in Texas;

Heat index of 110 degF all over.

I had planned to go to Marfa today, for a 1300 miles excursion, but I think I will wait until cooler days. The last time I braved the sun, the glue that stick my tank protection to the tank melted.

I am still going to ride today, wearing a neck gaiter to avoid sunburns with the Bowtex!

Think I'll hydrate myself just thinking about it.....

Then again it'll be wine o clock in t minus 4 hours!

Cheers 

Ps be safe out there mate

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just throwing it out there, I *rarely* use this but for extreme heat/humidity riding. A Thor impact rig se. It's made, I think, to be worn over a light shirt when moto racing but I wear it as an undergarment with a just loose jersey over. I have worn it alone under the Aerostich. Basically just armor laced together with a thin mesh shirt. Close to being shirtless in the wind, but armored up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CN5IX4/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_y0-qvb0N7SVQ5

https://moto85.ru/upload/iblock/09d/09d91af2821ef3a282f9aa05dbe416a8.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 11:16 PM, footgoose said:

Just throwing it out there, I *rarely* use this but for extreme heat/humidity riding. A Thor impact rig se. It's made, I think, to be worn over a light shirt when moto racing but I wear it as an undergarment with a just loose jersey over. I have worn it alone under the Aerostich. Basically just armor laced together with a thin mesh shirt. Close to being shirtless in the wind, but armored up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CN5IX4/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_y0-qvb0N7SVQ5

https://moto85.ru/upload/iblock/09d/09d91af2821ef3a282f9aa05dbe416a8.jpg

These have to be tried "in situ" to find out if they work. I am wondering about the poly-urethane parts though.

The current heat index in Texas is simply out of the charts, and I doubt there is any viable solution to that kind of weather.

These temperatures wear out your plastics since they were never conceived for that exposure.

I have been around, in places deemed "hot"; I don't think I experienced this level of discomfort ever before. I am still able to ride, but I fear more for the bike than myself.